Took the VCDX Enterprise Exam the other day....

NetJunkie

[H]F Junkie
No clue if I passed. It'll be close, I suspect. 70 multiple choice questions for half your score and then 11 lab questions for the other half. My main complaint is that they expect you to memorize custom settings and config file syntax. If you want that then give me access to like Google. Things like that aren't memorized.

If you're going to be a VCDX they are ;) That's why there are so few of them that have completed the entire test set and design/defense.

Good luck!

No clue if I passed. It'll be close, I suspect. 70 multiple choice questions for half your score and then 11 lab questions for the other half. My main complaint is that they expect you to memorize custom settings and config file syntax. If you want that then give me access to like Google. Things like that aren't memorized.

Alot of tests do that, it helps them make them more difficult. Wouldn't want them to be to easy now.

If you're going to be a VCDX they are ;) That's why there are so few of them that have completed the entire test set and design/defense.

Good luck!

But see that's where I disagree. If this is a "Master VCP" exam, sure. But the VCDX is about Design, not support. It's not about knowing the syntax for a Linux config file. That's like asking the Architect for a large high rise building about the torque specs of a door bolt. I don't need my head full of that. I know where to find it.

Alot of tests do that, it helps them make them more difficult. Wouldn't want them to be to easy now.

It doesn't make the exam hard. It makes the questions obscure. Big difference. Most other vendors got away from this method a good while ago and I expect VMware to do the same..actually, they have. The vSphere version of this same exam will be all labs though I guess they can be obscure labs like the one or two I had on my exam. If I don't pass it this time I will the next time....I'm not worried about it. That's the downfall of the obscure question exam. You remember them and come back prepared.

even VCDX draws from a pool of qurestions, though. Dont memorize your questions and answers, if you have to take it again, chances of you getting the same setof questions is very unlikely. Congrats on taking VCDX though, I am envious.

It doesn't make the exam hard. It makes the questions obscure. Big difference. Most other vendors got away from this method a good while ago and I expect VMware to do the same..actually, they have. The vSphere version of this same exam will be all labs though I guess they can be obscure labs like the one or two I had on my exam. If I don't pass it this time I will the next time....I'm not worried about it. That's the downfall of the obscure question exam. You remember them and come back prepared.

It makes it hard because its more difficult to pass. It no longer a test on knowledge, its a test of memorization only. When I learn new material, I rarely bother memorizing hotkeys and the entire description of certain elements. I focus on the basics, and then know where to lookup the details.

It makes it hard because its more difficult to pass. It no longer a test on knowledge, its a test of memorization only. When I learn new material, I rarely bother memorizing hotkeys and the entire description of certain elements. I focus on the basics, and then know where to lookup the details.

I think we're agreeing. :) I'm against memorization tests for obvious reasons. I was told they originally let you use Google on these VCDX exams because of this level of detail but removed that when people were cross checking EVERY answer and running out of time.

To me...that's a real world test. You spend too much time on research you fail. Whatever. I'm just trying to get done so I can defend this year at VMworld.

but as a vcdx, that's what you have to know ;)

I think what you mean is "but as a vcdx, that's what you need to memorize for 48 hours for the exam.".

Nope ;)

A certified design expert is expected to be just that - an expert. It's a CCIE level certification, hence the depth that you must go with the design/defense (you do realize it's 300+ pages, right?).

You have to know this stuff forwards, backwards, sideways, and upside down.

That's why they're going to labs - to demonstrate that you actually truly know everything about the technology. Including the config file structure (inside and out). :) And the custom settings that go along with it.

I won't argue here any more. I've said my complaint..and yes, well aware of the full VCDX requirements. That part I have absolutely no issue with as I've already gone through the application and documentation requirements.

But...I will say this. This isn't a CCIE level cert. CCIE is implementation. This isn't. This is a CCDE level cert. And I've taken the first Cisco Design exams and they don't ask detail at this level...as it's not an implementation cert. It's a design cert and the questions were around design, specs, and requirements as they should be.

With the new vSphere Enterprise and Design exams you can tell that VMware took my complaints (and others saying the same) to heart as they are now stepping stones to the VCDX but also extend the current VCP.

I can tell you that the final design and defense with the VCDX will basically be implementation, minus the actual hardware. If you have the VCDX, you're expected to be able to design ~and~ implement, not just design. I know many people with the VCDX, and I'm working on mine as well. :)

Gotta flesh out my test View and LM environment though - pick up some of the pieces there.

Good luck with your design/defense btw. I'm hoping they'll send me to VMworld to present, but I don't think any of my work so far is being featured. Got too much going on :p

Good luck with your design/defense btw. I'm hoping they'll send me to VMworld to present, but I don't think any of my work so far is being featured. Got too much going on :p

Thanks! I'm supposed to be presenting with Cisco on the 1000v. Should be fun. I also submitted to present on SRM and EMC's RecoverPoint but no word on that yet.

/me shudders at memories of some of the early versions of RecoverPoint...

/me shudders at memories of some of the early versions of RecoverPoint...

New stuff is really good. SRAs work well...as long as you setup your journals correctly you're fine. Had a customer that didn't on a test the other week and was taking 15 mins to boot a machine in a SRM failover test. Ugly. :)

"Me: How many spindles are your journals on? Them: We have all the journals on a single 4+1 RAID Group. Me: Yipe!"

Oh yeah, I like the new version, but back when it first came out... there was entertainment.

Failover mode 4 + failover mode 1 on a clariion = ESX goes LOL bye...

They got that worked out nicely though.

Congratulations, dude.

I must admit I was put off VMware tests a bit when I did my VCP3; I found a lot of the questions irrelevant or (intentionally?) vague and misleading. I think a technical exam should be exactly that, something that tests technical ability. Either way, I got it...not before giving poor lopo a rather terse PM. Sounds perhaps like the VCDX exams might be closer to what I was looking for in a challenge.

Can anyone confirm the exact number of people with the VCDX certification? VMware has a "meet the VCDX peoples" site; is that a complete list?

It's pretty comprehensive, IIRC, although there are a few more with it.

Answer: Not a lot.

LALALALALALA..... Trying to schedule my Design exam but VMware hasn't updated my Vue profile yet.

I didn't read through all the posts but I agree with the OP. However, if it's valuable then you have to do whatever it takes to pass. If that means hours of grueling memorization then that's what you do. Sometimes it's as much about the commitment to the goal as it is about ability. Congrats on passing, I'm it sure it feels pretty good.

Back