Torrent Troubles; Can't figure this one out for the life of me

anths

Limp Gawd
Frequently when I start a torrent on my School network, my internet cuts out. After the internet cuts out I need to reset my connection and wait a few minutes in order for it to work again. I called our sysadmin to make sure that they weren't blocking torrents and he said they were perfectly fine. Apparently a lot of people are experiencing the same problem and they can't figure out the reason. The only guess they have is that the I/O requests overload the routers.

I need to either figure this out for myself or find a way to not have so many I/O requests for a given torrent. I have tried using all different torrent programs on both linux and windows xp and it happens the same no matter what program/OS. I can get a torrent to work occasionally but rarely and if it does it is just random with no explanatory reason for it working.

A little guidance perhaps? What other info do I need here?

Are you using an onboard NIC, or a PCI/e NIC? Moving to Intel GigE PCI cards, I've never experienced this again.

This is actually on my dell 700m. both wireless and wired internet do the same. However, I should mention, this has never happened before moving to this school network. I have used torrents on this laptop many times before, and even recently during the holiday season at home, without having the same disconnecting issue.

if your on a school network there is a very good chance they are the cause of yoru issue. Contact their network support and ask if it is ok to run torrents over their network or if they block such traffic.

I'm not saying there are not legitimate uses for torrents however they are a huge pirating/ file sharing tool so alot of networks stricly forbid them.

if your on a school network there is a very good chance they are the cause of yoru issue. Contact their network support and ask if it is ok to run torrents over their network or if they block such traffic.

I'm not saying there are not legitimate uses for torrents however they are a huge pirating/ file sharing tool so alot of networks stricly forbid them.

I agree, i bet the school has the ports locked down, contact the IT and see what they say

allow me to quote myself from the initial post.

I called our sysadmin to make sure that they weren't blocking torrents and he said they were perfectly fine.

its all good man. I just don't want anyone thinking I am trying to get around any rules!

Ive got the same problem. I cant connect to the torrents at all. I also called IT and they said they dont block torrent traffic but I cant seem to find open ports. They wont tell me which ones are open, they said thats a security risk. How could i go about finding open ports on this network?

Is your school assigning you internal IP's or external IP's? Check your IP address, anything that starts with a 10, a 192.168, or a 172.16 is an internal IP address and will either prevent you from using torrents or severely hurt your ability to.

Well if it were a router problem (as torrents can easily take down small-time routers) then woudn't it also take down the network connections of everyone else? The fact that your machine is the only one affected is a bit interesting. Are you sure it's only your machine experiencing this problem when it happens?

Are you connecting through a router that you own or are you directly using the school network?

ok so ive determined i have been assigned an external ip adress. Im connected through my universities wireless system. how can this be. its not like my internet connection crashes but i cant connect at all. I cant even connect to IRC either

I have had issues with my torrents not hooking up without the ports being forwarded to my IP address and have had various internet problems depending on what torrent app im using. if your not having issues outside of that network but are having issues inside the network i would bet some money its not your issue rather its theirs.

As far as finding open ports you can always port scan the network devices to whats open but most network admins really dont like that.....and is a good way to get them to turn you off.

Well im not really worried about getting in trouble considering i work for the university. I just want it to work.

I have an external IP. It seems that torrents just overload the routers here because I let one run overnight (during WAY off peak hours) and it actually worked. Is there anyway to restrict the I/O requests of a torrent to stop the overload effect?

How long does it run until the Internet drops out?

When it drops out are others in the same room or area affected?

Try throttling down the bandwidth that your torrent uses for upstream. Default out of the box torrent behavior typically tries to use the max upstream and even the best Internet connections don't like being saturated. Plus it is friendlier to whoever else shares the network.

But if it turns out that torrent is blocked then please respect the administrations rules.
Personally I wouldn't want torrent on any network that I admin because of the bandwidth issues and the liability issues as to what you could be downloading. Put yourself in the network admin's shoes. He wouldn't be able to tell whether you are download legit items such as Linux ISO or the next feature blockbuster that isn't even in the theaters yet.

Back