Touch Screens Soon to Track 10 Fingers

HardOCP News

[H] News
While the ability to track ten fingers simultaneously on a touch screen seems cool, how many applications can there be that would benefit from this (aside from full size Surface-like devices)? Any idea what practical uses there could be?

The transparent sensor tracks up to 10 simultaneous finger touches--we assume that should cover most uses--making possible complex multifinger gestures such as closing an application by "crumpling" it with several fingers, or playing polyphonic sounds on a virtual piano keyboard.

iMassage my phone
iFeelup my phone

or if you have a large touch screen you can leave smudges all over the screen 10x faster while you "interact" with the "video" you just downloaded. It is still sort of pointless, soon youll be moving on to just 1 hand, then no hands as one has to hold a sock. Pointless technology.

Touch screens that can track 10 fingers and have no practical purpose except that really lagged screensaver demo where you can cause ripples in water. I wonder who will get sued first when small kids start banging on the screen. For the last time, the touch sensors need to be OFF the screen,... just like the keyboard and mouse. I'm gonna go buy stock in lint free wipes and watch the sillyness ensue!

Think of a billboard type scenario. Like you're in the subway and there is a huuuuuge map on the wall that is a touch screen that multiple people can manipulate at once.

Think of a billboard type scenario. Like you're in the subway and there is a huuuuuge map on the wall that is a touch screen that multiple people can manipulate at once.

Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing. Not all screens are small. They could develop one large touchscreen for corporations or advertising that might have several people interacting with it at once.

Sounds kind of kinky to me....

Toys, Virtual Instruments, anything that requires taping with Ten fingers at the same time over a surface...

Think playing jump that finger with a Knife over your 30" monitor. :D

I can think of 2, piano and on screen keyboard. could have an awkward typing angle do...

You guys have been playing Simon the guitar hero says too much lol Playing any type of musical instrument involves range of motion and resistance, something a flat surface doesn't do. It would actually be harder to play on because there is no tactile variation whatsoever.

In the meantime checkout this jam http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ-FC3DLKwc
Tell me anyone could do that on a flatscreen lol You couldn't even fit all the keys! :eek:

aside from full size Surface-like devices

I want a coffee table touch screen already. 4 people sitting around one screen playing something like warcraft/starcraft or any number of old board games that were hell on a billion pieces that took forever to setup and keep track of.

It's nice to see them marketing to the niche market of people with 10 fingers. I, like most people I know, only have 8 fingers. And 2 thumbs...

And also coming soon.... some patent lawsuit by someone who owns some obscure patent that says "a device that tracks multiple presses" and even though they don't have such a device, they win.

It's nice to see them marketing to the niche market of people with 10 fingers. I, like most people I know, only have 8 fingers. And 2 thumbs...

Definitions of finger on the Web:
any of the terminal members of the hand (sometimes excepting the thumb);

Ten.. like for both hands, at the same time? That's nice but I don't think that would be really useful for anything. Especially if we are talking about mobile devices? Or even monitors. Some games could probably use more than a couple but that's it.

What about those hick kids with 6 fingers on each hand.

Won't someone think of the children

That conjures up a vision of horrible communicable disease's running rampant in the subway. :eek: :p

Musical instruments.

I knew a guy who made his own keyboard controller, but it wasn't a standard piano style keyboard. It looked like a steel drum pattern made of touch pads. Reminded me of Marshall, Will and Holly trying to dial in the crystals on Land of the Lost.

Think about the interface possibilities. Stop thinking about the demos we've all seen with zooming and rotating images. Take multi-touch gestures and apply them to the main interface on an iPhone or a large touch screen device like the upcoming Crunchpad.

3 finger slide left to open email. 3 finger slide up to open a web browser, 3 finger slide right for instant messaging. 10 finger tracking would let you have all sorts of different gestures for many different apps, and that's just talking about switching between them, not interacting with each.

Not everyone would use it, but I would use the HELL out of it. Keep it simple so new email notifications pop out from the left edge of the screen and you will always remember to gesture left to open that app. IM notifications on the right, slide right.

But maybe I'm just crazy and am the only person who thinks this is all a great idea.

For me gestures are an over complicated way of clicking an icon. Not to mention I would have to end up memorizing tons of gestures and hope I don't screw em up and end up with something that can't be fixed. Nobody memorizes all the ALT commands in every program they use, though yes some are great. Same thing with gestures, nobody wants to memorize all that, but with gestures you can screw up countless times before getting used to it.

well... my screenname is counting both thumbs so i guess i'm SOL on this technology. damn you mavis beacon for not helping me compensate better!

You guys have been playing Simon the guitar hero says too much lol Playing any type of musical instrument involves range of motion and resistance, something a flat surface doesn't do. It would actually be harder to play on because there is no tactile variation whatsoever.

In the meantime checkout this jam http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ-FC3DLKwc
Tell me anyone could do that on a flatscreen lol You couldn't even fit all the keys! :eek:

Not bad, but I still prefer this guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0FuFfcCZiE

Back