touchpad -- right now

Either pay $250 for the crap accessories or pay $250 to buy one off all the ebay hoarders.

Damn guess people are still suckers for these touchpads even at such a ridiculous price.

That hard part is that it is still a solid purchase for 250.

I don't think so, not really.

Not considering the number of android tablets that keep popping up for $249-$349.

The Acer A500 for $249 the other day, I got my Toshiba Thrive for $199 on BF, Asus Transformer has been $299.

by Christmas 2012 all of the new super ones will be about $200 and begging for buyers.

I don't think so, not really.

Not considering the number of android tablets that keep popping up for $249-$349.

The Acer A500 for $249 the other day, I got my Toshiba Thrive for $199 on BF, Asus Transformer has been $299.

A500 is a piece of crap and those that missed out on the $200 Thrive or $300 Transformer are probably SOL now.

Touchpad has a beautiful screen, has 32GB of internal storage, and definitely the best sounding speakers I've seen on a tablet. Also the 1.2GHz dual core processor is much better than the Tegra 2 and can play back HD videos that Tegra 2 tablets can't.

And some people might even like the 4:3 ratio screen size more than 16:10.

I really can't wait for CM9 on this.

A500 is a piece of crap and those that missed out on the $200 Thrive or $300 Transformer are probably SOL now.

Touchpad has a beautiful screen, has 32GB of internal storage, and definitely the best sounding speakers I've seen on a tablet. Also the 1.2GHz dual core processor is much better than the Tegra 2 and can play back HD videos that Tegra 2 tablets can't.

And some people might even like the 4:3 ratio screen size more than 16:10.

I really can't wait for CM9 on this.

And you get trade-offs for the video playback - no GPS and no rear camera, for example.

At $100 I don't argue it's fantastic bang for buck. Same reason I loved my Nook Color at $250 last year. But at $250? Meh.

But $250-$300 this year can buy you a real Android device. Just not that great of a buy at that kind of pricing.

I just received my Lenovo K1 Tablet with 32GB memory, 10", front & rear cameras for $244.50 free shipping. I got it through Chase Rewards; I just redeemed 24,450 points.

That's the best price for a solid new tablet with Android 3.1. I'm very happy with it so far. It's a little heavy for reading, I can understand the appeal of the 7" kindle black & white.

if you haven't handled one, I'd recommend finding one before purchasing online in a fit of lust. They're pretty damn cheap feeling. You can literally flex the whole unit with some slight pressure. It's definitely not glass and metal like an ipad. I'd rather have a Kindle Fire than a touchpad. At least you know amazon is going to continue doing cool shit with the Fire for the foreseeable future, not jumping ship like HP.

if you haven't handled one, I'd recommend finding one before purchasing online in a fit of lust. They're pretty damn cheap feeling. You can literally flex the whole unit with some slight pressure. It's definitely not glass and metal like an ipad. I'd rather have a Kindle Fire than a touchpad. At least you know amazon is going to continue doing cool shit with the Fire for the foreseeable future, not jumping ship like HP.

Agreed on the long-term support, but a 7" screen on the Kindle Fire vs a 9.7" screen on the HP Touchpad can easily be a deal-breaker for some people. Whether it's webpages or watching video, that's a lot of screen real estate to give up for ~$50. For the people who just wanna get an inexpensive tablet for now, there's lots of good options including the Kindle Fire, but there are definitely tradeoffs at every price point.

On the high-end the iPad2 and Asus Transformer Prime which Anand reviewed are pretty much king (with 28nm tablets coming in ~6months):
Anand Lal Shimpi said:
I stand by my original conclusion to our Eee Pad Transformer Prime review—this thing is definitely the best Android tablet on the market and it cements ASUS' image as being a company that is good at both engineering and design.

I also stand by my conclusion that the Prime isn't perfect. The Prime definitely needs Ice Cream Sandwich. The hardware upgrades alone are enough to make Honeycomb more than sufficient, but it's clear that we're bumping into the limits of the OS itself—particularly when it comes to multitasking.

Personally, I've been trying to score a decent mid/low-priced tablet for my g/f for Xmas, and at this point I'll prolly just buy her a Kindle Fire for now, then sell it and upgrade in the next 6months when the iPad3 and it's 28nm Android competitors hit. For Android, the improved OS and GPU performance will be huge. And with the iPad3 (or Asus' follow-up to the Transformer Prime), IF all they did was slap a retina display along with a few CPU/OS tweaks into an iPad2 frame, that alone might be enough to get me forking over ~$500.

Linky: Anandtech's Sept review of the Kindle Fire
and
their highly positive July review of HP Touchpad when it was still ~$500

Last edited:
No tablets for me till Win8

exactly, I stopped hunting for tablets when MS showed off the win8 os/tablets. all these android and ipad tablets are just media consumption toys that have no productivity. win8 tablets will bring the power of a laptop by being able to install any software and a touch optimized UI for tablet specific apps, the best of both worlds in one device:)

the $99 touchpad was tempting though

Sorry - was trying to get it posted as I found it. Didn't want to waste time by making it pretty....
It's not about making it pretty. It's about following the rules that say to post the product and price in the thread title.

I picked up a 32GB on the 2nd firesale -- while I wanted 16, it was 180 to my door after taxes and the slightly crazy charge of 20 shipping.

The screen is gorgeous - i have the HP thin rubberized case on the way from walmart. WebOS is "okay" but I can see how anyone outside of a general user would get annoyed with it after a week or two. Without a case/cover the touchpad is definitely a slippery little bastard.

Just rooted it and installed Xron's version of CM7 -- it's buggy but works. CM9 on this thing is going to be badass.

For the price -- nothing beats a touchpad in terms of capacity/size/performance.

exactly, I stopped hunting for tablets when MS showed off the win8 os/tablets. all these android and ipad tablets are just media consumption toys that have no productivity. win8 tablets will bring the power of a laptop by being able to install any software and a touch optimized UI for tablet specific apps, the best of both worlds in one device:)

the $99 touchpad was tempting though

Can you please explain what productivity a Windows 8 tablet could provide that a linux tablet couldn't? Is half the screen not taken up by a keyboard? Because other than that, it's not like all the same apps don't exist for both :rolleyes:

Can you please explain what productivity a Windows 8 tablet could provide that a linux tablet couldn't? Is half the screen not taken up by a keyboard? Because other than that, it's not like all the same apps don't exist for both :rolleyes:

One Note for Linux?

First of all, mobilenoter loses because of the creepy guy's voice in their intro video. lol

That being said, what I technically meant was a cross-platform syncing note taking app. Something that works on mobile and my desktop. And I hate evernote. Mobilenoter is ok, but it has a much clunkier tabbing system, weaker search and is not available on the desktop.

Same with the ones in the second link. Sure they work on linux builds, but not android. SO no cross platform syncing. With a Windows 8 tablet (my eventual purchase), I can be on the train commuting with my tablet working with my notebooks and then when I get home/to work, I can pick up where I left off, seamlessly, on a real computer.

Last edited:
First of all, mobilenoter loses because of the creepy guy's voice in their intro video. lol

That being said, what I technically meant was a cross-platform syncing note taking app. Something that works on mobile and my desktop. And I hate evernote. Mobilenoter is ok, but it has a much clunkier tabbing system, weaker search and is not available on the desktop.

Same with the ones in the second link. Sure they work on linux builds, but not android. SO no cross platform syncing. With a Windows 8 tablet (my eventual purchase), I can be on the train commuting with my tablet working with my notebooks and then when I get home/to work, I can pick up where I left off, seamlessly.

I can't argue with you because I am holding off also to see what Win 8 brings, but I am starting to wonder if Linux will not take the crown shortly after that as being more mainstream even for Desktop environments, therefore prolonging my wait even longer after Win 8 comes out. I think by then Google will have a nice desktop distro to rival the simplicity of Win 8, people will wonder why they are paying Microsoft for something that can be free. Then maybe Microsoft will have to just sell apps, and make them available for linux. :D

That being said, what I technically meant was a cross-platform syncing note taking app.

Can you not do this with QuickOffice? I personally haven't used it much yet but from the looks of it you can edit the most commonly used Office docs (Excel, Word, PP) and then sync them to a variety of cloud storage services...dropbox, google docs, box, evernote, catch, sugarsync, huddle, egnyte and mobileme. I don't use many of these but dropbox would allow you to automatically sync in to your PC.

I can't argue with you because I am holding off also to see what Win 8 brings, but I am starting to wonder if Linux will not take the crown shortly after that as being more mainstream even for Desktop environments, therefore prolonging my wait even longer after Win 8 comes out. I think by then Google will have a nice desktop distro to rival the simplicity of Win 8, people will wonder why they are paying Microsoft for something that can be free. Then maybe Microsoft will have to just sell apps, and make them available for linux. :D
I wouldn't hold your breath. Enterprise will not be switching any time soon, and home users sure as hell won't.

Can you not do this with QuickOffice? I personally haven't used it much yet but from the looks of it you can edit the most commonly used Office docs (Excel, Word, PP) and then sync them to a variety of cloud storage services...dropbox, google docs, box, evernote, catch, sugarsync, huddle, egnyte and mobileme. I don't use many of these but dropbox would allow you to automatically sync in to your PC.
I was speaking more to note taking apps. I really LOVE One Note. MS can keep word, excel and power point if they want, but I don't know what I would do without OneNote. It, with either Dropbox or using MS's online syncing is SO nice to go from my laptop to my desktop seamlessly. Plus it's triple-tab system and hierarchy tabs within that makes organization so much better than anything else.

I just don't know of any other app/app-combo that does the same thing.

I wouldn't hold your breath. Enterprise will not be switching any time soon, and home users sure as hell won't.

Except linux is already used more in enterprise for servers. And considering most business still use XP, when it comes time to upgrade and the cost difference between Linux and Windows is analyzed, Linux will be very attractive at that point.

The Desktop user base migration can happen independently from enterprise... its already increasing exponentially and, and as the line between phone/tablet/and notebook blur, and with development standards becoming more cross platform, I think soon enough paying for an OS will seem stupid.

the only reason why 90% of the people I know have winders is because of games.
IF they would sell the same games on linux microcrap would die as a home os.
we have 12,000 employees and if you meet our IT department you know why they push microsoft.
Click here and say oh we can't do anything because of security.
No you can't do that...you know security
yep a bunch of family and friends that have big it jobs and can't spell computer.
OH by the way one even has an A+ cert.

wow

Except linux is already used more in enterprise for servers. And considering most business still use XP, when it comes time to upgrade and the cost difference between Linux and Windows is analyzed, Linux will be very attractive at that point.

The Desktop user base migration can happen independently from enterprise... its already increasing exponentially and, and as the line between phone/tablet/and notebook blur, and with development standards becoming more cross platform, I think soon enough paying for an OS will seem stupid.

Look, I don't want to turn this into Linux v. Windows as an OS debate (besides the fact that no one cares about servers in regards to 'the great OS debate"). The numbers speak for themselves. I was just saying that, for me, one of the reasons that I haven't bought a tablet is the same as what Gabe3 said: current tablets are consumption devices. I cannot justify buying a consumption device for that much money.

A windows based tablet, for my work flow, has much more potential than any of the current alternatives.

Look, I don't want to turn this into Linux v. Windows as an OS debate (besides the fact that no one cares about servers in regards to 'the great OS debate").

It's fine, no one will care, the deal in this thread is useless anyway :p Oh and I think a lot of people care about servers, thankfully whoever hosts this website does or we wouldn't be here!

The numbers speak for themselves. I was just saying that, for me, one of the reasons that I haven't bought a tablet is the same as what Gabe3 said: current tablets are consumption devices. I cannot justify buying a consumption device for that much money.

A windows based tablet, for my work flow, has much more potential than any of the current alternatives.

Your love for OneNote is the only thing that seems to turn a production device into a consumption device :p Tablets regardless, with half their screens being taken by a keyboard, will not be productive machines for quite some time IMO.

Your love for OneNote is the only thing that seems to turn a production device into a consumption device :p Tablets regardless, with half their screens being taken by a keyboard, will not be productive machines for quite some time IMO.

Hehe. I believe it's LUST, not love, lol. But still, I think it is an example of where things are going that Android doesn't get yet, and iPads are just starting to get close to with iCloud: Inter-system syncing and interoperablity of files. Right now, if I create a file on an existing tablet of any kind NOT Windows, I have to email my document to myself or manually send it to dropbox etc. With OneNote, and it's web syncing abilities, no matter where I am, when I open OneNote, it has updated with the latest version. I'm not sure what to call it, since it's not really a cloud client, or a thin client, but a seamless back end that makes my mobile products and my static products talk to one another, without intervention, so that my experience/work on each is the same.
I think Windows 8 will have this natively, and it will be what I want. The question is whether, by then, Apple and Google have their own version. One would hope, considering Google has GoogleDocs and Apple has iCloud.

Back