Tracking Your Car? Cops Need a Warrant

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The US Court of Appeals issued a ruling that warrantless GPS tracking by police violates the Fourth Amendment and that people have a reasonable expectation of privacy when it comes to their movements over an extended period of time. Court Systems, welcome to the 21st century.

Both the ACLU and EFF applauded the decision, saying that the Supreme Court had not considered location tracking in such depth and for such a long period of time. "GPS tracking enables the police to know when you visit your doctor, your lawyer, your church, or your lover," ACLU-NCA Legal Director Arthur Spitzer said in a statement. "And if many people are tracked, GPS data will show when and where they cross paths. Judicial supervision of this powerful technology is essential if we are to preserve individual liberty. Today's decision helps brings the Fourth Amendment into the 21st Century."

I wonder if that also applies to GPS data collected via cell phone after the fact.

If the data is kept, a warrant can prolly get to it. If you are talking about convictions that were already gained using that method without warrant, time and what happens in the appeals courts will show us/

Yep all for it , recent events have made me decide that I will have to ask/determine/demand to know exactly what kind of data logging any new vehicle has before I sign the sales contract. Now dont that beat the band. Not going to even talk about a cell phone.

Good!

Now if we can simply work on that whole bullshit law that many places state if you publicly video tape a police officer you can be arrested for a warrantless wiretap

What if it's your car that's been stolen? If you have gps tracking in it, think the cops are going to give you beef about having to get a warrant to do anything about it?

What if it's your car that's been stolen? If you have gps tracking in it, think the cops are going to give you beef about having to get a warrant to do anything about it?
Why would they give you beef? If you can prove you own the car that is called "probable cause" and would allow them to obtain a warrant.

Your car. Your GPS tracking device. Why do you need the cops' permission to use it?

Well this is great news... this could set a precedent for future cases against cookies and trackers installed and saved onto your computer from a website... They actually had a decent article in the Wall Street Journal on those last weekend... they said it was part of a series.. but i havent picked up any issues since then...

Your car. Your GPS tracking device. Why do you need the cops' permission to use it?

Read my post again. The article says that cops can't use GPS without a warrent. Obviously, this means that can't just walk up to someones modified car, tag it, wait for the speed readout to go above 70, then go arrest them. I'm saying that if someone steals your car and you use a GPS to track it, how likely are the cops going to say "Sorry, nothing we can do, don't have a warrant to follow the GPS signal"? You know, because they don't want to deal with it.
Kinda like how if someone backs into your car in a parking lot, they'll sometimes say "Oh, nothing we can do, it didn't happen in the street".

Maybe the cops around here are just assholes.

Back