Trade with eqtitan

asuka10456

[H]ard|Gawd
So I traded him a laptop and cash for a computer and some other stuff. Everything comes fine besides the case(Damaged) and the PSU was missing the cables. He also made a thread about the thread and the UPS claim here http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1661979. I have been messaging him for about 10 days, no response although he logs on the forums. So I messaged him on another forum anandtech since hes been active there. He tells me that he did not send me a damage case and hes pretty much isn't going to do anything about it if UPS doesn't accept the claim. If I receive the case damaged, I'm sure I'm not liable for it. He assured me at the time it will be worked out even if UPS doesn't give him anything from the claim. He also claimed to have mailed me the PSU cables 2 weeks ago but he refuses to give me tracking, I have asked him over 3 times. He doesn't mention the psu cables at all any of the times he actually responded. Who is at fault here? What should I do? He dragged this on for so long I can't dispute him.

How did you work out shipping? If you paid for the shipping on his side, then you are SOL. If you agreed to each pay your own shipping, it was his choice on how to ship the computer and therefore his responsibility.

He paid his own shipping and I paid my own shipping

I don't even get how would it be my fault even I did pay for shipping. But yeah, He paid for his own shipping. He claimed he paid 70 or so to ship it.

I see that an insurance claim was filed...what was the outcome of that?..its been over a month, surely that have decided by now if they are going to pay or not....

I bought a case from someone on here and it arrived damaged, I took pictures and contacted seller, he asked me to file the claim which I did, he was refunded by UPS and sent me the amount I paid for the case, the whole thing took 2-3 weeks.

I also started a thread about a cpu that was shipped to me and when the package came it was empty, it had clearly been torn open and resealed and had a USPS sticker on it informing me they had resealed it.
I asked who was responsible and the general consensus was it is the sellers responsibility to get the merchandise intact to the buyer, since they have no control over the shipping and they fulfill their part once they pay

I don't know the outcome of the insurance claim, They picked up the case and an damage inspection was done then they returned it to me. They told me the seller will be contacted. He hasn't told me anything new. The seller keeps asking for my phone number and name. Although I gave it to him quite a few times. He said UPS store that shiped it wants to contact me directly but when I called the UPS(800 number) they said they will contact the sender so there is nothing I can do.

I don't even get how would it be my fault even I did pay for shipping. But yeah, He paid for his own shipping. He claimed he paid 70 or so to ship it.

If you had paid for shipping, then it would be on you to select exactly what shipping features you wanted- ie, tracking, insurance, signature confirmation, etc. So if you didn't pay for insurance, then there is not much you can put on the seller- since you didn't want it. It's pretty well known that cases get damaged in the mail, its just a fact of life. As a seller, all cases get insurance and photos for me when I pay shipping.

If you had paid for shipping, then it would be on you to select exactly what shipping features you wanted- ie, tracking, insurance, signature confirmation, etc. So if you didn't pay for insurance, then there is not much you can put on the seller- since you didn't want it. It's pretty well known that cases get damaged in the mail, its just a fact of life. As a seller, all cases get insurance and photos for me when I pay shipping.

I gotta disagree here.......the seller is ALWAYS responsible to get the item to the buyer in the shape in which is was described during the listing, in my opinion anyway.

Otherwise, all sellers could blame issues with the item on shipping, and all shipping companies could say that was how the box was when it was given to us.

The insurance part of it is to make sure the shipping company knows that any damage occurring during delivery will be blamed on them.

Now, when a item has insurance, then the buyer IS ALWAYS OBLIGATED to help the seller process the insurance claim, so that the claim can be paid and neither the buyer or seller is out any money.

The only time major issues occur is when the claim is denied for some reason, like improper packing, possibility of fraudulent claim, etc...

In those cases, it all depends on how well the buyer and seller can come to terms on a solution they both can live with.

In this case, all we know is the the item was insured and the shipper inspected it.

Now we need to see if a claim will be paid or not, although the issue so far seems to be the buyer and seller have not communicated. Since I have dealt with the seller before, so I am gonna try and contact him.

Regardless of who pays its the SELLERS responsibility to make sure the item gets to the buyer, period.

I mean honestly what kind of logic is this? If you ordered something online with free shipping and it came damaged and the retailer said "sorry, too bad we paid for shipping not you" would you find that acceptable?

I mean honestly what kind of logic is this? If you ordered something online with free shipping and it came damaged and the retailer said "sorry, too bad we paid for shipping not you" would you find that acceptable?

You are arguing my point here. The only case where I would say the buyer would be at fault, is if the *buyer* was responsible for shipping costs, and neglected to pay for insurance. ie, you are selling me a case, and I explicitly say "I don't want to pay for insurance, I'll take a risk"

I sent him another PM today, hoping he will get back to me by tomorrow. UPS hasn't contacted me. I also sent him one during the week but maybe it didn't get through. Not sure since he has ignored my PMs before. I really want to get this whole thing settled.

I'm guessing this guy s ignoring me, he has no responded to my pms on here or anandtech although hes logged on. What should I do?

Last thing that we spoke about was waiting for a call back from UPS, after I talked to them they said they would call me or him back. I never received a call and he won't respond back telling me if they spoke to him or not. Don't know what to do at this point. He logs in pretty often he just won't respond to me.

Last edited:
Ive sent him a PM that he needs to address this in this thread.
Let me know if he contacts you and what his intentions are

For you guys who have read the thread UPS said they would call either of us on Monday(last week Monday, not yesteryday) I waited a few days since then no reply from eqtitan or a phone call from UPS. So I pmed him. He hasn't replied to me although he has logged on several times since then. I sent him another pm incase for some magically reason he just didn't get my first pm since he did not respond. Samething, so am I wrong to expect him to contact me back? As I sell/buy/trade a lot on this forum, I always feel obligated to respond to pms. Maybe not the very second but come on, this is stupid. We should have finished with this whole ordeal already.

This has been addressed I have been PM'ing him WHEN I CAN!!!. I'm trying to get my business off the ground which requires me to be away a lot.

ok, so since were calling me out and I have to defend myself over something OP knows full well whats going on.

Ok, sent his items out mind you I forgot the power cables for modular PSU and it did take about 9days longer than expected to ship them. I took a picture of all the items on the UPS for insurance purposes. Item shipped out he received everything and and let me know he had received it. Not until 7-10days after receiving it did he tell me about any major damage (even thought he was parting out the machine). I filed a claim and have been waiting on HIM and now UPS to resolve this mess. I have called both the 800 number for the service dept. of UPS who then referred me to call my local UPS store to inquiry about the claim. UPS said it's up to the UPS store location to ok it, so I call them they say they need more info. I gave them all the info including OP's phone number. The OP and the gentleman at the UPS store spoke. I called 2 days ago and he said they are waiting on info from corporate.

I've done everything I can, I can not help that UPS is sitting on their hands about this. I understand OP wants the Case repaired/replaced. I'm not going to pay for damage I did not cause, while I do know it would make the transaction between us complete I get the impression the UPS is trying not to pay the claim. Even though I insured it for $700....

OP I'll go to the UPS store tomorrow and see whats going on. Sorry about the trouble we are having I'll try to get this resolved by Friday sooner if possible.

As a side not when i load up my browser it loads 5 tabs and [H] is one of them (autologin) so yes I'm shown as logged in but I might not check [H].

sorry adding more:

Shipping via the UPS Store with insurance ($700).
Items were packaged by the UPS Store and shipped
Item received by OP was told about damage
Filed claim with UPS
5days passed with no change in the status
Contacted UPS they said they were trying to pick up the package for inspection but either OP was not ready to hand off the package (or from what the gentleman at the UPS Store I shipped from said refusal to release item but w/e. I contacted OP i think via phone and asked what was going on.

Now I'm waiting.

I process UPS claims for my company, and UPS will definitely drag their feet on this claim. The receiver has to make sure to make this package available for UPS inspection pickup. UPS will only try 3 times, after that, they will deny the claim regardless of insurance on the package. If UPS does honor the claim, they will pay the shipper, not the consignee. So if it were me, I would refund the money only after UPS has honored it. If UPS denies it because they can't pick it up for inspection, the OP is SOL.

http://wwwapps.ups.com/WebTracking/...umber1=1Z6A889E0378863914&track.x=0&track.y=0

They picked up the item and inspected more than a month ago. It shows it in the tracking. Just click Shipment Progress. That isn't the issue. I don't get how you were waiting on me. I ended up calling the UPS store after getting the phone number from eqtitan about 2 weeks ago because he said they haven't contacted him that they wanted to speak to me although I have never received any call the entire time from UPS aside when scheduling the pickup after the first attempt which I did not even know about. I was never informed when and if they were going to pick it up from me but anywho. They said they would be calling me or the shipper back on monday(30th of January) Which is why I was pming him about the status update since last week.

Also when I spoke to UPS, he sounded like all that needed to be done was to verify the price of the damaged case so they can payout. Not a fact but he did not sound like they would void the claim for any reason.

Seller bought the insurance. Seller should deal with UPS for the insurance payment and make the buyer whole while the seller waits on his insurance to pay him. If UPS denies claim seller is still responsible to make buyer whole on this deal. This is assuming the buyer has been cooperative with UPS and provided all he needs to for the insurance claim.

Seller bought the insurance. Seller should deal with UPS for the insurance payment and make the buyer whole while the seller waits on his insurance to pay him. If UPS denies claim seller is still responsible to make buyer whole on this deal. This is assuming the buyer has been cooperative with UPS and provided all he needs to for the insurance claim.

Exactly

I did everything needed. Hes pretty much saying if UPS doesn't pay the claim he isn't going to pay for it. Which isn't right. Am I wrong for expecting the money for the case no matter what UPS decides?

Exactly

I did everything needed. Hes pretty much saying if UPS doesn't pay the claim he isn't going to pay for it. Which isn't right. Am I wrong for expecting the money for the case no matter what UPS decides?

If UPS denies the claim then he owes you money or a new case. It's simple as that. If you can't get your money back then all you can do is leave negative heat, and I would if I were you should he not make good on the deal.

UPS wouldn't need to contact asuka10456 regarding this, they would only need to be in contact with the sender / person who paid for the label. Any time I've ever sold an item that was damaged during shipping I did one of two things; I either refunded the buyer, or provided them with a replacement. You claim you're just starting your business off, you may as well close is down now with these business practices, save the money.

I might have already filed a dispute with paypal and at least have that coming back, seller is responsible, you fulfilled your end, his stuff came in damaged.

You are arguing my point here. The only case where I would say the buyer would be at fault, is if the *buyer* was responsible for shipping costs, and neglected to pay for insurance. ie, you are selling me a case, and I explicitly say "I don't want to pay for insurance, I'll take a risk"

Remind me never to deal with you. When you sell something you are responsible for getting it safely to the buyer, period. Regardless of who paid for shipping its YOUR responsibility. Only a complete moron would leave his responsibility up to the other party.

Insurance is to protect the SHIPPER not the buyer. Thats how insurance works... Its not a decision you leave up to the buyer, if it can be broken you either include insurance in the shipping cost or take the risk but either way it does not get you out of your responsibility to the buyer.

Remind me never to deal with you. When you sell something you are responsible for getting it safely to the buyer, period. Regardless of who paid for shipping its YOUR responsibility. Only a complete moron would leave his responsibility up to the other party.

Insurance is to protect the SHIPPER not the buyer. Thats how insurance works... Its not a decision you leave up to the buyer, if it can be broken you either include insurance in the shipping cost or take the risk but either way it does not get you out of your responsibility to the buyer.

It always amazes me how many people don't get this. It's not up to the buyer to make sure the item is delivered in one piece. If the seller doesn't want to be out for the cost of insurance then he needs to include it in his price. Insurance does not protect a buyer, only the shipper.

The claim has been filed I went into the UPS Store on Thursday and turned in the quote for replacement to them they said they will process the claim and should have a check for the cost within 5-7 business days.

It always amazes me how many people don't get this. It's not up to the buyer to make sure the item is delivered in one piece. If the seller doesn't want to be out for the cost of insurance then he needs to include it in his price. Insurance does not protect a buyer, only the shipper.

Wrong. Insurance protects both parties. It protects the seller from a buyer making a false claim of a damaged item or that a item was not delivered.

(Delivery confirmation will tell you it was delivered, but it is not insurance, and cant get you money back)

If I, as the SELLER, hear from a buyer that his item was not delivered, or delivered broken, then I can tell the buyer to work with me on the insurance claim.

99% of the buyers will do it , and they usually come out of it ahead.

Last time I sold a laptop, it was damaged during shipping. The buyer worked with me on processing the claim, and when the claim was paid, he got the money he paid for the laptop, and got to keep the laptop to try and fix it, and I got to keep the money I sold the laptop for.

If a buyer wont work with me on the claim, then I can sure as hell call it a scam, and if paypal comes knocking, I send them copies of my insurance receipt and the instructions from the insurance company to the buyer, who has refused to comply.

All it takes is for the buyer and seller to be patient and do their part fasts.

The thing about this deal I am wondering about is that, per the seller, it was 7-10 days after receiving it did he mention any major damage, and to top it off, he started parting out the machine before the deal was fully complete, leaving the other trader unable to even offer to reverse the entire deal.

Otherwise, they could have shipped each others stuff back, and then decided who owed who money for shipping.

Again, that is per the seller, so i would like to hear from the OP if that is correct, or if not, then was is true.

Wrong. Insurance protects both parties. It protects the seller from a buyer making a false claim of a damaged item or that a item was not delivered.

(Delivery confirmation will tell you it was delivered, but it is not insurance, and cant get you money back)

If I, as the SELLER, hear from a buyer that his item was not delivered, or delivered broken, then I can tell the buyer to work with me on the insurance claim.

99% of the buyers will do it , and they usually come out of it ahead.

Last time I sold a laptop, it was damaged during shipping. The buyer worked with me on processing the claim, and when the claim was paid, he got the money he paid for the laptop, and got to keep the laptop to try and fix it, and I got to keep the money I sold the laptop for.

If a buyer wont work with me on the claim, then I can sure as hell call it a scam, and if paypal comes knocking, I send them copies of my insurance receipt and the instructions from the insurance company to the buyer, who has refused to comply.

All it takes is for the buyer and seller to be patient and do their part fasts.

The thing about this deal I am wondering about is that, per the seller, it was 7-10 days after receiving it did he mention any major damage, and to top it off, he started parting out the machine before the deal was fully complete, leaving the other trader unable to even offer to reverse the entire deal.

Otherwise, they could have shipped each others stuff back, and then decided who owed who money for shipping.

Again, that is per the seller, so i would like to hear from the OP if that is correct, or if not, then was is true.

When I received it from Fedex, I plugged it(Full computer) and made sure it displayed. The damage to the case isn't really very visible. Most of the mesh for the 5.25 bays would not hold in place and the whole front panel doesn't lock in correct, its loose. I did not think most of the clips were broken inside. Its a used case. I thought maybe the bays were taken off because he used it. At this point I never knew eqtitan never used the bays until I told him about the possible damage. I noticed that he really didn't since all the back plates for it were still on. When I receive the case from Fedex most of them were off. At this point is when I started trying out everything. Then I noticed audio ports wouldn't working correct. It kept saying that i was unplugging and plugging in my headphones. Keep in mind when I received the computer it was getting very close to Christmas, around this time of year everyone is usually busy.

Also if he wanted to go back on it, we could have. I mentioned the stuff was for my roommate, he wanted the stuff but he wouldn't have been too mad if I would have gotten him other stuff or gave him back his money. IMO the case was a small part of the deal considering the value of everything else.

Last edited:
OP, Thanks for filling us in..........and I also see the seller posted as well.
If the check shows up, you should get that amount and keep the case. That is how I work it anyway, since the seller got what he was expecting out of the deal.

So Seller says the claim was filed with UPS & the buyer says it came FedEx.. Neat trick..

Insurance is to protect the seller... Im not sure what point you're trying to make when everything you said agrees with this.

It protects the seller in everything because without it if it just dont show up or shows up broken you owe them a refund...

In what way does it protect the buyer??? If something happens its the sellers responsibility and only the seller can even file the claim, meanwhile the buyer has to hope the seller follows through and makes good on the claim.

Twice now i have had deals where the items came broken and the seller filed the claim and kept the money from the claim and MY money. Where the hell was my "protection"? :rolleyes:

Anyone that thinks insurance protects the buyer clearly has no flipping clue how insurance actually works. Now if the receiving end could file insurance claims the argument could easily be made that insurance protects the buyer but until then insurance is solely for the protection of the seller and the seller alone. :rolleyes:

Twice now i have had deals where the items came broken and the seller filed the claim and kept the money from the claim and MY money. Where the hell was my "protection"? :rolleyes:

Well, if you buy and sell on a forum, there is only so much you could do.
"Your protection" comes from filing a paypal claim, reversing the charge on the credit card, filing a police report, etc...

This is what happens during all transactions, and is part of life; not sure why your ladies underwear are in a knot. :) j/k

Seriously, my sister just bought a dishwasher from Sears outlet, ended up being defective, and the manager said something like "that is why it comes with a warranty; make a warranty claim." Where was her protection in a face to face deal? No where, until she disputed the charge with her credit card, and called corporate, etc....

Damn right they ended up picking it up and refunding her money.

In your case, you said "Twice now i have had deals where the items came broken and the seller filed the claim and kept the money from the claim and MY money."

Did you use paypal or some other payment method where u can make a dispute?
Did you contact the shipper and claim fraud?
Did you make a police report?
Did you contact a mod?
Did you leave negative feedback?

None of these are 100% guaranteed avenues of protection, but these are all avenues that can and should be pursued. As someone who has been scammed before, I should know.

Why would you resort to name calling?

It is often the case, that when you say $x+shipping, the buyer will want the absolute cheapest method possible. If you have not done more than a few dozen deals, I can see where you may not have yet experienced this. You can warn them that this is not the best course of action, but you can't force them to pay insurance.

On my recent deals, I have just put 'shipped' pricing and included even signature confirmation for protection. This way I have control over insurance, and can be sure to have it.

Why would you resort to name calling?

It is often the case, that when you say $x+shipping, the buyer will want the absolute cheapest method possible. If you have not done more than a few dozen deals, I can see where you may not have yet experienced this. You can warn them that this is not the best course of action, but you can't force them to pay insurance.

On my recent deals, I have just put 'shipped' pricing and included even signature confirmation for protection. This way I have control over insurance, and can be sure to have it.

Why would you leave the choice of insurance up to the buyer? This is my point... Insurance is to protect the shipper its not something the buyer should have a choice in at all. If the item can be damaged in shipping you either buy insurance or risk refunding your buyer. You damn sure dont leave it up to them then when it shows up broken say "should have bought insurance lol".

Your responsibility does not end when you hand the package off to be shipped. This attitude that insurance is the responsibility of the buyer and that once the seller hands the package off to be shipped his job is done is ridiculous.

Back