Transcoding hell

’m‚³‚ñ

Supreme [H]ardness
I am in it.

I have a video in 1080p, with massive bitrates, and it totally destroys my system when I try playing it.

Specs: E1500 (2.2 GHZ, 512k L2 cache C2D)
4GB of Mushkin Blackline DDR2 800
BFG 9800GT low power NVidia card

For codecs I am running the latest CCCP, as well as AAC codec, and whatnot.

The files from hell. They are MPEG4 H.264 video, with AAC audio, stuck in an MKV container.

AutoGK doesn't do MKV files, so I'm stuck with AutoMKV. I installed all of the addon bits that AutoMKV came with.

The E1500 was having a hell of a time doing the transcoding, it kept freezing during the process and the process would remain in RAM, but got 0 CPU cycles, so I switched the transcoding over to a server that is idle 99% of the time. Transcoding rig's specs:

Prescott 3 GHZ 1meg L2
1 GB of ECC registered DDR2 667
Intel GMA 900 onboard video (if I have to, I can modify the PCIe 8X slot to take a real video card)
Ample HDD space

The problem is that no matter what, I cannot get the audio to work. Video works just fine, but end result, no matter what it is, lacks audio. I watched it do the final transcode part on the second to last attempt I made, and DirectVobDub ran, but the windows were blank. No idea if it errored out or what.

So, recap: Used my main box to attempt transcoding some hefty 1080p down to 640p (or smaller) with lower bitrates, and the process would simply stop. Used a server and it transcoded fine, but no matter what, there is no audio in the end result.

BTW, I attempted to transcode from a H.264 in an MKV container to a H.264 in an MKV container and keep the original audio, but it still refused to give me the freaking sound.

I'm quite frustrated and at the point of just dumping this darn stuff. I wanna watch it, but having the video lag 30 seconds and the audio just not work at all is not worth it on the original, and subtitled or not, I need the sound.

Last edited:
/me is wondering where the "legal" reference comes in... :confused: Guess it was in something the OP edited out, perhaps? Regardless... <--I have no idea what you're talking about. -Oldie :D

The basic gist to the OP: your machines are weak and underpowered for transcoding, period. If you have a 1080p MKV file and you want it transcoded to a smaller resolution and lower bitrates, feed the 1080p MKV file to HandBrake and let it create a 720p version, and you're done.

The transcoding process will take time, there's nothing you can do about that except get a more powerful (read: faster at transcoding) machine or shut up and deal with the wait - there are no other options. Nothing is going to magically do this faster, it's the nature of transcoding that takes so much time on most any machine and the only solution is faster more powerful hardware to do the task.

I have several 1080p MKV files (not my preferred format) and I transcode them with HandBrake down to 720p MKV files and it works great without any issues. It takes time to get the job done, but it does get done and done pretty damned well.

1080p is a waste, in my opinion... 720p looks just damned fine itself. Anytime I acquire 1080p content I transcode it and save a shitload of space in the process every time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best advice is go to the HandBrake forums, get into the Windows subforum, find the Nightly Builds thread (it's a sticky), and get the latest nightly build, not the public 0.9.4 release. The nightly builds are far more advanced nowadays, offer better encoding performance because of improvements in the x264 encoder, offer better sound quality because now they've got the faac encoder going all the way up to 320 Kbps (the 0.9.4 release limits it to 160 Kbps), and a few other goodies.

Basically all you need to do is open the MKV in HandBrake, choose a target location/file name, choose the High Profile preset, change the output resolution to 720p aka 1280 pixels wide by whatever high (aspect ratio plays into this), adjust the audio option and then hit Start, that's about it. HandBrake will take care of the rest...

Just convert the audio with foobar2000 and remux it. Note that you wouldn't have had this problem if you had actually bought the movie and ripped it yourself.

Just convert the audio with foobar2000 and remux it. Note that you wouldn't have had this problem if you had actually bought the movie and ripped it yourself.

foobar2000, thanks, gonna grab that in a few minutes and give it a shot.

I'll give this another shot later today.

Back