Transferring data from one HD to another.

DuffMan72

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I'm a complete newbie to hard drives, so I'm sorry if my question sounds completely stupid.

I currently have an 8 gig hard drive (yes, 8 gigs) and I'm getting a 160gig hard drive for the same computer. I wanted to know if it's possible to transfer programs without having to re-install them on my new HD. I heard about some ghosting program that allows me to do this, but I don't know of any. I also want to do a clean install of Windows on the new HD, and I'm wondering if it's possible to "copy" the whole hard drive to the new one without the old installation of Windows. Thanks in advance.

You can possibly do one or the other - copy programs without re-installing, or get a clean copy of windows installed, but not both. Norton Ghost or Acronis TrueImage will copy the whole installation over, including Windows and programs, or re-installing from a Windows disk will put Windows only on the disk.

If you've got an 8gb drive, you probably have a older computer. so your going to need to use drive overlay software to use more then 33gb of your new drive. (I think it's 33gb, maybe 31.) An easy way to get your files would be to install windows on your new drive, and simply drag and drop the files to your new drive when you get windows installed.

^ I have an Nforce 3 motherboard, Sempron 64 2800+. I didn't buy a new hard drive so I just took my old one.

Well, in that case, you have nothing to worry about. When you get windows installed on the new drive, simply drag and drop the files you want to keep. You probably know this, but you can't backup entire programs, you have to reinstall them.

Yeah man, just install Windows from a CD onto the new hard drive, connect your 8GB as a slave in your system, and copy the files you want to keep. You'll hafta reinstall any programs, games, etc - but it's the best bet and will be the least headache.

Back