Travelling to China

Dynafrom

Gawd
I have a american bought fujitsu laptop, and I was wondering if I need a transformer for my AC adaptor, or just the plug that converts the plug shape.

My AC adapter says:

INPUT 100-240V ~ 1.2-0.6A 50-60HZ

And another question is what kind of plug most airline have for laptops. Is it standard US 2 bipolar plugs or what? And would I just need a adapter?

Thanks

Thank you, what about for the airplane?
No idea. I've never been on a flight where I had access to a power outlet. I would think that it's just a standard two-prong outlet though, but it could depend on the airline.

Actually, China uses 120V for the most part. And most outlets are non-polarized two prong. I've never had a problem using a laptop in China. My clothes iron, on the other had, is another story. You can't plug in polarized plugs or grounded plugs in China unless you're using 120V.

Last edited:
Hmm... maybe Northern China, like Beijing, etc. I've been to Qinxi City (Dongguan) and Shenzhen and the hotels and offices have all had two prong 120V. Hong Kong, on the other hand, uses 220V and the BS1363 receptacle for the most part, but most hotels have adapters available.

Regardless of voltage, laptop adapters are full range. They accept 100V ~ 240V.

A lot of the hotels I've stayed in China have wall sockets that handle just about any plug. It's a pretty nice feature. On the other hand, some of them didn't offer wireless and separated the LAN outlet and the phone by the width of the room. Made simultaneous conference calls and computer use a bit difficult.

Yeah... even when I stay at fairly nice hotels (Marriott, Novotel, etc.) I still don't get wireless. Sucks because I like sitting on my bed with my iPod surfing and can't do it if I don't have a wireless connection.

Back