Tri SLI + CPU, how many loops?

pc1x1

[H]ard|Gawd
I would presume 3 loops, however not so sure on the configuration.

Anyone have any idea on what size radiator would be needed for each graphics card? etc. Well base references on the GeForce 9800GTX for now. IE water cooling for 3 of those. And a quad core cpu.

Also what case would you recommend for the set up? I have a separate thread on the case forum, but since some of you may have this set up, wondering with that case.

I'd go double. 1 for the GPU's and 1 for the CPU...

3 9800GTX's will run you back about 450w of heat, which is right in-line with the MCR320 radiator's thermal dump... Perhaps add in another 120mm radiator somewhere to bring the temps down some.

i agree with the two loops, thats gonna be a sick set up when you build it, if you dont mind me asking, when you thought 3 loops what were they going to be?

1 CPU
1 2x GPU's
1 1x GPU + Chipsets + whatever else lol.

I am thinking sometime in the next two months, just got to see what the next gpu cycle will be heh :)

A friend of mine has an interesting setup:

PUMP > RAD (2x120) > CPU > NB > RAM > RAD (1x120) > GPU > SB > RAD (1x120)> RESERVOIR > repeat

By my definition, that's one loop with a few stops :) It's a pretty cool setup, I'd just be concerned about his 655 pump not being able to sustain a high flow rate through so many blocks/rads (not sure if that's a legitimate concern, but whatever).

Food for though on your setup, good luck...

BTW, if you haven't read this article, you really should:
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ5Niw0LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Yea I checked it out, I will most likely wait for the GT200, or Radeon 4000 series, just depends on their price points and performance. Since I am upping my resolution to 2560x1600, is the reason why I need a multi card set up. Otherwise, I wouldn't really consider that many. Hopefully the next gen, can actually utilize the ram on all the cards, and not just clone them.

You can get away with a single loop. Many Oems do just that.
However make sure that the blocks you do not have so much restriction that it prevents your loop from functioning properly. Usually 1.5 gpm is the sweett spot. But anything over 1 is good too.

If it were me. I would do a single quad. Pump/RES-Cpu--NB--GPU-- GPU--GPU--radiator.
Alternatively you could just w/c the video cards and install some great heatsinks on everything else, thermalright makes a few great heatsinks.

nes

Heh this is the exact same thing i'm planning to do. Just ordered a UFO and once there are waterblocks out for the gtx280 i plan on running a loop for the video cards and 1 for the q6600 and chipset.

Only 2 gtx280s though.

Back