Trifire 5770 question

Oomps

Gawd
Not planning on doing it soon, but was wondering for the future. I got a 5770 but it only has one xfire connector. From the pictures have seen, in a 3 way setup only one of the 5770s(the middle one) actually has 2 of the xfire ribbons connected to it. Does this mean if I get two more 5770s eventually that both have 2 connectors I can do 3 way crossfire or is there something else that would prevent it when using a card that only has one connector?

You'll just have to find two cards with two CFX connectors.

You could try getting one card with two connectors and one with one. So it would be like this

Card 1 |
Card 2 ||
Card 3 /

I don't know that a CFX ribbon would be flexible enough though.

Oh - are you running a single screen or eyefinity?

Remember, anything over 2 cards doesn't scale for shit in eyefinity.

This is actually for my htpc, so one screen.

I have my 5870 upstairs for eyefinity :p

You'll just have to find two cards with two CFX connectors.

You could try getting one card with two connectors and one with one. So it would be like this

Card 1 |
Card 2 ||
Card 3 /

I don't know that a CFX ribbon would be flexible enough though.

I came here to ask if this would actually work. I have 3 xfx 5770s one has a double crossfire connector the other two have only a single. anyone else try it already?

I came here to ask if this would actually work. I have 3 xfx 5770s one has a double crossfire connector the other two have only a single. anyone else try it already?

It will work, but the CFX connector flexibility might be a problem

Tried and verified it works. you can indeed do a crossfire love sandwich with 1-2-1. Seafoam is correct and that you will NOT be able to do it with regular crossfire connectors. You will absolutely need one of the extra long crossfire connectors. The second one can be regular sized but you will still need a longer one.

My own initial benchmarks leans towards what most others say about trifire scaling badly. I run the resolution of 1680x1050 at 4xAA in everything. Going from one 5770 to two in crossfire was ~80% difference in most games. Going to from 2 to 3 in Trifire was not noticeable.

While it may be possible, it is not worth it IMO. I will stick my third 5770 back into my spare machine for my girlfriend.

My own initial benchmarks leans towards what most others say about trifire scaling badly. I run the resolution of 1680x1050 at 4xAA in everything. Going from one 5770 to two in crossfire was ~80% difference in most games. Going to from 2 to 3 in Trifire was not noticeable.

Your resolution is very low, I'm wondering if you would have seen better scaling had you been running a higher resolution.

Back