Triple displays problem...

DrunkCow

n00b
Ok...my friend and I are looking to setup two Dell 2007WFP's alongside a Westinghouse 32" LCD TV (We'll be using its VGA port). I was wondering if it is possible with the Matrox TripleHead2Go to send 1680x1050 signals to the Dells and a 1360x768 signal to the Westinghouse. If there isn't anyway to do that what suggestions do you all have for the setup?

P.S. We are going to use the setup to play FSX...

From the image on their product website that looks like this (they didn't have a better screenshot)...

display_properties_space.jpg

...it looks like you are only able to stretch a single display's width. If you are just using one output, I don't think you will be able to send multiple resolutions. Not to mention the fact that it *looks like* the max resolution height is 1024 pixels.

Maybe I'm wrong. I dunno.

What system are you going to run this off of? If a laptop, you could try using the TV-out combined with two monitors driven off of the VGA output. I don't know what resolutions your TV-out would support though, and I don't know what kind of quality you'd get out of that sort of signal. =(

Btw, I looked at the matrox site to get this info: http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/gxm/products/th2go/

The system I'm going to be running this off of has AMD 4600+ AM2, 2gig OCZ platinum, and ATI X1950XTX. Also, if it has any effect on the situation I have a computer identical to the main one but with an x1900xtx instead of an x1950xtx...

Oh, wow - I wouldn't get one of these TH2Go boxes with your setup. First of all, you have two DVI outputs. That means you can get independant resolutions out of both of those.

You may also be able to use the other output if you have one (is it an S-Video cable?).

I don't think you want to get the th2go because it doesn't support a lot of resolutions. I would instead suggest a third video card. You want a good strong signal to each of your displays... I'd keep your best two on your main ATI and then maybe put the third onto something else.

Other than the two DVI outputs there is another output on the vid card. Is it possible to use all three outputs on the video card at the same time?

Other than the two DVI outputs there is another output on the vid card. Is it possible to use all three outputs on the video card at the same time?

Yep, you should be able to use that S-Video out sort of like a TV. I don't know how good of a signal or what resolutions are supported through that medium, though.

remember that you will need some serious power to run FSX on 3 displays from your system and video cards. It is known to be a hog and it really is, especially at high resolution.

I would try with just the dual setup from your DVI first and then tackle the third monitor once you know 2 work well.

and dont just say my system has plenty of power....FSX will bring anything to its knees with enough displays :p

I hear you there Grentz, hopefully the performance changes they made with SP1 FSX should run with at acceptable framerates on multi-monitors. I was wondering though, would there be any complications if I had two ATi cards in a computer not crossfired and have 2 displays on one card and the third on the other card?

While we're on the subject of triple displays...

does anybody have a solution to run three displays on a video card with just two outputs (without the use of any signal splitters)?

I would like to run a 20" lcd monitor, a 19" crt monitor, and I'm also considering getting the Westinghouse 37" 1080p display. The reason I don't want to use a signal splitter is because it would be like the signal is being split constantly, even when I'm not using the giant display, so I think there will be some kind of signal degradation when one display is not in use. That and (though I don't think there is a quick solution for this) I would have to be running the same resolution to get the best out of both displays (1600x1200 for my lcd monitor, and 1920x1080 for the westy). I was thinking of some kind of switchbox that will take a single signal and output to two devices with a push button or something to switch between signals, but the only switchboxe I can find (for cheap) is the HDMI switch that takes two signals and outputs to one display.

Would I just have to give up using the westy as a display if I want to continue using my lcd and crt together? I don't think I would have any problem just having the Westy sit by itself and hooked up to a tv signal and my ps3 and other consoles, but the kicker was just being able to watch my movies and vids from my computer on the display. I'm just not sure I have the space to place the Westy right in front of me lol. I would probably have it off to the side on the top of my bookshelf.

-edit-
hmm! Interesting development. Does anybody know how good s-video works as a video output to a display as large as the Westinghouse? Would the computer see the s-video output as another display and would I be able to set resolution and such? I just realized the output options I have for my video card (Powercolor x800 gto) are DVI, VGA, and S-video (and it also comes with a s-video -> composite adapter).

You have to diable one of the monitors to power the TV display.. at any given time you can only use 2 displays.

TH2Go only can output identical resolution to multiple displays (2 or 3).. The new TH2Go digital could power 2 1920x1200 displays.. ATI are very incompatible with TH2Go.. best go with Nvidia for widely supported resolution.. TH2Go functions to split 1 input to multiple outputs.

Cheapest way to power 3 indipendent displays would be to get a 2nd card.. either PCI or PCI-e.

Back