Triple Monitor Question. Gaming on One of Two Monitors + TV short distance away.

CLock3

Gawd
I'm looking at getting a second graphics card, but just have a couple questions.

My computer is about 6' away from my TV. Currently, I just game on my PC, but I'm planning on building a racing cockpit for my G27 that I'll slide in front of my TV when I'd like to use it. It would be nice to play other games on it as well. I already have the DVI-HDMI cable running from the PC to the TV, but I only have an 8800GTS (vintage, I know :)), so it's not connected as I'm running a dual monitor setup. Of course I can swap cables if I want to use the TV, but I'd prefer something more permanent. Here's what I'm thinking I need, but correct me if I'm wrong. I figured I'd get a basic, cheap second card. Was just gonna go with the EVGA 8400gs, keep them in the same family. I'll use that for my secondary desktop monitor, since I don't do anything intensive on it. Then, I'll connect my primary PC monitor and the TV to the 8800GTS, since I'll be gaming on both of those screens. Does that sound right?

If all of that is okay, my other question is regarding switching between displaying the game on my desktop monitor or the TV. Is there any special way to do this, or will I just have to go into the settings each time and designate one as the primary display or something?

Thanks a ton for any help in advance, and thanks for having the patience to read through all of that. :)

I would suggest buying another 8800gts for around $35-50 used and running in sli. This way you arent wasting graphics power when gaming, since both cards will be in use for one monitor.

^^^ solution is a good idea..

as far as the switching games between monitors. you may want to look into ultramon, its a kick ass 3rd party multiscreen software. if i remember correctly it has a 1 click solution for changing primary displays and i believe you can even set it up as a hotkey as well.

Hm, alright. For some reason, I've never really been huge on SLi. Feel like it can be problematic. Could be completely wrong, though, haha. I haven't been keeping up with things as much as I used to. That solution aside, would my original solution also work fine? Thanks for the Ultramon recommendation as well. Always heard about that program, but never tried it out. Will have to check it out.

Your solution works. I tried it myself.

The SLI solution also works, I tried it myself.

But G27 racing cockpit, on a 8800GTS common...you gotta do better than that ;)

Back