Triple screen for the masses.

Too "hacked", 4:3 limitation, and you could get better results with just getting another video card.

inotocracy said:
Too "hacked", 4:3 limitation, and you could get better results with just getting another video card.

Your reading from the old book, you didn't read the link and getting another video card wont span games across three monitors. This one addresses all those issues and lets you use your current (or any) graphics card. The only detractor is it's still a VGA device.

Looks pretty damn sweet if it works right. Hopefully some reviews will be out on it some time soon after it's released.

Performance wouldn't be that great spanning at a resolution of 3072 x 768 (or greater) on a single card. Seems somewhat pointless for gaming, would be great for multitasking but then you COULD just get an additional card and have 4 monitors.

inotocracy said:
Performance wouldn't be that great spanning at a resolution of 3072 x 768 (or greater) on a single card. Seems somewhat pointless for gaming, would be great for multitasking but then you COULD just get an additional card and have 4 monitors.

WTH are you talking about? Multiple cards in the first place are an assumption that it would be for SLI or Crossfire. In the case of SLi, you can't use 4 monitors IF you have SLI enabled.

They would both be fine at that resolution for gaming. The real problem about three monitors in gaming is motion sickness is amplified. (BUT it's good for flight sim use)

Not to mention no game developer would include it as these days widescreen POV is considered an "unfair advantage" :rolleyes:

jnick said:
Not to mention no game developer would include it as these days widescreen POV is considered an "unfair advantage" :rolleyes:

there are lots of games with widescreen settings offered

wow, i have to say this is an awesome product..

its amazing that matrox is the one to find the solution for this instead of the big wig ATI/Nvidia..

the really great thing about this is its simplicity..

the 3 monitors are completely transparent to the video card, as far as the video card knows it is just a really wide single monitor..

BBA said:
WTH are you talking about? Multiple cards in the first place are an assumption that it would be for SLI or Crossfire. In the case of SLi, you can't use 4 monitors IF you have SLI enabled.

They would both be fine at that resolution for gaming. The real problem about three monitors in gaming is motion sickness is amplified. (BUT it's good for flight sim use)

More immersive. 3x good 19inch LCD's would be heaven.

This is going to be great. I have a surround gaming setup with a Parhelia, finally Matrox has answered our prayers for an updated solution. Dual 7800GT's and TripleHead2Go here I come.

I'm getting one as soon as I have the cash and its available, been wanting something like this for ages.

I do have a gripe in advance, though: WTH is with the 60hz max refresh rate? Bad enough that its analog only, but thats really not an aspect I'm looking forward to. Yes, it doesn't matter for LCDs, but the sticker shock on a $300 device that will need an even more expensive graphics card/cards to feed it is bad enough without the need for over a grand in LCDs.

I wonder, would it be better to use a DualHead2Go and then the 2nd head on your graphics card to get 3 screens, ot one TripleHead2Go :confused:

Unknown-One said:
I wonder, would it be better to use a DualHead2Go and then the 2nd head on your graphics card to get 3 screens, ot one TripleHead2Go :confused:

That raises an interesting theory, the posibility of six screens? Could one top of the line card run two of these, one on each port, spanning 6 monitors? Hm... :eek:

inotocracy said:
That raises an interesting theory, the posibility of six screens? Could one top of the line card run two of these, one on each port, spanning 6 monitors? Hm... :eek:

surround FOV!

Obi_Kwiet said:
More immersive. 3x good 19inch LCD's would be heaven.

I ran a parhelia with three 20" Sony screens a few years back when they were first released. It's definitely an experience...I think the shark-aquarium screen saver was the best part of it too. 3d shooters...fun but not as easy to get used to as you would think.

One really big single monitor is better. I would still rather invest in a 30" LCD at 30xx by 15xx and a good single card instead of three 19"s strung together. Now if you just have three smaller screens...well, it would have a monetary advantage to go this way.

inotocracy said:

Only problem is accelerating 3D across both outputs...doesn't work at all on ATi and on nvidia you have to do window mode.

it's an awesome product that should have been developed years ago.
there are three drawbacks imho:
1. VGA rather DVI interface.
2. $299 MSRP is super steep
3. 60Hz refresh rate on max resolution, and 75Hz max refresh for the device.

BBA said:
Only problem is accelerating 3D across both outputs...doesn't work at all on ATi and on nvidia you have to do window mode.

True, but I wasn't really thinking about gaming with it (even though you could probably do it in Linux, it supports accelerated desktop spanning). It would just be nice to have a butt-load of desktop realestate :)

Asian Dub Foundation said:
if only i have the money to get a bigger desk, another GTX, and 3 20in monitors

No shit! this is a cool thing, but we'll need some serious video horse power to run 3000+ X 1000+ resolutions. Maybe dual 7900GTX extreme cards? or Crossfire'd x1900XTX's? even with those you'd not be able to enable AA.. or maybe 2x at best... with games like FEAR which do per pixel shading for all light sources, when you increase the res like that, it increases the pixel numbers dramatically, and you can do the math there...

revenant said:
No shit! this is a cool thing, but we'll need some serious video horse power to run 3000+ X 1000+ resolutions. Maybe dual 7900GTX extreme cards? or Crossfire'd x1900XTX's? even with those you'd not be able to enable AA.. or maybe 2x at best... with games like FEAR which do per pixel shading for all light sources, when you increase the res like that, it increases the pixel numbers dramatically, and you can do the math there...

If its any consolation I run 2880x900 on my lil ol 6600GT.

forget triple screen :p

lotta-monitors.jpg

I'd rather span four projectors, two above and two below, (quad LCD projectors) for a 2560 * 2048 resolution. That's real HD gaming.

griff30 said:
I'd rather span four projectors, two above and two below, (quad LCD projectors) for a 2560 * 2048 resolution. That's real HD gaming.

OMFG I'd completely forgotten about projectors! Finally a way to cheaply overcome the resolution limitations of those damned XGA machines! And unlike monitors, you don't have 1inch wide plastic seams between screens!

EDIT:
http://www.pcnation.com/web/details.asp?affid=303&item=G01822

four of these = bigscreen 20x15 goodness for 1.5x the cost of 3007FPW

EDIT EDIT: http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=998416/qlty=n

four of these and two triplehead2go's =big screen 16x12 for $2900

SatinSpiral said:
OMFG I'd completely forgotten about projectors! Finally a way to cheaply overcome the resolution limitations of those damned XGA machines! And unlike monitors, you don't have 1inch wide plastic seams between screens!

EDIT:
http://www.pcnation.com/web/details.asp?affid=303&item=G01822

four of these = bigscreen 20x15 goodness for 1.5x the cost of 3007FPW

EDIT EDIT: http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=998416/qlty=n

four of these and two triplehead2go's =big screen 16x12 for $2900

Wonder if any video card can span 2 over 2 below like that though for movies. Probubly not for games though. Maybe next years videocard
models.

So basically you can get 6 of these and tho of those TripleHead2Gos and you can have 38400x768 resolution gaming on one video card. WONDERFUL! I'd like to see a wallpaper at that resolution.

Shameless Liar said:
So basically you can get 6 of these and tho of those TripleHead2Gos and you can have 38400x768 resolution gaming on one video card. WONDERFUL! I'd like to see a wallpaper at that resolution.

Someone actually had a pic a while back of those go-l monitors in a circle. Was very, very cool.

both ati and nvidia offer built in video that can be used as a 3rd sceen, the 6100 on mt tforce will do 3rd and my 7800gt will do the other 2.

needmorecarnitine said:
there are lots of games with widescreen settings offered

Yea, but afaik source is the only one that increases your FOV. BF2 actually REDUCES your FOV. Others just stretch.

Russ said:
Yea, but afaik source is the only one that increases your FOV. BF2 actually REDUCES your FOV. Others just stretch.

Source tends to stretch a bit, at least in multiplayer (maybe because of slight advantage?). FEAR adjust FOV accordingly without stretching. Only games I've experimented with though.

oblivion is pretty customizable as far as resolution and FOV goes, although i haven't specifically tried a 3 monitor resolution, i tested on my dual monitor span and it worked..

mrbigshot said:
both ati and nvidia offer built in video that can be used as a 3rd sceen, the 6100 on mt tforce will do 3rd and my 7800gt will do the other 2.
That works great for 2D, but what about games? Will the 7800GT render everything and just pass off the finished frames to the 6100 and use it as a 3rd head, or will the 6100 slow down the whole operation?

Unknown-One said:
That works great for 2D, but what about games? Will the 7800GT render everything and just pass off the finished frames to the 6100 and use it as a 3rd head, or will the 6100 slow down the whole operation?
all the screens will run a the 6100 framerate im afraid!

Too bad i sold my 4 sony 19" hs95ps recently and got a 23" acd, no regrets though, its enought having to spend £350 on one graphics card every 6 months to keep the 1920x1200 res!

Rash said:
all the screens will run a the 6100 framerate im afraid!
Wow, who at NVIDIA thought that was a good way to handle things?

rox1co said:
i think CRTs are ugly :p
I think its just because they are that nasty off-wite color that all computer hardware came in for the longest time.

Take some black sprey paint to that setup and it will look 100x better.

yeah black ones can look good, and def agree with the white being a horrible color

Back