tripod recommendation

metallicafan

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2010
I have owned my D40 for about a year now and am planning on upgrading to a D90 in the next year or so. I am currently looking for a tripod that would work with both of those cameras. I would like to get both the tripod and head for <$150. I have done a little research and looking around but man there are a lot of choices.

I plan on using the tripod in a variety of different ways but I wouldnt mind taking it on some hikes as well so small size would be a added bonus but not necessarily a requirement.

Thanks.

I friend of mine has this tripod that I tried out a couple times.

Forget that Thom Hogen article.

Go to Amazon or BH Photo and see what they have in your price range. Manfrotto, Benro, Slik etc. all have perfectly functional offerings in that range. Bear in mind that you WILL have to accept compromises at your price point. If you want small and light, you will not get cheap (or necessarily stable).

I just got a velbon DF-60 for like 50 bucks on amazon. Its cheap but it seems pretty sturdy to me, I am happy with it. Figured id get this for now until I am ready to spend at least 200-300 on a nice one.

I just purchased a Manfrotto 190XPROB + 488RC2 tripod and head. Haven't tested it out yet but I've done my fair share of research and can say that its a quality setup. Solid and stable enough to support my Canon 40D + EF 24-105mm f/4L setup.

You should search and do plenty of research and tripods can get complicated. For your price range of $150, I would suggest the Manfrotto 190XB ($130) + 488RC2 tripod head ($70). However, that will go slightly above your budget to $200, but it's worth it for a more sturdy tripod and stable setup.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Pretty similar to PC_User's setup, I've recently got a newer 055XPROB + 488RC2 and it's absolutely phenomenal for the price. Slightly above a $150 budget but well worth it if you can stretch. I've put a 70-200mm f/2.8 with my D90+grip on there and it didn't show any strain whatsoever.

Pretty similar to PC_User's setup, I've recently got a newer 055XPROB + 488RC2 and it's absolutely phenomenal for the price. Slightly above a $150 budget but well worth it if you can stretch. I've put a 70-200mm f/2.8 with my D90+grip on there and it didn't show any strain whatsoever.

I was very close to going with the 055XPROB myself, but chose the 190XPROB because it was shorter and lighter (and I was already getting a tripod that was longer than I wanted). The 055XPROB is a good choice if you are tall as it reaches a maximum height of 70". I am not that tall so the 190XPROB was great choice for me.

Manfrotto also just recently released their new ball heads (494RC2, 496RC2, 498RC2) to replace the 48XRC2 series. These new heads cost more but also have friction control.

Back