Tripp Lite TLP810NET $24.95 @ Amazon

GJSNeptune

[H]F Junkie
Very warm! I haven't seen it drop below $34 or so in over a year. Great surge protector. I bought one over two years ago to use with my HDTV. Last year I moved it into the office for some computer and audio equipment. Now there's another on the way. :D

$25 shipped for Prime members. For everyone else, you need to add five cents. :(

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005T3Q2/ref=ox_ya_os_product

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Very warm! I haven't seen it drop below $34 or so in over a year. Great surge protector. I bought one over two years ago to use with my HDTV. Last year I moved it into the office for some computer and audio equipment. Now there's another on the way. :D

$25 shipped for Prime members. For everyone else, you need to add five cents. :(

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_os_product

I use this exact one for my computer at home... and the reason why I got it was those cheap surge protectors SERIOUSLY scare me. I am a cheap ass when it comes to stuff like this, but I had a box brand cheapo surge about a year ago (fellowes or belkin branded I think) and after a while it actually turned the white plastic casing of the surge protector BROWN in one small spot near the cable because it got SO HOT and almost caught fire and melted through apparently. :eek: And I didn't overload it at all, just a basic <500w computer setup.

Definitely check and examine your old surge protectors now if you bought a junk cheap brand a while ago, believe me!!!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
These are great surge protectors. I picked up an APC one about a year ago and it's great---grounded protection, tells you if there's wiring faults, and also warns you if you're overloading it with too much crap.

I use this exact one for my computer at home... and the reason why I got it was those cheap surge protectors SERIOUSLY scare me. I am a cheap ass when it comes to stuff like this, but I had a box brand cheapo surge about a year ago (fellowes or belkin branded I think) and after a while it actually turned the white plastic casing of the surge protector BROWN in one small spot near the cable because it got SO HOT and almost caught fire and melted through apparently. :eek: And I didn't overload it at all, just a basic <500w computer setup.

Definitely check and examine your old surge protectors now if you bought a junk cheap brand a while ago, believe me!!!

I just use a power strip (supposedly a surge protector, but none of them ever trip)...and on my main PC, I've got a UPS. Most electronics are built to withstand the ebb and flow of power and if it's something that can really hurt your system (e.g. lightning) it's already over with. If it really worries you, the thing to get is a UPS that powers everything from the battery (AC only charges the battery).

I just use a power strip (supposedly a surge protector, but none of them ever trip)...and on my main PC, I've got a UPS. Most electronics are built to withstand the ebb and flow of power and if it's something that can really hurt your system (e.g. lightning) it's already over with. If it really worries you, the thing to get is a UPS that powers everything from the battery (AC only charges the battery).

No everything is cool here, just my old surge was a cheap one and it got REALLY HOT.

So one time I was going to unplug it for some reason, I noticed a BURN SPOT / BROWN MARK on the plastic. I touched it like "ah man, dog shit on my surge!" but it didn't move. Definitely burned plastic :eek: That's all I'm saying, people should check their surge RIGHT NOW if they use a cheap one, just to be safe after what happened in my case with the cheapo surge protector.

No everything is cool here, just my old surge was a cheap one and it got REALLY HOT.

So one time I was going to unplug it for some reason, I noticed a BURN SPOT / BROWN MARK on the plastic. I touched it like "ah man, dog shit on my surge!" but it didn't move. Definitely burned plastic :eek: That's all I'm saying, people should check their surge RIGHT NOW if they use a cheap one, just to be safe after what happened in my case with the cheapo surge protector.

Fair enough...and of course it's always a good idea to check electrical connections.

I'm in for 2. I bought one a few years back and it's great. Feel more secure having my components plugged into the Tripplite.

I just bought one of these Belkin 12 outlet surge bars with $300K protection warrenty
On sale for $17 CAD
or regular price $24 USD.
I could not find any bigger model, seems 12 outlet is the biggest around.

oh and shipping was free for me.
Not sure if free shipping is still available.

Update: now OOS :(

Last edited:
I could not find any bigger model, seems 12 outlet is the biggest around.
You probably don't want to plug more than 12 components into one power outlet anyways unless many of the components are not big power draw.

Tripp Lite vs. Belkin. Hmmm. ;)
If you're talking about plain old surge protection I think Tripp Lite is better. But Belkin does make solid products as I think the Belkin PureAV line of power conditioners are solid performers.

If you're talking about plain old surge protection I think Tripp Lite is better. But Belkin does make solid products as I think the Belkin PureAV line of power conditioners are solid performers.
Heh, I know. I was kind of mocking Belkin. You'd have to pay me to have/use a Belkin power strip or surge protector.

Heh, I know. I was kind of mocking Belkin. You'd have to pay me to have/use a Belkin power strip or surge protector.
Well send some Belkin power strips or surge protectors my way if you ever get a hold of them. :D Seriously, I think you can do a lot worse than use Belkin surge protectors. It's not that hard to make surge protectors nowadays and within specs, I don't think there are too many that don't do their job

You do got to be careful of the specs though. The tripp lite here is an 8 outlet model offering 3240 Joules protection. You can get a 6 outlet belkin model offering 555 Joules protection for like $10 that isn't as well made. Obviously you can't expect the same level of performance.

It's not really specs or price. I'm just not a fan of Belkin's products in general.

Back