Trouble accessing data from DLT Tape... any suggestions pls?

Treppiede

Limp Gawd
Gentlemen,
I recently started providing IT consulting for a determined company and with my luck their server's HDD took a dump before I even had time to build them a real server with RAID 1. Their old server was a P3 933MHz with two IBM DeskStar 75GXP Hard Drives (<--- don't ask :( ) setup as simple Master/Slave. The Master with W2K AD took a dump and apparently the Slave with their Data (where all workstations map to) was highly corrupted and unaccessible. I can't even read it with Knoppix, which says the drive can't be mounted due to a FS that is unaccessible or not specified...

The Secondary drive was the crucial one. Apparently, a Tape backup was made some time ago, and they handed me the tape asking to please extract as much data from it as possible. I've reinstalled WinXP Pro on a temporary HDD for now, and the SCSI Card + Tape Drive are successfully recognized. I can't however read any data from it. When I insert the tape, the unit makes sone noise and after some seconds it ejects it.

The Tape Drive says "VS TAPE" on the front and the media says "HP DLTtape IV Data Cartirdge" on it.

I am sorry but I am not very familiar with Tapes, and they weren't even able to tell me how the backup was written (VERITAS, MS or some other solution)...

Thank you in advance for your advice,

Walter

Back