Trouble finding the right tuner....

chickenselects

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

I was looking to buy a nintendo Wii and realized i dont own a tv (im in a dorm and use my roommates). Id like to get a MCE ready tuner with composite in so I can watch TV and possibly play the Wii on it when i move out. Im having ALOT of trouble finding a pci card or USB device that will allow me to watch tv but display up to a resolution of 720p (I realize the Wii goes to 420 but id like to have my options open for the 360).

I have one pci slot open and my only pci-express slot is being used by a 7900GT.

Any suggestions or rumors of a product that can do this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a ton

EDIT: I guess you could say im looking for a TV tuner with composite in that can display up to 720p.

Aren't you really looking for a tv that can handle the correct input? I'm a little confused as to why the Wii and tv tuner need to work together.

I think what you want is a tv with multiple inputs...

one input from your graphics card and one for your Wii system. If you want a tv tuner PCI card that will do HD content there is a slew of them but they don't have anything to do with inputs usually. Graphics cards sometimes come with the ability to output but it seems like you are looking for some kind of switching device and I don't think your intent is spelled out well...

I own the ati 650pro card b/c it will do both standard definition and High defintion (over the air) connection on one card b/c it has two ports for each kind of input.

Maybe try clarifying your question a bit more....

Also, keep in mind that many of the cards these days are doing MPEG2 compression (I think that there are other types) on the fly. This means that there is a .5 to full second delay between what is actually coming in over the cable line and when it shows up on the computer. This isn't a problem watching TV but renders most types of video games unplayable.

Like suggested ^^^, go with a TV with multiple inputs or find a card that isn't doing hardware compression. But if you want to record something, it'll be the PC having to pick up the load.

edit: is this still the case with the OTA, HD cards? I would imagine the delay would be a little more pronounced, but don't know for sure.

Back