TRUE 120 Rev C Splashing Air?

Alai

2[H]4U
I have a high speed Yate Loon fan set to push air through the TRUE 120 Rev C and I can feel alot of the air splashing out the sides instead of going through the TRUE 120. Is that normal?

yeah its normal.. even if the fans were spinning at the same speed which they most likely arent it would still happen.. you would have to run the pull fan at a higher rpm then the push fan..

I noticed the same thing when I had mine, although my fan setupw as less than ideal. I was using two thermalright fans, same thing that came with it.

Ok, so if you were to have two fans at different speeds, should the higher speed one be pull and lower be push? Or vice versa?

Ok, so if you were to have two fans at different speeds, should the higher speed one be pull and lower be push? Or vice versa?
Speed isn't the main factor, airflow is. I would think the fan with higher airflow should be pulling and the weaker fan should be pushing, but it probably doesn't make much difference either way.

I feel like I have the same issue with my megashadow. I had a push/pull going in a north south config, but it made too much noise so I took out the pull. I feel a lot of air escaping out the sides of the heatsink. It doesn't matter so much to me on the side with an exhaust fan, but the other side escapes right into my case. I've seen some "duct tape mods" to more thoroughly direct air flow, but I think I'm going to cut a piece of thin plastic to put on the one side that is leaking hot air into my case.

The issue is that the airflow and static pressure created by the 120mm fan mostly spits out air along the edges of the blades so a lot of air goes to the outside instead of through the fins.

The easiest thing to do is to take some hockey tape (some stretchable tape that is not overly hard, more ductile, can form to the shape of whatever it is going around) and to wrap it around your fan and the front of your heatsink to create a shroud.

Thanks for the advice. Is there a certain tape to use so there is no sticky residue when I remove the tape?

Thanks for the advice. Is there a certain tape to use so there is no sticky residue when I remove the tape?

Depends on the tape and the type of adhesive it uses.

Maybe a really cheap non stick solution would even be saran warap but that would be fragile and might fall off or get caught in a fan without you knowing it.

It'll be tricky too if you use the fan mounting clips and you don't have the plastic frame that some True's come with. I would really only cover up the top edge where the heatsink has that crescent dip and there is a gap between the fan and the heatsink and see if that helps. Remember, the True was designed this way and the engineers thought this was the best airflow pattern so perhaps there is nothing wrong with having some air splashing off the sides.

For me, it's not really an issue because I have a very thick 120mm fan (almost twice as thick as your yate loon) with a lot of static pressure and the blade design doesn't tend to push air out the sides.

Last edited:
Hmm... So an alternative solution would be a nice, think 120mm fan...

But then how do you fit it onto the heatsink? I imagine the fan clips do not stretch that far.

Hmm... So an alternative solution would be a nice, think 120mm fan...

But then how do you fit it onto the heatsink? I imagine the fan clips do not stretch that far.

The fan itself is thicker but the frame where the screw holes are are all standard size. Do some research into 120mm fans and different fan blade shapes. The thickness of the housing itself acts a short of shroud as well.

You can see thicker 120mm fans are chubbier but the frame part is sort of the same size and the metal clips stretch so there should be no problem

delta120mmfanafb1212she.jpg

This is not my fan though, I couldn't tell you what model I have as there is no label. It's some Japanese made fan that I rescued from an industrial photocopier that was broken @ work. I noticed it pushed a lot of air and was quieter than most fans I could find at the computer store.

Back