True 3 way sli ? w/ sound card/ physx card...

Xenozx

2[H]4U
OK, I know many boards are not true 3 way 16x sli. Its like with 3 cards its usually 16x 8x and 8x.

Well what if you have 1 video card, and you use a physx card and a PCI-E sound card?

or what if you had 2 videocards, and a PCI-E sound card.

by utilizing all three slots are you still limited to

16x 8x 8x

or since, your only using 1x of it is it like

16x 16x 1x?

so

1 4870x2
1 9600 GT physx
1 X-FI Titanium soundcard

or

2 4870x2's
1 X-FI Titanium soundcard

Maybe the P6TS WS board? I think you'd be looking at something with the NF200 chip on it also.

maybe i got off topic, lol, I already have the board I want. I have the DFI x58.

So i guess your saying, that if I use my sound card and a physics card then its going to force my motherboard into

16x 8x 8x,

So even though its not videocards, running SLI or crossfire, it still effects the slots because theres 3 cards installed.

DFI Options:

16/8/8 = 4870x2 or NV x16 / 9600GT x8 / PCI Sound Card / 4870x2 or NV x8
16/8/8 = 4870x2 or NV x16 / PCIE Sound x8 / PCI PhysX / 4870x2 or NV x8
16/8/8 = NV x16 / NV x8 / NV x8 (onboard audio)
16/16 = 4870x2 or NV x16 / PCI PhysX / 4870x2 or NV (onboard audio, or no physx and PCI audio)

I linked the EVGA "Classified" board because it allows you to do 3way SLI w/ PhysX and Sound card all at full speed. This was in response to your title "True 3 way sli ? w/ sound card/ physx card...", the DFI cannot do it as you know...

I think Biostar x58 allows to set 16/16/1, but if you don't go sli, 8x is plenty enough for physx and an overkill for sound

Maybe the P6TS WS board? I think you'd be looking at something with the NF200 chip on it also.

For 3-way SLI NF200-based mainboards will of course slow down performance as it only introduces more lag and no extra bandwidth. Just check the review HardOCP did :)

X8 PCIe 2.0 slots also provide more than enough bandwidth for any GPU currently out, so it's a non-issue anyway.

Well the only motherboard that can do true 3 way SLI with phsyx and a sound card is the eVGA Classified, so if that's what you want to do, thaw the only board that will do it :)

For 3-way SLI NF200-based mainboards will of course slow down performance as it only introduces more lag and no extra bandwidth. Just check the review HardOCP did :)

X8 PCIe 2.0 slots also provide more than enough bandwidth for any GPU currently out, so it's a non-issue anyway.

Which is why I will wait for reviews of the EVGA Classified before buying.

x8 versus x16 will depend on graphics card(s), resolution and the individual game being run. Some combination's show slight advantage to x8, but usually at lower res. At really high res, you can see up to ~15% improvement in using x16 over x8. The tests are out there sprinkled around.

And there went Anand with a preview of the Classified which shows 1-3% slower depending on game/res from the Classified. This doesn't look much off from Kyle's results on the P6T6 with NF200. But really, that just means what? 1-2 FPS? For me that would be worth it in order to gain the extra slots the Classified affords.

If your going to drop that kind of money on a x58 mobo, why not just save yourself a little more and go the P6T6 route? Even Anand said in their conclusion that the board is not really worth it unless your going ln2 or the likes. Plus, with the Asus board you get a wide variety of how to work out all your PCIe cards.

Well the only motherboard that can do true 3 way SLI with phsyx and a sound card is the eVGA Classified, so if that's what you want to do, thaw the only board that will do it :)

This is not true. The Asus P6T6 also has an NF200 chip.

So why does CF @ 8x 8x perform worse than 16x 16x at higher resolutions?

So why does CF @ 8x 8x perform worse than 16x 16x at higher resolutions?

Where did you see this? The only one I've ever seen was the TT article, but they are the anomaly in all those tests that are out there. I've yet to see anyone do a test with one of the current generation x2 cards.

I was thinking more about the P6T6 WS just for the sheer amount of PCIe slots more than necessarily the bandwidth. Should be plenty of room for just about any configuration of cards.

I'm not sure if this is contributing to the thread because I don't understand the OP's question but for what it's worth I have

PCIe x1 X-Fi Titanium Champion card
GTX 280 (x16)
GTX 280 (x8)
8800GT Physx (x8)

With no problems. There was no performance hit by running the second GTX 280 at x8.

If your going to drop that kind of money on a x58 mobo, why not just save yourself a little more and go the P6T6 route? Even Anand said in their conclusion that the board is not really worth it unless your going ln2 or the likes. Plus, with the Asus board you get a wide variety of how to work out all your PCIe cards.

Unless you want tri-sli + physx + x-fi ti, or tri-sli + raid controller etc...

P6T6 cannot do this

Back