True Solar Powered Laptop on the Horizon?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
This concept laptop is built around two solar panels on a frame of polycarbonate which provide the computer with continuous operating power. It’s a nice looking piece of technology, but will it operate in Seattle? :D

"Concept" means an artist thought it up, not that it is being prototyped.

So on the Horizon, no.

Eventually, probably.

Even ignoring the problems cooling such a computer where the chassis is hotter than the interior, using a black laptop out in the sun is a really dumb idea.

A high efficiency, mass produced 100cm^2 panel can supply around 0.7v @ 3.3A under *ideal conditions* in certain very sunny parts of the world (near the equator). At solar maximum during the day. In the local Summer. ;)

The laptop form factor shown would have space for about 12 of those 100cm^2 panels, giving up to 8.4v @ 3.3A (~28W, excluding sags from actually hooking up something to the panel and conversion losses). You may be able to run a modest spec laptop under impossibly ideal conditions with 1200cm^2 of panels, all while burning your fingers. :p

Even ignoring the problems cooling such a computer where the chassis is hotter than the interior, using a black laptop out in the sun is a really dumb idea.

A high efficiency, mass produced 100cm^2 panel can supply around 0.7v @ 3.3A under *ideal conditions* in certain very sunny parts of the world (near the equator). At solar maximum during the day. In the local Summer. ;)

The laptop form factor shown would have space for about 12 of those 100cm^2 panels, giving up to 8.4v @ 3.3A (~28W, excluding sags from actually hooking up something to the panel and conversion losses). You may be able to run a modest spec laptop under impossibly ideal conditions with 1200cm^2 of panels, all while burning your fingers. :p

By the time this comes out, there will be 8-core RIM processors that take 2 watts.

Of course, for the amount of energy you'd need to put into the light source to transfer to the laptop, you may as well use batteries.

Sunlight > room lights...

10w will run an iPad I think. So this could be used to run a big ARM powered netbook/tablet.

10w will run an iPad I think. So this could be used to run a big ARM powered netbook/tablet.
LOL, like to see you try. It will be equally funny to watch on both sunny and cloudy days. You do understand that the panel needs to be perpendicular to the sun to get highest output, right? It's not good enough to just be in the shade or getting ambient sunlight. The PV output will not be high without direct sunlight at close to a proper angle to the sun.

Take an iPad and cover the entire back with panels, which would be a little over 500cm^2. At noon near the equator on a cloudless day, the output while facing perfectly perpendicular to the sun would be less than 12W. On a cloudy day, the output would be in the 1-3W range under ideal conditions.

I've wanted to make a folding Solar blanket for my laptop. would take something like 30 square feet or something based off my numbers to match the output of my ac adapter. I forget the actual number. But it would be awesome for trips to remote places. Just unfold it out and run the cable to a voltage regulator and maybe a battery array to keep it somewhat constant.

If you find a flaw in my logic, don't be surprised. I just glanced over some numbers I found online some months ago.

I don't see why this wouldn't work. Solar powered calculators worked fine with indoor lighting. There are even solar powered keyboards.

I'd like to add, since indoor solar power produces less power than sunlight powered, I don't see why they couldn't make solar-assisted laptops. Keep it battery powered as it is now - laptops are getting better at battery efficiency. So, say a 5.5 battery hour laptop would become maybe 7 hours thanks to indoor solar assisted power. You'd still need to charge the battery via wall plugs or perhaps a slower charge via solar.

You do understand that the panel needs to be perpendicular to the sun to get highest output, right?

Sorry, I'm really ignorant about the limitations of solar power. Do you have any good materials I could look through?

Neat concept, but I'm not a believer. I guess they'd the specs would be dumbed down to something that consumes very little power.

Why can't these laptop geniuses find a way to harness he kinetic energy of one's typing and translate that to powering the processor? :rolleyes: I think HP or Compaq (either before they merged or around that time) was working on this. :confused:

Where the fuck is my flying car? Fuck this other shit.
And see-thru glasses! :p

I don't see why this wouldn't work. Solar powered calculators worked fine with indoor lighting. There are even solar powered keyboards.

Keyboards and basic calculators use much less power than a laptop would. That's why you only see basic calculators with solar panels. The high-end (TI-83/84/89 etc) don't have solar panels. Keyboards and calculators use on the order of milliwatts to tenths of watts. Hundreds to thousand times less power than a laptop.

Back