TruePower 2.0 vs. Neo HE

sandmanx

[H]F Junkie
I need a new PSU for my parents box, since it's shutting off constantly. It's an Athlon XP 2500+ on an Asus A7N8X Deluxe board.

I went up to Fry's since there is one right around the corner, and they had an Antec Truepower 2.0 480w for $70, and a Neo HE 480w(atx v2.2) for $80. Which one is a better choice to run on this older board, and be able to move to a new machine whenever I get sick of this one when I'm visiting?

480w should be more than enough for what they use the computer for. I will occasionally game on it with the 9800 Pro that's on it, but I don't see anymore power sucking devices on the machine. All it's really used for is web surfing, email checking, and I fold on it. I want to get one of the PSUs above since I can get it locally this weekend, while they are out of town. Money isn't a concern, I want stability.

sandmanx said:
I need a new PSU for my parents box, since it's shutting off constantly. It's an Athlon XP 2500+ on an Asus A7N8X Deluxe board.

I went up to Fry's since there is one right around the corner, and they had an Antec Truepower 2.0 480w for $70, and a Neo HE 480w(atx v2.2) for $80. Which one is a better choice to run on this older board, and be able to move to a new machine whenever I get sick of this one when I'm visiting?

480w should be more than enough for what they use the computer for. I will occasionally game on it with the 9800 Pro that's on it, but I don't see anymore power sucking devices on the machine. All it's really used for is web surfing, email checking, and I fold on it. I want to get one of the PSUs above since I can get it locally this weekend, while they are out of town. Money isn't a concern, I want stability.

I don't recommend either of those PSU's for that system, since its motherboard lacks a 2x2 ATX12V connector. Not only that system cannot use the +12V2 rail in those PSU's, but there will be crossloading issues with those PSU's. Instead, I'd pick a PSU which has only a single +12V rail for that system.

E4g1e said:
I don't recommend either of those PSU's for that system, since its motherboard lacks a 2x2 ATX12V connector. Not only that system cannot use the +12V2 rail in those PSU's, but there will be crossloading issues with those PSU's. Instead, I'd pick a PSU which has only a single +12V rail for that system.

Hmmmm, That went right over my head. I haven't shopped for a PSU in a while, but I never thoguht there were any problems running a dual rail PSU on an older system. I guess I'll do some research when I get back tonight from going out.

You can, but you'll only be using a small amount of the +12v. The way they are divided, in half, specificly, for the 2x2 motherboard plug. Since yours doesn't have that, one of the rails is rendered useless. Go with something with a nice single strong +12 rail.

Back