trying 3Ghz with stock hsf

best [486]

Limp Gawd
yeah, mmmkay I have a 939-pin 3000 vinny [current temps&speed in sig] and if I can figure out how to oc my ram than ill try 3ghz

66.6% oc on stock hsf!!!

And watch your temperatures carefully, if you run into instability, it could be that its just running too hot. Either that or the higher voltages could create dangerous heat, watch the temps and such carefully.

[QUOTE='best [486]166.6% oc on stock hsf!!![/QUOTE]
No it's not, it's only 66%. Still good though, pics?

33c LOAD on stock air cooling? WTF are you in an igloo or something? :D

N H O said:
wats a vinny?
venice, its people trying tofit in with us cool winnie users :cool: ima have to call BS on those reading unlees you got some god core and are running at stock volts or something 0_0

no way is it possible. Most venice chips wont do 3ghz with watercooling on a high end board. No way any venice is doing 3ghz on stock cooling and a midrage mobo... I don't care how good it is.

it is possible, no doubt about it. unlikely but possible. my winnie can hit 2.7 at 1.6 and thats a good OC from what i hear so meh

I highly doubt that motherboard will be able to give you the 333MHz that you need to get 3GHz on the processor, also your motherboard is giving you bad readings if you are getting 33C at load.

Viper87227 said:
no way is it possible. Most venice chips wont do 3ghz with watercooling on a high end board. No way any venice is doing 3ghz on stock cooling and a midrage mobo... I don't care how good it is.
most. some will ;)

also, venice seems to be more tolerant of voltage than the 1mb cache cores :p

0mega said:
venice, its people trying tofit in with us cool winnie users :cool: ima have to call BS on those reading unlees you got some god core and are running at stock volts or something 0_0
exactly :D who calls a venice a vinny? sounds retarded...

Stock HSF? Stop dreaming. Its aluminum, and has a low-power fan. I highly doubt your going to get far with a stock hsf.

(cf)Eclipse said:
imo, winnie is pretty lame too ;)

It sounds lame (and makes me think of Winnie Cooper :confused: ) but it does make more since. Winnie... Winchester. Your atleast taking the begining of the word. Venice to vinnie, your taking the first letter and thats it.

Emission said:
Stock HSF? Stop dreaming. Its aluminum, and has a low-power fan. I highly doubt your going to get far with a stock hsf.
Yeah but he forgot to mention the 300mm intake and blowhole fans that he has to yell over.

cant the 3000+ not go past 2.8 due to memory controler limits?(dont read too much into amd myself but its whatever is equivlent to the fsb... in other words the mult is too low)

i was expecting this to be a dothan thread... 3 ghz on stock ct-479 isnt too far of a stretch.. venice at 3 ghz on stock is tho :rolleyes:

I have seen crazier things done then 3GHz with a 3000+ Venice on stock cooling. With those kind of temps it could very well be done IMO...it'd have to be a REALLY good chip though. My 3000+ Venice did 2.97GHz on air in a room @ 22C. 330x9 wasn't easy on air, can't remember what voltage I needed...but all I had on the chip was a Zalman CNPS7700-CU. Sure it wasn't stock cooling, but my temps didn't actually drop THAT much. One thing I did do was take the IHS off the chip, which dropped load temps a fair bit for me...but you won't be doing that with the stock cooler...so that's out.

All in all what I'm going to say is that this could be done...but the odd's are NOT in favor of it.

What voltage are you using to hit 2.7GHz? I might be able to see if I can dig up what voltage I needed to hit 300x9 on my Venice and we can compare. Easy enough to do...and that way if your voltage is already much higher then what I needed we can start to assume one thing or another about if you'll make it to that magic 3. :cool:

EDIT: Found it....haven't found any pics yet, but found out what I was running for voltage. I was at 2.96GHz (329x9) @ 1.60v using a Zalman CNPS7700-ALCU. I knew I had a nice chip...but damn...1.6v sure was nice for that clock, I miss that thing. :(

Im using the 5.5% overvolt
and can someone kill this thread for awhile so i can get some time to save my money to buy new ram

best [486] said:
and can someone kill this thread for awhile so i can get some time to save my money to buy new ram

Send a PM the mods of the Overclocking & Cooling forum if you want it locked...they don't always keep a close enough eye on things to lock a thread if you post something like "please kill this thread".

best [486] said:

Figures...

Back