Trying NEC PA241W and Eizo S2433W and still not happy :(

WarlockFX

n00b
Hi all, I beg you for some advice.

Before now I still used old LG 915FT+ CRT screen. I was happy with it, but unfortunately it died on me, and so I been forced to look for new screen. Because I didn’t want to save money on something that will spend so much time looking at, I decided to buy something better than average LCD – NEC PA241W.

Unfortunately I have discovered the white-glowing black of the IPS technology EXTREMLY distracting. (The NEC had also serious problems with colours, but I have discovered that this can be fixed by calibration with SpectraView II and Spyder 3. sRGB emulation is working very well now btw. (Luckily I have been able to borrow the stuff for calibration - not that I owned it)).

So, as I can return the screen in 14 days here, I have decided to try buying Eizo S2433W to get rid of the ips glow. The Eizo with its PVA indeed improved the blacks and the glow is gone - the dark scenes in films are MUCH better. I also love its EyeCare mode which allows me to use extremely low brightness (I am used to set brightness very low when I write in Word in the night.). There are unfortunately some bad things too though. The PVA colour shifting is not as bad as the IPS glow so let’s say I would accept that. Worse problem is, that S2433W doesn’t have proper sRGB emulation. Playing with color adjustment in Eizo screen manager improved things, but I am still considering if it is enough (I am not sure if you can use Spyder 3 to improve colours for non colour-managed apps on this monitor. Never used other software related to calibration than SpectraView II.). And one thing that is totally unacceptable is the video tearing that I am experiencing. I always thought that video tearing is more related to the videocard and drivers, but I have both LCDs connected to the same card at the same time in duplicate mode and only the Eizo has tearing (this test shows it very clearly on it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRe9ykSfXyQ&NR=1).

So now I am sitting here with PA241W and S2433W connected at the same time and deciding which one to return, or if I should return both and look for yet another one.

I am going to use the display like this: 50% MS Office & web browsing (I must be able to set very low brightness to prevent eye fatigue), 25% watching videos (Would love to have good blacks without IPS glow for the dark scenes. And no tearing!), 15% photo editing (Just a hobby - I don’t need professional results, though I was hoping for somewhat better colours than the cheapest LCDS.), 10% games (Top response times not necessary, but it should still be enough for occasional gaming.).

I don’t really need wide gamut. If the display is going to be wide gamut, it should have working sRGB emulation.

I want 16:10 screen, preferably 24” 1920x1200, though I could also consider smaller display with only 1680 x 1050. My budget is 1000EUR, but I am willing to spend that much only if I will be really satisfied. I am thinking if I maybe should not buy something much cheaper now and wait for some new technology (OLED, where are you?) to appear.

Please advise, as I really don’t know what to do now.

There are four things you can do, i think.

- Accept 16:9 and invest in one of Eizo's offerings (or Samsung's C-PVA, or BenQ MVA panels).
- NEC LCD2490WUXi would solve the white glow issues (discontinued in 2009)
- Stay with 16:10 and S-PVA, but live with the oversaturation in non-color space aware programs. I couldn't find any 16:10 S-PVA with sRGB color space, but perhaps my searching abilities sucks.
- Accept white glow

:)

I had a Dell CRT (P721 or something, with a Sony Trinitron tube), and went for the S-PVA S2243W Eizo because I always had wanted to own an Eizo CRT, which was way out of my budget. I was quite disappointed with the S2243W due to the color shifting and whitening at angles. So after it was returned, I sat down, confused and annoyed, and started reading user reviews.
I found out that I didn't want a large color space for my uses The LCD2490WUXi was discontinued, but I managed to find one, and overall, I'm really satisfied with that purchase. But for your uses, the brightness cannot be set low enough to no cause eye fatigue at night (in the dark).

All LCD panel technologies have their problems, but me personally the gamma shift of PVA/MVA bothers me WAY more than IPS glow. I'd keep the NEC.

I have NEC 2090uxi first-gen with the A-TW polarizer which eliminates IPS glow, so it's the best of both worlds. If you can, find a first-gen NEC 2490wuxi or NEC 2690wuxi (wide gamut), though they will be hard to find.

And one thing that is totally unacceptable is the video tearing that I am experiencing. I always thought that video tearing is more related to the videocard and drivers, but I have both LCDs connected to the same card at the same time in duplicate mode and only the Eizo has tearing (this test shows it very clearly on it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRe9ykSfXyQ&NR=1).

In my rig, with ATI, when you connect 2 screens this ALWAYS happens to the secondary screen. Try to connect the Eizo alone or as primary and see if this solves the problem.

Exactly, which is why the OP should buy the Foris FX2431

Unless I missed something the Eizo Foris FX2431 is not wide gamut. Review:
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2009/review-eizo-fx2431.html

Actually it is wide gamut:
http://www.eizo.com/global/products/foris/fx2431/index.html
Wide Color Gamut
The wide gamut reproduces 96% of the Adobe RGB color space for true-to-life color when viewing digital photos taken in a camera’s Adobe RGB mode.

It manages to have wide gamut and limited sRGB coverage at the same time. It falls short in blue but is wide in Red and Green according to Prad.

Thought it was sRGB, seems silly to be WG considering it is partially aimed at console gamers, and the only people who know that Eizo products exists seem to be enthusiasts.

Last edited:
In my rig, with ATI, when you connect 2 screens this ALWAYS happens to the secondary screen. Try to connect the Eizo alone or as primary and see if this solves the problem.

It seems it helped. Thank you very much! :)

Did you try MultiProfiler to configure your picture modes to give you a "Night Mode" preset with lower brightness? This might help your nighttime editing problem.

Another alternative to your wide gamut PA241W: NEC has just announced the P241W, which is an sRGB version of the PA241W. It is an sRGB display and has the same Picture Mode controls as the MultiSync PA Series.

I hope that this helps!

Did you try MultiProfiler to configure your picture modes to give you a "Night Mode" preset with lower brightness? This might help your nighttime editing problem.

Another alternative to your wide gamut PA241W: NEC has just announced the P241W, which is an sRGB version of the PA241W. It is an sRGB display and has the same Picture Mode controls as the MultiSync PA Series.

I hope that this helps!

But that is advertised as an e-IPS panel as opposed to the PA241W's P-IPS, which from the reports of many has had much more quality control issues than P-IPS. Yes I know I know, e-IPS is the same tech underlying as H and P-IPS, but the quality control is much worse.

- Accept 16:9 and invest in one of Eizo's offerings (or Samsung's C-PVA, or BenQ MVA panels).

Isn't S-PVA superior to C-PVA and MVA? I just checked one review of Samsung F2380M C-PVA now and they found out that it is much slower than S-PVA panels, stating that some games are completely unplayable on it. Response times are not my highest priority, but they still should not be catastrophic. I understand that it would solve my problem with the gamut, but 16:9 would be a rather big sacrifice for me, so I would be willing to do that only if the display would be really great, not that it would introduce other problems.

I hope that this helps!

Yes, but the lowest setting you can choose is 40 cd/m² (which results in real 54 cd/m² according to calibration software). That is actually probably better than average - I think (fear) there are displays with much higher minimum brightness around. But my eyes would still love even lower level when writing in Word after sunset. Bit extreme demand, I know :) …But I guess I could solve that with buying stonger lightning for the room – the main reason why I don’t like the PA241W are the poor blacks with IPS glow.

As far as the P241W is concerned, I don't actually have problems with the wide gamut of PA241W as the PA241W (contrary to most wide gamut displays around I think) has working sRGB emulation. The problem is with the Eizo - S2433W doesn't have sRGB emulation.

- Stay with 16:10 and S-PVA, but live with the oversaturation in non-color space aware programs. I couldn't find any 16:10 S-PVA with sRGB color space, but perhaps my searching abilities sucks.

Damn, is it really impossible to calibrate and program the LUT in S2433W with some software and Spyder 3 for acceptable sRGB emulation? I have heard that it is impossible as NEC has 14-bit 3D LUT and S2433W only 10-bit, but could someone confirm it?

The LCD2490WUXi was discontinued, but I managed to find one, and overall, I'm really satisfied with that purchase. But for your uses, the brightness cannot be set low enough to no cause eye fatigue at night (in the dark).

Yes, I am bit concerned about the brightness. Does anybody know how low is the minimal brightness in cd/m² on the 2490/2690WUXi?

And do you think it is a good deal to buy LCD2490WUXi for nearly half the price of a new PA241W (I found someone selling it)? It is a 3 years old panel without any warranty now...

I have heard that it is impossible as NEC has 14-bit 3D LUT and S2433W only 10-bit, but could someone confirm it?
Its neither a question of the LUT bit depth nor the type of LUT (3 x 1D LUT or a 3D LUT). The S2433W doesen't allow and implement these transformations. The CG models feature a flexible color space emulation on basis of a neutral display state. Same ist true for the NEC PA and SV models.

Best regards

Denis

Last edited:
Isn't S-PVA superior to C-PVA and MVA? I just checked one review of Samsung F2380M C-PVA now and they found out that it is much slower than S-PVA panels, stating that some games are completely unplayable on it. Response times are not my highest priority, but they still should not be catastrophic. I understand that it would solve my problem with the gamut, but 16:9 would be a rather big sacrifice for me, so I would be willing to do that only if the display would be really great, not that it would introduce other problems.
I honestly am unable to answer that. While I did notice a little slower response times on the S2243W for darker color shades, it wasn't upsetting at all. But if C-PVA or MVA is worse in this regards, it might become a problem.
I understand your concerns with 16:9.

I believe Sailor Moon answered your second quote, and while I can't remember much of the OSD functionality of the S2243, i don't recall seeing any possibility for choosing a custom color mode on it either.

About the 2490WUXi - it depends on it's condition, how much it has been used. But it sounds like a good deal. Make sure it isn't a WUXI2 though, and make sure to get some pics of it showing nothing but a black image - in order to verify uniformity. The warranty is 4 years, but I don't think the warranty is transferable.
I think the mimimum brightness before panel blocking takes place was measured to be around 140 cd/m2. This value drops the more "on time" the unit has.

Yes, I am bit concerned about the brightness. Does anybody know how low is the minimal brightness in cd/m² on the 2490/2690WUXi?

And do you think it is a good deal to buy LCD2490WUXi for nearly half the price of a new PA241W (I found someone selling it)? It is a 3 years old panel without any warranty now...

My 2490 was about 140 nits minimum brightness when brand new.
But you could calibrate lower settings using panel blocking/low brightness mode. These will rob contrast though. I created a 100 nits profile when I first got it for night time use.

But an older panel will be less bright. Today the minimum brightness on my 2490 is 70 nits, which is is fine at night. Any panel with a few thousand hours of use will probably go under 100 nits.

I don't know what it is worth, but I wouldn't trade my 2490 for any panel on the market today. The combination of IPS with A-TW layer is almost like using a CRT as far as viewing angles are concerned.

Its neither a question of the LUT bit depth nor the type of LUT (3 x 1bit LUT or a 3D LUT). The S2433W doesen't allow and implement these transformations. The CG models feature a flexible color space emulation on basis of a neutral display state. Same ist true for the NEC PA and SV models.

Best regards

Denis

Thank you for your reply. I feared that. I think that the NEC clearly offers better value for money than the Eizo... if only I wasn't so sensitive to the ips glow :(

But you could calibrate lower settings using panel blocking/low brightness mode. These will rob contrast though. I created a 100 nits profile when I first got it for night time use.

Well I am basically using 80-100 cd/m2 during both day and night for video etc. (it is a somewhat dark room) and the lowest possible 40 cd/m² (which results in real 54 according to Spyder 3) setting for Word and web browsing at night. Yes, the picture degrades when going under 80, but as long as the text stays well readable in Word (which does) such low settings are very usefull for me.

Do you know what is the absolutely lowest brightness you could calibrate? ...Though I am not sure if I could calibrate at all - I am in Europe and I think that in the the older NEC models for the European market the HW calibration was blocked.

I have a Samsung 215TW (S-PVA) and a Samsung F2380 (C-PVA) to compare at home.

I would say the Samsung 215TW is superior in every way except for the AG coating. The 215TW AG coating is probably comparable to most TNs while the F2380 is almost like a "shiny matte".

The most terrible thing about the F2380 is the slow response time. I can't perceive input lag with the mouse or anything like that..... but while watching some videos, the display simply can't keep up! It's quite terrible in fact. So it probably would not be a good gaming monitor either. The F2380 also is very weak with shadow details. But it makes for a good monitor for surfing and text work.

For me, I'm disappointed with the fact that Samsung have turned away from quality S-PVA panels. I like how they look and I don't even notice the gamma shift unless I think about it.

I come from using a Trinitron CRT for about 10 years so I took a two week vacation from work seeing if my eyes would adjust to a led lcd asus I bought in March the first 5 days was pretty bad.
It's alot better now except I still think it's too bright even at 17 brightness and 30 contrast in Nvidia's control panel. It's just the white that bugs me vision looks spotty. I suppose I shouldn't even be using it but..

I bought a Antec 6 Bias light for the back of it but I doubt it's going to help.

Here is my lists of checks to avoid eyestrain =)

Angle Monitor slightly down so the light is indirect

Raise your chair so your eyes are at the top of the screen looking slightly down

Monitor is about 2 1/2 feet away

Shaded lamp behind your or on the side

Clean desk around the monitor

Drink Water

Clean your glasses =)

I just turned down the Gamma to like .52

But that is advertised as an e-IPS panel as opposed to the PA241W's P-IPS, which from the reports of many has had much more quality control issues than P-IPS. Yes I know I know, e-IPS is the same tech underlying as H and P-IPS, but the quality control is much worse.

Hi powruser,

Even though this is an e-IPS panel, every NEC MultiSync P and PA Series displays have a digital uniformity correction applied at the factory based on the specific characteristics of the individual panel to adjust for those differences. We also back this up with a 4 year warranty.

-- Art

I have now definitely decided that I will NOT accept the NEC's awful blacks with white glow. It is destroying the image more than Eizo's PVA colour shifting and wide gamut oversaturation (after I reduced it at least partially with the colour controls I mean) combined. I am returning the NEC tomorrow.

I didn’t have time to do large amount of research on C-PVAs and MVAs, but the discussion is confirming my suspicions about them being very slow and no one clearly recommended any specific model so I am not currently considering them.

So now stays the option to keep the Eizo - maybe after several days of usage I will be more certain if I can live with the PVA color shifting and wide gamut oversaturation or not.

Other option is to get old used LCD2490WUXi or LCD2690WUXi, but the minimal brightness might not be as low as I would wish and it would mean no warranty and no option to return in 14 days if I would find some problem with it in the end.

I am still curious to know more about the effects of A-TW layer. Does it really eliminates the white glow completely, or just reduces it? How black are the blacks with it? Even with the A-TW they will probably not be as deep as on S-PVA, yes?

I have actually found someone selling both LCD2490WUXi and LCD2690WUXi (2690 should be the Spectra view version which as far as I understand can be calibrated even in EU). Is the only important difference between them the size and the fact that the LCD2690WUXi is wide gamut (or are there other significant differences such as with response times?)? Can someone please confirm if the LCD2690WUXi can be calibrated for good emulation of the sRGB gamut (as the NEC PA241W with Spectraview II can)?

I would also like to ask for your opinion about Eizo S2402. It is only a TN panel, which everybody agrees is the worst technology, but it has better stuff inside that other TNs (10-bit LUT), so how much that helps and how much it stays behind the displays I have considered this far? (Sorry if it is a stupid question, but I am upgrading from CRT and I am not that familiar with TN drawbacks even if it is the most spread technology around now). I have not been able to find any detailed review of Eizo S2402.

I have actually found someone selling both LCD2490WUXi and LCD2690WUXi (2690 should be the Spectra view version which as far as I understand can be calibrated even in EU)
You can also calibrate the non SV versions in the EU. Not with the official solution of BasICColor (SpectraView Profiler) but with SpectraView II. There is no hardware lock regarding the US software.

Can someone please confirm if the LCD2690WUXi can be calibrated for good emulation of the sRGB gamut (as the NEC PA241W with Spectraview II can)?
No. If you want to have a S-PVA WCG display combined with a good color space emulation you should look out for the Eizo CG241W/ CG242W. Both are EOL but with some luck you can still get them.

Best regards

Denis

Last edited:
Unbelievable paranormal reading.

I have tested NEC PA241w first hand.
It's an excellent monitor with superb colors, high contrast and very convincing black.
Are you determined to see LCD glow?
Yes, it's there if you look from diagonal angle.

LCD glow on PA241w is not an issue.
What I dislike about it is crystalline effect that is not critical but unfortunately more visible than on the previous model.

I wouldn't even consider older S-PVA with wide gamut issue, colorshift, loss of contrast from any angle (not only diagonal) and with some LCD glow as well and crazy price.

PA241w (left) and 2490WUXi

117fbee.jpg

26" NEC 2690 is WG and does not support sRGB.
That's the only difference.

How black are the blacks with it? Even with the A-TW they will probably not be as deep as on S-PVA, yes?

Yes and no.
On this S-PVA monitor (washed out colors) measured brightness of black is lower, CR higher than on 2490.

5uia6w.jpg

Viewing angles=key factor of LCD technology.

TN (or PVA) from Eizo is not better. Just more expensive.

You've got to get rid of some fobia

You can also calibrate the non SV versions in the EU. Not with the official solution of BasICColor (SpectraView Profiler) but with SpectraView II. There is no hardware lock regarding the US software.

You mean only the LCD2690WUXi though, yes? Because I don't see LCD2490WUXi (the first version) on the list of supported models of Spectraview II software.

No. If you want to have a S-PVA WCG display combined with a good color space emulation you should look out for the Eizo CG241W/ CG242W. Both are EOL but with some luck you can still get them.

Thank you for informing me about them, but those are out of my budget I am afraid.

Unbelievable paranormal reading.
I have tested NEC PA241w first hand.
It's an excellent monitor with superb colors, high contrast and very convincing black.
Are you determined to see LCD glow?
Yes, it's there if you look from diagonal angle.

I am sorry, but that is just not what I see. I am not looking at the screen from any special angles. It is already bad enough looking at it the normal way. Yes, the colors are amazing on brighter pictures but with darker scenes the picture deteriorates significantly.

Maybe your room with the display is very bright/you don't work much with dark graphic/you no longer remember the great blacks on CRTs from which I am still upgrading/your eyes are just more sensitive to other things that my eyes, or whatever are the reasons, but the problem I have with NEC is not acceptable for me, even it might not be significant to you.

You've got to get rid of some fobia.

Yes, maybe I am a bit paranoid about the display, but I have only one pair of eyes and I am going to use the screen nearly every day of my live for several years so I think I have a reason to be.

albovin i completely agree. after using some of the best IPS panels around, i could never go back to PVA or MVA.

I have only one pair of eyes and I am going to use the screen nearly every day of my live for several years so I think I have a reason to be.

I understand and agree with you in that part.

You'll have to sacrifice some image quality and go with PVA variation of "glow" if it affects you less.
Unfortunately the latest PVA (c-PVA) appears only in cropped 1920x1080 resolution so far.

but those are out of my budget I am afraid (Eizo CG241W/ CG242W)
You are lucky. You would just trow away more $$$$.

Last edited:
Thank you for informing me about them, but those are out of my budget I am afraid.
As they're EOL you can sometimes get those screens comparatively cheap.

Best regards

Denis

Trying NEC PA241W and Eizo S2433W and still not happy :(
If you want to be happy get SONY GDM-FW900
Good things come in big packages :rolleyes:

ps. just be sure to have über-strong desk coz this thing is HEAVY :D

Good that I'm not to late.
Bad that not someone else posted this.

EIZO EasyPIX Color Matching Tool to Support Hardware Calibration

Hakusan, Japan, January 14, 2011 – Eizo Nanao Corporation (TSE: 6737) today announced version 2 of its EIZO EasyPIX color matching tool. This new version will support hardware calibration, thereby expanding its appeal from amateur photographers to a much wider audience of professionals in digital photography and other color-critical fields such as graphic design, pre-press, and animation CAD.
http://www.eizo.com/global/press/releases/htmls/EasyPIX_2.html

Compatible Monitors FlexScan SX3031W, SX2762W, SX2761W, SX2462W, SX2461W, S2433W, S2432W, T2351W (Windows only), EV2333W, SX2262W, S2243W, S2242W, S2233W, S2232W

FORIS FS2331 (Windows only)

Obviously I don't know if the gamut restriction thing really works for the S2433, since I don't own that monitor. But it's certainly worth a try.
There's an active user here that I believe own it though, his name is sblantipodi.

Bad that not someone else posted this.
Eizo calls it a hardware calibration but it works quite different than what I would call a real hardware calibration, for example available for the Eizo CG oder NEC PA/ SV screens. Finally it is a comfort feature. EasyPIX sets OSD options (RGB Gain, Brightness, Gradation) automatically. There are no further optimizations. The grey axis is not touched You can compare this to the first step in a software calibration process where the user is guided by the software to reach the calibration aims as close as possible through OSD controls. EasyPIX makes this for you but then skips the videocard LUT optimizations and profiles the display directly.

Unfortunately the review of the Eizo SX2762W wasn't translated. We have tested the EasyPix solution in detail there:
http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2011/test-eizo-sx2762w-teil14.html#Hardwarekalibration

Yes, EasyPIX can also access fixed, color space limiting modes, at least for SX devices.

I want 16:10 screen, preferably 24” 1920x1200, though I could also consider smaller display with only 1680 x 1050. My budget is 1000EUR
Apart from the mentioned CG241W/CG242W (which were sometimes sold out well under the common price here in Germany) you could also think about getting a recent S-PVA model with 22". The CG223W incorporates all features of the bigger models.

Best regards

Denis

Last edited:

This is your best bet, to get the 2490WUXi-BK. While backlight brightness may be limited in how far it can go, you can use either a low-bright mode or go into the "panel blocking" range where the white level is lowered digitally to achieve target brightness. I have the LCD2490WUXi2-BK not the original, but I'm pretty sure it works like this on the first model. You'll lose contrast but it's not a problem because the A-TW polarizer makes blacks look better anyways (compared to non A-TW IPS with glow).

Couldn't they just implement some kind of a one ring to rule them all… eee I mean framework into the OS that would colour manage everything, basically assuming that all apps are sRBG unless specified otherwise? If Windows 8 would be able to do that, I would buy them. Now with more and more displays becoming wide gamut, it would solve issues for many people.

Couldn't they just implement some kind of a one ring to rule them all… eee I mean framework into the OS that would colour manage everything, basically assuming that all apps are sRBG unless specified otherwise? If Windows 8 would be able to do that, I would buy them. Now with more and more displays becoming wide gamut, it would solve issues for many people.

I think the Macintosh has better system color management built in to it than Windows.

Windows relies on the software to be color-managed unfortunately. I remember when Vista first came out, I was (naively) fooled into thinking they had fixed the wide gamut issue because the Windows picture viewer was color managed and read the properties of my LCD2690WUXi-BK and did the proper gamut transformation so it looked sRGB.

But I was wrong and later disappointed. Speaking of which, Denis was being nice about the 2690's sRGB mode. It is horrific. Downright the worst sRGB mode I've ever seen by a huge amount.

Too bad because it is otherwise a beautiful monitor in every way.

Back