Trying to back up old 20mb Seagate hard drive

MikeS

n00b
I'm trying to backup my old Seagate ST-238 hard drive but the 8088 won't boot up. I tried taking the controller card and hard drive and putting them in my old 386 but it says controller error when it boots up. I tried using the controller card already in my 386 but the Seagate has 2 ribbon cable coming off it so it doesn't work, this is what it looks like:

st238r.jpg

st238r2.jpg

So, I'm not sure what I should try next.. anybody have any ideas? I wish I could get it to work in my old 8088 but there's no video, I tried different monitors, mono and color and no luck. Thanks

I have an interesting question for you: wtf is on a 20mb hard drive that you need to back up?! Haha, I can't even think of anything to put on 20mb! Just asking :)

ahh, that would do it! Uhh, I haven't been in hardware for quite long enough to know off-hand what kind of interface that drive has, but I would imagine, if you were to go to a computer recycling center, that you would probably be able to find a perfectly fine 8086 sitting in there every once awhile.

My school papers from elementary school are on it, or so my mom says. I don't remember using it for school as much as our 386..

You need to adjust the jumpers on the controller card to account for free IRQ and IO space in the 386. It seems that doing that is your best bet, but it won't be fun. Legacy hardware is a bitch.

THe poster above me is correct. While that drive itself is an RLL drive [not ide] the controller card is the key. - Most likely it is on irq 5 or 14. Most Likely your 386 has IRQ 14 used already for the ide, and 5 is most likely used for a sound card. I would pull everything out of the 386 that is *not* imperative (sound cards, network cards, modems) and leave just the ram, and video card in place.

I figured out the problem with the 8088, there was a jumper that had to be closed for the onboard video to work. Apparently we upgraded to a Hercules EGA video card and disabled the onboard video. Thanks for the ideas

Back