Trying to decide which LCD HDTV to use as PC monitor

My budget is about $900 max and so far I'm considering a 32" Sony XBR9 or a 42" LG 42LG70, both being 120hz LCDs that I know will only allow me 60hz over inputs, but it's going to double as a large TV to watch 1080p movies on. I'm noticing that almost all 1080p sets now are starting to include PC inputs with a single VGA port on the back and an audio jack (which I don't care about). Are these TVs with inputs labeled as PC inputs good enough to qualify as being able to be properly be used as a computer monitor for reading text and doing regular tasks or am I going to want one of those that has special modes that turn off the algorithims that mess with text? :confused:

my buddy has a 27 inch 1080p westinghouse that is about 4 years old now and he doesn't have any trouble putting word documents on it.

remember, a 1080p TV is going to have better resolution (more pixels) than most widescreen monitors less than 22 inches.

LG is known for making good quality IPS-A panels for their TV's. There's probably some input lag present from the 120hz processing, but depending on what games you play, it may not be a problem. Also, you can always use DVI over HDMI instead of VGA. It will be recognized by your GTX 285 as 1080P automatically. You just need a simple DVI/HDMI dongle or cable.

honestly, I'd go with a large monitor instead. Depending on which display you use, you might run into problems with overscan and other BS plus you'll have higher resolutions avalible on a monitor.

With that said, good luck and let us know how it works out for ya

If the dot pitch doesn't bug you, you'll love a big hdtv. I have a 42", and while I'd like it to have more pixels, for me the extra resolution of a 30" monitor is outweighed by the disadvantages -- much more video card performance needed, and that tiny, tiny 30" screen :p

My budget is about $900 max and so far I'm considering a 32" Sony XBR9 or a 42" LG 42LG70, both being 120hz LCDs that I know will only allow me 60hz over inputs, but it's going to double as a large TV to watch 1080p movies on. I'm noticing that almost all 1080p sets now are starting to include PC inputs with a single VGA port on the back and an audio jack (which I don't care about). Are these TVs with inputs labeled as PC inputs good enough to qualify as being able to be properly be used as a computer monitor for reading text and doing regular tasks or am I going to want one of those that has special modes that turn off the algorithims that mess with text? :confused:

Many 120Hz sets have really bad input lag, so be careful and do lots of google searches for "model# input lag".

You'll want to use an HDMI/DVI input instead of the VGA port. The image quality will be significantly better. One caveat is that many TVs will only turn off their stupid edge/motion enhancement features if you're connected over the VGA port. Vote with your wallet and avoid those models entirely.

Find a model that has these features and you'll be fine. You'll probably find that only a small handful exist that meet all the criteria. It was certainly the case for me when I went searching for my ~50" display.
1) No overscan
2) Ability to turn of edge enhancement - virtually every TV will do this automatically, many can turn it down or off. This will make text as crisp as any LCD monitor.
3) Low/no input lag on HDMI inputs (or at least the option to switch it to a "game" mode to reduce the lag. Pretty darn important if you plan to game on it.
4) Proper 24p support. Many 120Hz televisions don't actually correctly display 24p sources and only use the 120Hz to do "motion flow" or some other similarly named feature.

Thank you Mozex that is very informative. I'm leaniing towards the XBR9 because it has 24p mode and game mode, which IIRC, only has 30ms of input lag (very respectable imo) if the guy at avsforums wasn't pulling that stat out of his ass. Another TV that I'm considering is a 37" Panny, but I'm trying to figure out if it has 24p mode or a way to disable edge enhancement. I'll update this thread when I decide on what I buy for anyone else who is curious. And if there is any more advice I would like to hear it...

I use a 32" Samsung right now as my monitor. It's 720p.

It works, but I'll be upgrading to a 1080 shortly. It works wonderful for games. I can max the shit out of things @ 1360x768.. but web browsing at that resolution is horrible.

I currently use a Samsung LN32A650 with the "PC rename trick" on the second HDMI port, using a GTX280 (DVI-to-HDMI cable) to drive it. I love it, and I'm a graphic designer (i.e. picky picky picky). Works great for gaming and net surfing, etc. I'd never use it for design work, but everything else it's golden. Feels like a 'real' monitor to me.

I own the LG 32LG30 and love the display even at 1366x768 it is fine web browsing isn't the most pleasant thing ever but it doesn't really bother me. I own two LG's one in my bedroom as my TV/monitor and the 37LG30 in my living room as my main TV they have both been fantastic. I do plan to upgrade in the near future to a larger TV in the living room and it will be a LG i I get an LCD and a I'm between a LG and a Panasonic 50" plasma.

I currently use a Samsung LN32A650 with the "PC rename trick" on the second HDMI port, using a GTX280 (DVI-to-HDMI cable) to drive it. I love it, and I'm a graphic designer (i.e. picky picky picky). Works great for gaming and net surfing, etc. I'd never use it for design work, but everything else it's golden. Feels like a 'real' monitor to me.

Ditto, same here.

I picked up a Samsung LN32A650 from Crutchfield a few months ago for use as a PC monitor as well as XBOX360 and PS3.

Out of the box connected to the PC (which at the time used an EVGA GTX 280 FTW) I wasn’t all that impressed. After nosing around in the AVS forums I came across the “PC input edit” trick and was blown away with how good it looked turning off the TV’s image processing features.

Everything from text to just general image quality is great. I never thought I’d be able to surf the net on a 32” HDTV but its fine for that also.

After nosing around in the AVS forums I came across the “PC input edit” trick and was blown away with how good it looked turning off the TV’s image processing features.

More information, please? I run a 40" Toshiba as my primary display on the rig in my sig, and though I'm not terribly displeased with the set, if there's a way to improve it I'd really like to know. I did some quick searches and couldn't find anything related to PCs, more Xbox/PS input lag posts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

More information, please? I run a 40" Toshiba as my primary display on the rig in my sig, and though I'm not terribly displeased with the set, if there's a way to improve it I'd really like to know. I did some quick searches and couldn't find anything related to PCs, more Xbox/PS input lag posts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

The referred input trick is specific to the Samsung model line we both happen to have. I'm not sure Toshiba has anything like that (it's certainly possible!), but it's worth a search through the forums/net/etc. I'd look up the model # and see if anyone else has used it as a PC monitor and if they've discovered some way of optimizing it. If there's anything in the menu about bypassing the TV processing system and just allow straight pass-thru of the signal from the PC, that would probably help.

Thank you for the quick reply, I'm still doing some searches and digging, but it doesn't appear that many other folks used the Regza 40RF35OU as a PC monitor.

I'll keep digging online, then once I get to the house poke around some more in the Display Options.

I have a Panasonic TC-37LZ85, a 2008 1080p model. It doesnt have VGA which is a bummer but driving it via HDMI is simply awesome. IPS panel, nice colors, sharp text. I wish I had bought the TC-32LZ800 as a 37" isnt usable as a monitor IMO for work (good for gaming, picture edits etc). 32" might be better.

If I were to buy a 24+ inch monitor, I would not buy a 1080p tv ... would aim for a 30" monitor instead :)

Not an input "trick" on the Samsung. It's just PC mode. :)

(Admittedly, Samsung could do more to emphasize the feature...)

I have a 50 inch Pioneer Plasma (the LX5090 Kuro) and am using it as my computer display. It's awesome and I would not be able to go back to a 30 inch screen now at all.

Would highly recommend the use of a HDTV as a PC monitor. Most of the latest HDTV's are really good PC monitors as well, most have options to turn off overscan and all video processing for games etc. My last two PC monitors both have been Plasma's and can recommend one. Most people automatically think of using LCD TV's as monitors, but, plasma's can be used as well, and they do have less lag than LCD's.

mike_j_johnson said:
xxLH30 series from LG is supposedly the HDTV display to get for the PC right now.

At this point I've decided on either the LG xxlh30 or xxlh40 series. The lh30 series has about a frame less input lag after researching so I'm kinda leaning towards that series. Now however much I get for my current dual 24's will determine how big it will be. :) I was considering Samsung until I read that they have TERRIBLE input lag. And Sony has stupid HDMI placement. Stupid enough for me to not want to consider it.

Back