Trying to determine if it is worth keeping my RTX 4090 - Maybe I am stupid lol

My point is that reviewers ARE using that style of comparison. I was trying to point out how "distant" it becomes if you go back further. It makes the "value" of new even worse.
Depends. At 4k no older card makes sense for me because a 4080 or 4090 are literally the only cards that matter. The price to performance of only these 2 cards matter at their overinflated prices. Imo older cards (for gamers) only matter at lower resolutions or games that don't demand any big horsepower. For example all the bullshit tech yes city is talking about is a bunch of fluff to me. He glorifies cards that I would pay to get rid of making it seem like they are amazing value.

My point is that reviewers ARE using that style of comparison. I was trying to point out how "distant" it becomes if you go back further. It makes the "value" of new even worse.
Price/performance ratios matter when it comes to reviews. I won't argue that. However, no one shopping for an RTX 4090 gives a shit about anything but RTX 4080's and RTX 4090's. Those are literally the only two cards on the market that matter. It doesn't matter if XYZ older card gives you 50% of the performance for $200 or whatever. The fact of the matter is that people who buy those types of cards aren't concerned with price/price performance ratios or value as most people understand it. If you are looking for the performance offered by that class of card, lesser cards do not make your radar at all. They offer insufficient performance.

Price and performance are not, and never have been and probably never will be a linear thing. As you go up the product stack in almost any industry you end up paying a lot for slightly more performance or better fit and finish. A $3,000 1911 isn't much more accurate than a $2,100 1911 and the $4,000 1911 has an even smaller gap in improvement over the $3,000 than the $3,000 does over the $2,100 gun. Its the same with cars. A Corvette is cheaper than a Ferrari 488GTB and the latter isn't any faster than the former depending on model and trim.

Again, a $100 5700XT may be a good value, but if I'm aiming to play AAA titles at 4K with max settings, nothing except the highest performing models available today matter. Something that's incapable of doing what I want it to do has no value at all in that context.

I agree but most peeps do not realize vampire drain of daily income comes from innocuous sources like eating out and other non vital expenses.
That's what I'm saying...

1500 card that last you 5-8 years, people rather complain complain, food, insurance, etc, those are what really dents your wallet

1500 card that last you 5-8 years, people rather complain complain, food, insurance, etc, those are what really dents your wallet
The irony is that just about none of the people who buy the $1500 cards will ever keep it that long. They are the same crowd lining up to buy the next $1500 card in 3 years.

Wait but don't worry I regularly complain 🎻 about all the other daily, weekly, monthly, yearly expenses that are overpriced also lol 😂 but also don't worry because It's kept out of the Hardforum lol

I like it but not amazed by it. Maybe I am expecting too much idk.

Upgraded from a EVGA GTX 2060 super so yeah it should be a huge difference. It is but maybe it is because of my lower resolution ? 3440x1440

What do you all think ?

I can keep it but I wish there was a way to compare them side by side somehow. In person.
I guess you could send me your card? I'll help you out by taking that crap card off your hands.
What CPU and RAM r u running?
4090 is the best thing since sliced bread.
I came from a EK blocked 3080Ti on water and I'm still blown away.
I under clocked it to 65% max power and it still shreds through almost all of my games at 144hz @4k resolution. (Not cyberpunk lol)
After having a 4090 It's actually mind boggling how you don't absolutely love this beast of a card.
It's simply the best.
Nah, it's a crap card.... I am willing to take it though....as a favour....no one should have to deal with a crappy card so I'm willing to make that sacrifice.

Wait but don't worry I regularly complain 🎻 about all the other daily, weekly, monthly, yearly expenses that are overpriced also lol 😂 but also don't worry because It's kept out of the Hardforum lol
my utility bill is almost a 4080 every month during winter... so 4080 is not that expensive now... lol

Reactions: spine
like this
The RTX 4090 will be still good in 5 years and ok in 10 years, for gaming. If you already own it, it's good investment.
Professionally speaking, today, 4090 is great for CUDA, Optics and AI. Best for mining, best for anything in parallel computing and supported everywhere because of CUDA, and best for 3D rendering 5optics and RT cores), best for analysis and stock speculations and anything related to AI (tensor cores). If you own 2 of them on motherboards with 2 PCie 16 slots or 4 of them on a workstation, you've got what's the best on market after big servers for cloud systems. This is not going to be deprecated when RTX 5090 comes out next year. It will be as good as the 3090Ti is today, which is very.

Back