Trying to get ssh to connect, comcast problem?

jmanlp

Limp Gawd
Does anyone know if comcast allows ssh servers? I have my ssh server all configured and I can connect to it just fine when I put in the local addres. Then after I set the port 22 to forward to that address and I put in my WAN address I cannot connect. Any help would be appreciated.

You can't connect to your own WAN address from...well, your own WAN address.
rolleyes.gif

And you should probably tell sshd to run on something other than 22. I have Comcast and am running sshd just fine on another port. You could use a proxy or something to port scan yourself I guess.

Uh, it doesn't work. I run an Apache off my home comp, which works perfectly for the entire world, but I can only access it by doing localhost:port, myip:port does not resolve/work properly.

[H]exx said:
What are you talking about you cant connect from your own wan? I do it at my place all the time...using NAT and all. This has nothing to do with the connection issue.

Depends on the router. Some routers freak out and dont know what to do with internally-originating traffic destined for itself. Others are smart enough to just apply any port forwarding rules and send it back to the LAN side. It all depends n the equipment; I've seen it work both ways.

As for SSH, I run SSH on Comcast on the default port; no problems here.

Thanks for all the replies guys, Im gonna try and connect from work today. I really hope I can get this figured out, this is my first time doing any kind of internet server and while it is really fun to try and figure out, I am finally starting to get frustrated from trying everything. Maybe it will work from off my network like was sugested I have a Linksys WRT54GS. If you have any other suggestions please let me know, I will try anything. Thanks again.

Success! I tried it from work and could connect just fine. I guess on my home network I cant connect to the same IP although thats what I do at work. Thanks.

Its the port forwarding, the redirection is associated with the interface, a packet coming in on the internal interface, even to the outside IP, will get routed internally and the redirection isn't consulted or applied.

Back