Trying to increase the longevity of my 939 system

Harb

Limp Gawd
So I'm running a pretty old 939 system right now, and it's in pretty shoddy shape.

My chip is anAMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 2.0GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual-Core Processor running at completely stock speeds. It's using the stock heatsink with a random 80mm case fan I found laying around zip-tied to it. This is because I was fumbling around blindly in my case trying to find a cable, stuck my finger in the CPU fan accidentally, and broke a fin off of it.

My memory is a grab-bag of whatever I happened to have laying around. Looking through my old Newegg purchases, I think I've got CORSAIR ValueSelect 512MB (2 x 256MB) DDR400 and 2 sticks of some unknown 256mb DDR2. I don't even bother trying to overclock my system due to this mystery memory.

My motherboard is a BIOSTAR TForce4U 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard
This seems to be the least pathetic part of the system. At least it has PCIe x16, right?

I was wanting to build a completely new, fairly high-end Intel system in a few months, but decided that would rather save my money for other things and try to stretch my current system out for another year or so.

I'd like to get a new processor and a new kit of memory that would give me the most out of the 939 platform. After some quick poking around, it seems that the FX-60 is the absolute best that the 939 platform has to offer, but the only chips I could find were on ebay for 250+$ with a few days to go on the auctions, which is WAY more than I want to spend on this project. The next best thing seems to be the Athlon 64 X2 4800+, but that is ALSO selling for 200+ on ebay.

So after seeing that it seems like everyone and their grandma is buying up all the top-end 939 dual core's, I really have no idea where to go with this project. Can anyone recommend anything to me? I'd LIKE to get a new CPU, but if I can get by with getting a good memory kit (4 gigs preferably) and a beefy CPU cooler and overclocking the crap out of what I've already got, I'm all for it. I'd like to do this for as cheap as possible; keeping the cost/benefit ratio as good as possible. I don't want to drop 200$ on a 3 year old processor :S

Just get some 2GB (1GBx2) Memory off of newegg and try and overclock your system. That would only cost you around 60$ and I bet you could probably hit at least 2.4Ghz overclock that way, it's not guaranteed but most 3800x2 where hitting between 2.4-2.7ghz at the time so I bet you would get a good overclock.

So I'm running a pretty old 939 system right now, and it's in pretty shoddy shape.

My chip is anAMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 2.0GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual-Core Processor running at completely stock speeds. It's using the stock heatsink with a random 80mm case fan I found laying around zip-tied to it. This is because I was fumbling around blindly in my case trying to find a cable, stuck my finger in the CPU fan accidentally, and broke a fin off of it.

My memory is a grab-bag of whatever I happened to have laying around. Looking through my old Newegg purchases, I think I've got CORSAIR ValueSelect 512MB (2 x 256MB) DDR400 and 2 sticks of some unknown 256mb DDR2. I don't even bother trying to overclock my system due to this mystery memory.

My motherboard is a BIOSTAR TForce4U 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard
This seems to be the least pathetic part of the system. At least it has PCIe x16, right?

I was wanting to build a completely new, fairly high-end Intel system in a few months, but decided that would rather save my money for other things and try to stretch my current system out for another year or so.

I'd like to get a new processor and a new kit of memory that would give me the most out of the 939 platform. After some quick poking around, it seems that the FX-60 is the absolute best that the 939 platform has to offer, but the only chips I could find were on ebay for 250+$ with a few days to go on the auctions, which is WAY more than I want to spend on this project. The next best thing seems to be the Athlon 64 X2 4800+, but that is ALSO selling for 200+ on ebay.

So after seeing that it seems like everyone and their grandma is buying up all the top-end 939 dual core's, I really have no idea where to go with this project. Can anyone recommend anything to me? I'd LIKE to get a new CPU, but if I can get by with getting a good memory kit (4 gigs preferably) and a beefy CPU cooler and overclocking the crap out of what I've already got, I'm all for it. I'd like to do this for as cheap as possible; keeping the cost/benefit ratio as good as possible. I don't want to drop 200$ on a 3 year old processor :S

For less than $200 you can go to newegg get the AMD Brisbane 5000+ and a Gigabyte 780G mobo and 4GB of RAM.

My recommendation is too sell the mobo, CPU, and RAM and get something new from newegg.

Just set your memory to a speed lower than the slowest ram you have any raise the HT until it is back up to its stock speed.

Really if you want to stick 939 you have about the best CPU you're going to get without spending more than the cost of upgrading the entire rig. Just try and OC to get the last breath out of it. Or as suggested get a decent set of 2x1Gig ram and see if that gives you more flexibility in OCing.

For less than $200 you can go to newegg get the AMD Brisbane 5000+ and a Gigabyte 780G mobo and 4GB of RAM.

My recommendation is too sell the mobo, CPU, and RAM and get something new from newegg.

Wow, I didn't realize I could get that much of an upgrade for so little. I may just do that, thanks.

With 4Gb of ram yer looking at more like $300... just bought this setup...

Closer to $200 with 2Gb of ram, but still over $200...

HTH

Edit - I am a yutz - I picked up the 5400 BE, not a 5000... still over $200 with 4Gb of ram... but much closer to .$200. My Bad...

the E5200 should be out by the end of the month. Will be less than $100. Probably gonna be the most bang 4 the buck cpu (apart from the E2180)

Your system doesn't sound half as bad as you make it out to be. You can pick up a set of high performance 2x512 ddr500 or even ddr550 if you find them from the for sale thread for under $50. Add the cost of a good s939 heatsink for $30. You're looking at $80 give or take; that leaves you with $120 that you can put towards a good video card. With those upgrades, you should be able to get a better overclock from your processor and play games at reasonable settings.

Another option would be to sell your motherboard and processor. At least you'll be able to sell the x2 for $50, maybe more. And the motherboard for $50. That gives you an extra $100 on top of the $200 budget you've set. For 3 bills, you can get a nice C2D. DDR2 ram is so cheap. I wish I wasn't stuck on the s939 or I would be sitting at 4 gigs right now.

Depending on what you use your computer for, you can decide accordingly which options you want to take.

you dont need ddr500. a64 imc supports multipliers that will let you oc the htt and leave ram at stock.

Your system doesn't sound half as bad as you make it out to be. You can pick up a set of high performance 2x512 ddr500 or even ddr550 if you find them from the for sale thread for under $50. Add the cost of a good s939 heatsink for $30. You're looking at $80 give or take; that leaves you with $120 that you can put towards a good video card. With those upgrades, you should be able to get a better overclock from your processor and play games at reasonable settings.

Another option would be to sell your motherboard and processor. At least you'll be able to sell the x2 for $50, maybe more. And the motherboard for $50. That gives you an extra $100 on top of the $200 budget you've set. For 3 bills, you can get a nice C2D. DDR2 ram is so cheap. I wish I wasn't stuck on the s939 or I would be sitting at 4 gigs right now.

Depending on what you use your computer for, you can decide accordingly which options you want to take.

you dont need ddr500. a64 imc supports multipliers that will let you oc the htt and leave ram at stock.

If he was going to get DDR500 it would be a better idea just to upgrade to the AM2 platform and get DDR2. It is expensive to get DDR500.

This is because I was fumbling around blindly in my case trying to find a cable, stuck my finger in the CPU fan accidentally, and broke a fin off of it.

Ouch! I'll bet that hurt!

Amazingly, you can still buy an Opteron 180:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1649954&CatId=2040

Of course, you'd have to look real hard at the value of such a processor vs what you could buy in a modern socket.

I would just start overclocking and see what happens.

If he was going to get DDR500 it would be a better idea just to upgrade to the AM2 platform and get DDR2. It is expensive to get DDR500.

But if you take into consideration the price of upgrading to a new motherboard board, processor, a heatsink if the cpu didn't come with one, and buying new ram vs just buying some good DDR memory, it's cheaper to get some good ddr memory.

But if you take into consideration the price of upgrading to a new motherboard board, processor, a heatsink if the cpu didn't come with one, and buying new ram vs just buying some good DDR memory, it's cheaper to get some good ddr memory.
What the hell are you smoking?

He can get decent components for a little under $200 at the egg. A new mobo and CPU combo costs $131, and $40 DDR2 2GB memory.

What the hell are you smoking?

He can get decent components for a little under $200 at the egg. A new mobo and CPU combo costs $131, and $40 DDR2 2GB memory.

Spend $200 for a new setup, or spend < $50 for ram? Would buying all that give him noticeable performance over adding some good memory to his setup?

Spend $200 for a new setup, or spend < $50 for ram? Would buying all that give him noticeable performance over adding some good memory to his setup?

He would likely upgrade to 2gbs of ram now downgrade to 1 gb of faster ram than his current 4 sticks, which at that point would be $100. Simply not worth it.

He would likely upgrade to 2gbs of ram now downgrade to 1 gb of faster ram than his current 4 sticks, which at that point would be $100. Simply not worth it.

Wouldn't necessarily call it a downgrade. He's running 4 x 256 stick of memory. 2 sticks are Corsair Value ram, and 2 are unknown. He can sell those and recoup the money from buying a good set of 2 x 512 memory. Windows will run fine with 1 gig of memory; depending on what he uses it for. I didn't take into account if he wanted to upgrade to 2 gigs.

Just get some 2GB (1GBx2) Memory off of newegg and try and overclock your system. That would only cost you around 60$ and I bet you could probably hit at least 2.4Ghz overclock that way, it's not guaranteed but most 3800x2 where hitting between 2.4-2.7ghz at the time so I bet you would get a good overclock.

This is probably the best suggestion in this thread. 4GB would be nice but I don't think its worth it to invest that much into your setup. If you sell of your current memory, it will be a pretty cheap upgrade. Try overclocking with your current hsf or maybe buy a cheap aftermarket cooler

my set up is slightly better. socket 939 x2 4600. 2gb ram. the only saving grace is the 9800gtx. this should keep me until im ready for quad core, another 9800gtx for sli. the video was the route i took for my upgrade path. its something i can use today while still respectable in the future. i upgrade in small increments. a SATA HD, then a video card, etc., so that i won't have to make a big purchase later.

If the OP is interested in a 2gb kit (2x1 gb) Newegg has this OCZ kit for $53.99 after rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...227210&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-20-227-210-_-Product
And the old tried and true Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro is always a good hsf for the money ($25.99)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125
4 gb of ram is overkill unless using Vista as XP only recognizes a little over 3 gb. The 2 gb kit listed above should be plenty sufficient. I also agree that to get more from the system the OP should try oc'ing it. I didn't see a video card listed in the OP's post but perhaps a newer unit might be in order for better gaming performance. The only problem is a new, more powerful video card, ram and an hsf could be pushing the envelope in terms of cost. With prices so low on the newer offerings it might be time to go on ahead and upgrade.

I have to agree his 3800 had one of the best reputations for overclocking, no problem getting to 2.7.

Back