Trying to unlock 4th core, no results.

GN85

Limp Gawd
I'm trying to unlock the 4th core of an X3 720 on my GA-MA790X-UD4P, but I'm getting nowhere. I tried messing with ACC, but I'm getting no results, meaning my computer won't even fail to post, it'll just reboot and detect my CPU as an X3.

Any suggestions?

I'm trying to unlock the 4th core of an X3 720 on my GA-MA790X-UD4P, but I'm getting nowhere. I tried messing with ACC, but I'm getting no results, meaning my computer won't even fail to post, it'll just reboot and detect my CPU as an X3.

Any suggestions?

same thing is happening to me with this new 720. i have an m3a79-t deluxe. my first 720 would turn into a quad when acc was enabled (completely unstable). this new 720 does nothing with acc enabled. i posted over at xs with no replies. must just be the chip?

Any suggestions?

I bought this same board and chip and was going to try to unlock mine and from what I have gathered only the F2 bios will unlock the 4th core. Thats assuming the 4th core trick still works on the 720.

I bought this same board and chip and was going to try to unlock mine and from what I have gathered only the F2 bios will unlock the 4th core. Thats assuming the 4th core trick still works on the 720.

I tried F2, and my comp didn't boot. Problem solved, thanks! :D

I'd bank that the 4th core doesn't work, or your BIOS isn't allowing it. Remember, AMD put out word to the mobo manufacturers that they needed to update the BIOS to 'disallow' the core unlock. I would suspect older BIOS's to be the only ones able to do the unlock.

Yeah, my computer doesn't post, so most probably my 4th core is defective. I'm pretty sure the bios won't just say "oh you enabled this setting, I'll make the computer unbootable". That would be dumb lol. I don't mind much, I was just curious to see if I could unlock it, which I can't.

PII X3 720 BEs.....going X4 is a crap shoot that is available when you have the RIGHT mobo, with the RIGHT bios, a GOOD 720, and a ton of LUCK.

The formula is RIGHT > GOOD + LUCK x 10 = Success / Maybe......:rolleyes:

PII X3 720 BEs.....going X4 is a crap shoot that is available when you have the RIGHT mobo, with the RIGHT bios, a GOOD 720, and a ton of LUCK.

I don't know how you managed to mix an Inequation with an Equation but that sounds as difficult as the expected result.

I've got a Biostar TA790GX-XE, that will let me unlock it but it's just so unstable and wonky, I didn't even bother. Running at 3.5 on stock volts, I don't really miss that 4th core too much just yet anyway :)

It seems the early CPUs were the ones with higher success rate then.
Bummer for new users but it makes sense as it wouldnt help 955 sales.

Every time I have suggested a P2 X3, it was always with the note "and as a bonus, there is a tiny chance the fourth core will unlock with a 790*/SB750 that can do it".
Its like it comes with a lotto ticket for a free X4 945

I also had no luck with unlocking my P2 x3 720's 4th core. After setting ACC to All Cores, my system wouldn't post or even show anything on the screen.

Also, somehow my raid array broke after I reset the ACC back to normal and I had to reinstall windows.

I also had no luck with unlocking my P2 x3 720's 4th core. After setting ACC to All Cores, my system wouldn't post or even show anything on the screen.

Also, somehow my raid array broke after I reset the ACC back to normal and I had to reinstall windows.

Aren't you supposed to set ACC to AUTO?

My motherboard gives the options for EC Firmware Selection (Normal or Hybrid) and the ACC has (disabled, Auto, All Cores, Per Core).

Is Auto what everyone has been setting theirs to in order to get it to work? What do I want to select for the EC Firmware Option? From what I have read, Hybrid is what you need to set it to in order to unlock the 4th core, but setting it to Hybrid/All Cores caused my system to not boot. Would Hybrid/Auto really be any different?

I don't like what that review says "sets processor thermal diodes out of service, just like in case with unlocking the third core in triple-core processors."

So I won't be able to monitor my CPU temp if it works?

No dice. I set it to Hybrid and Auto and my system powers down. Then it powers back on and the fans start spinning, the screen stays black, and then after about 5 seconds, it turns itself off. I tried to restart it a couple times and it would do the same thing over and over.

I cleared the CMOS, went back in and it showed EC Firmware set to Normal and ACC was Disabled. When I loaded fail-safe defaults and saved, it said it was updating the EC Firmware again, then it powered off, and rebooted. Now I'm back to normal.

Was there something I missed or did I just get unlucky? My CPU was an CACZC 0910 batch and I'm running it on a Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P.

I also unplugged all my hard drives before making the change, just in case, and my raid array survived :)

Last edited:
motherboard_productimage_ga-ma790x-.jpg

Version 1.0 is actually a new revision. F5A is the Bios to run .

http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=3031

F2b and F3a are bugged and F4 is the Offiacial with some options missing F5A is the Best ATM.

F5A has one small bug with the NBvid locked @ 1.2volts in Hybrid Mode ,,which will be fixed soon. It wont Hinder the overclock on CPU except for Lower NB @ 3600+ whle using 4xcores on a 720BE.

Unlocks using HYBRID Mode ACC Auto .. I can even run ACC +2 and Higher Setting s unlocked as well.

Have fun,

same thing is happening to me with this new 720. i have an m3a79-t deluxe. my first 720 would turn into a quad when acc was enabled (completely unstable). this new 720 does nothing with acc enabled. i posted over at xs with no replies. must just be the chip?

M3A79-T needs the 0030Mod Bios or it wont work and wont be stable..

Asus is also working on this new Feature so you can switch ACC firmware .

M3A79-T should be getting a Bios down the Road with it,, if i remeber correct. . They already have it impelmented on many M4 mobos now with new Bios releases.

I don't think the ASUS M3 boards are any good since ASUS did a slipshod bios especially around the cpu volts. That could be a factor when it comes to unlocking the 4th core.

you have a bad 4th core; hence why its a tri core ;)

This, for the love of god, this!

Also, they laser cut the 4th core, so it can't be "reactivated" or "unlocked" through bios or software. Laser cutting is a physical modification made to failed quad-cores that aren't stable as quads.

Last edited:
obviously they aren't laser-cutting the 4th core or their wouldn't be any unlockable chips.

obviously they aren't laser-cutting the 4th core or their wouldn't be any unlockable chips.

As I stated before........

While this is a fun exercise I think if you can't get it to boot then screw it and work on getting the most out of the 3 good cores! Been following this around the net and even when people have been able to unlock the 4th successfully only 10% or less have been able to do anything "meaningful" with it.

Then again why do we "play" anyway........"just because" right?!?!? :rolleyes: :D

Back