Trying to...

CBlakeNS

Gawd
Im trying to reformat windows xp pro, and im at the command prompt, and when I do format c: it says you will loose info etc and I do yes... then it says

"Format cannot run because the voulme is inuse by another process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted first. All opened handles to this volume then would be invalid. Would you like to force run a dismount on this volume, yes or no.... and I do yes and it still doesnt work.

What should I do?

Update:

Says "Cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use. <---Thats what it says when I try to dismount the system...

What can I do?

are you booting from the cd, or putting it in when you are in windows then trying to reformat? it sounds like you are doing the latter.. try booting from the cd.. i reformated 40+ computers by booting from an xp cd and never saw that error that i can recall...

yeah.. command prompt? you don' tneed to do that...

boot from cd..
when it asks where to install it.. delete the c: drive partiton.. then create a new one.. ntfs quick format should do fine.. then install xp on the newly created and formatted partition...

scottatwittenberg said:
are you booting from the cd, or putting it in when you are in windows then trying to reformat? it sounds like you are doing the latter.. try booting from the cd.. i reformated 40+ computers by booting from an xp cd and never saw that error that i can recall...

yeah.. command prompt? you don' tneed to do that...

boot from cd..
when it asks where to install it.. delete the c: drive partiton.. then create a new one.. ntfs quick format should do fine.. then install xp on the newly created and formatted partition...

Okay thanks man, the problem was I was probably trying to do it like windows 98.

Im trying it from the cd now...

Unless you need to specifically splice up partitions, just pop in your Windows XP CD and let it install from there, it will automatically format and partition for you on your main drive. (Again, assuming you haven't split up your hard drive with multiple partitions)

valkyre said:
Unless you need to specifically splice up partitions, just pop in your Windows XP CD and let it install from there, it will automatically format and partition for you on your main drive. (Again, assuming you haven't split up your hard drive with multiple partitions)

I havent but when I install a fresh copy not to long ago it still has alot of the old files I dont want.....

So im just gonna delete it right from the cd and create a new NFTS partion... there is also a fat partion <--do I need that?

I hope everything goes well.

Back