TT Golden Orb II: Zalman 7700 ripoff!

_Korruption_

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/cl-p0220goldenorbii/cl-p0220.htm

Looks like the R&D team came up with another winner, with the Golden Orb II. From what I can see, they took the Zalman 7700 design (the trademark flower look), changed just a few things, and called it a whole-new product. TT marketers even stole Zalman's clever flash installation videos, complete with the same content.

Copper base, but an all-aluminum body. Zalman offers a section of copper fins in their AlCu models, where the most heat would be produced. TT's decision to go with all-aluminum fins should negatively impact it in real-world performance... and there is significantly less surface area going around due to the fins being so thick. The 17dBA rating is back, and the weight of the heatsink is through the roof at 752g (!), considering the all-aluminum construction. Zalman's 7700AlCu weighs in at approximately 600g.

What TT does have going for it is market-share. Rest-assured, we'll see this "new" product pretty much everywhere, especially in mom&pop computer shops.

HAHAHAH!!!!!! lol....

anyways.. just be glad they didn't toss out a cnps9500 like the one zalman is coming out with :)

If they did the moment you put it on your motherboard it would rip right through from the weight....

Thermaltake-your-idea
Have been ripping off everyone for years!
From Cases, to Case Fans, to HSF...
Everything TT makes is a ripoff.

Now I know that you can only improve on an Idea so far and that everything in the world is just a rip of someone else original Idea. But TT takes it so much further; they don't have anything that is original!
Their whole company is based on taking ideas, making they flashy and less effective and selling it as their own Idea!

TT may make some good products but I hate them for all the rest of the bullshit they pull.

TT free since 2003!

Because it's [H]arder to bash TT, apparently.

To each his own. If you have a TT fan/case/psu/whatever and it works well for you, then more power to you. Don't listen to the rich kids with Lian-Lis.

For the record, I have two TT blue LED fans, and they work fine.

BTW, I think AMD is a huge ripoff of Intel. I mean, Intel was on the scene first with x86 processors right? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but whichever way it falls one is a big ripoff of the other.

And I'm in the process of ordering an AMD rig.

on my desk right now I have a nicely modded Thermaltake case to my right and a nice Lian Li to my left :confused: Im so confused

Really? Having such divinely inspired fasioned aluminum next to such a rustbucket would be enough to rip a hole in the fabric of space-time.

I call BS. I want pics.

fair enough, pics will come later tonight when my dad gets home with a camera.

but I warn you, the Lian Li is empty, fresh from having the inside powdercoated and the hardware is being ordered soon

Majin said:
Thermaltake-your-idea
Have been ripping off everyone for years!
From Cases, to Case Fans, to HSF...
Everything TT makes is a ripoff.

Now I know that you can only improve on an Idea so far and that everything in the world is just a rip of someone else original Idea. But TT takes it so much further; they don't have anything that is original!
Their whole company is based on taking ideas, making they flashy and less effective and selling it as their own Idea!
you're forgetting one key detail: thermaltake usually sells their konckoffs for cheaper than the original.

Because those are actually Zalman heatsinks with a SilenX sticker on them.

so if Thermaltake had just taken the exact same design and slapped a Thermaltake sticker on it that would have been better?

LstOfTheBrunnenG said:

To each his own. If you have a TT fan/case/psu/whatever and it works well for you, then more power to you. Don't listen to the rich kids with Lian-Lis.

For the record, I have two TT blue LED fans, and they work fine.
and, also for the record, Tt was fudging their noise level numbers pretty ridiculously for a long time. their current lineup has some quite legitimately quiet products, however i still remember the days when an 80mm fan that Tt rated at 22 dB was louder than an 80mm fan the panasonic rated at 35 dB.

DaMiEn said:
so if Thermaltake had just taken the exact same design and slapped a Thermaltake sticker on it that would have been better?
silenx is BUYING those heatsinks from zalman in bulk. they are not making cheap knockoffs.

ok, well that clears a lot up.

Anyway I promised pics so...

Thermaltakeresize.jpg

Overviewresize.jpg

LianLiresize.jpg

Angleresize.jpg

Proof that this will infact NOT cause a rip in the fabric of space-time. although I have found that I sit further over to the left of my desk now

Just another example of chaos theory, the universe is going to crap and we cant stop it. :rolleyes:

That looks like the same damn thing that we have on all out HP Vectras at work ( minus the gold paint) . :p

LstOfTheBrunnenG said:
Because the SilenX is actually a Zalman, but that was already mentioned. The performance is there due to that fact. Completely rip-off a product (including the flash installation videos!), sell it for just slightly less, and have it offer terrible performance. That's the TT tradition! The Golden Orb was actually a rip-off -- of the Agilent Orb coolers, that came out of old HP servers. They looked "prettier", but didn't cool well and produced a lot of noise. They're still at it today...

More reviews are popping up online, and they're not very favourable (and that's an understatement! 55C A64 load temps!)
I have removed the Intel Pentium 4 LGA775 results as even at 2.8GHz the Pentium 4 560 and 660 processors idled at well over 50 degrees which I find unacceptable. The Athlon64 results are within reason but even for a low-volume product, they are not what I would call impressive.
http://www.legionhardware.com/html/doc.php?id=435

ACTUALLY.... these arent knockoffs, I remember the Golden Orb from WAYYYYYYYY back in the day which had the same ORB design. The Golden Orb back then dominated the HSF market. Im talking back then to when the first Athlons were introduced.

I guess they decided to bring them back

Hope some of you old timers can back me up on this.

As I said earlier...

_Korruption_ said:
The Golden Orb was actually a rip-off -- of the Agilent Orb coolers (also known as the Panaflo orbs), that came out of old HP servers. They looked "prettier", but didn't cool as well and produced a lot of noise. They're still at it today...

Someone from the past can maybe back me up on this instead. ;)

2000 Manufactures the world's first turbine cooler Golden Orb for INTEL PENTIUM III, and sells two millions units worldwide.

normal_DSC01555.JPG

That's because the Coolermaster Vortex looks pretty simple. If anything, it reminds me of the stock thermal solution you get with the new LGA775 processors. Zalman's flower is a trademark design, everybody knows the flower is from Zalman.

Be honest guys... there isn't really much that is original today. Most everything in production is based on another product or another idea that has already been done, with the intent to improve upon that product. Given, this isn't an improvement, but you could claim that anything is a ripoff because mostly everything is spawned from something else.

I was just checking out Zalmans web site, and unless they haven't updated it in years, all they have is Patant Applications, none that are listed as approved. That may just be why everyone and their brother are making the same style of HSF............... :cool:

1. Korean Patent Application No. 01-11056
2. Patent pending in over 20 nations around the world, including USA, EU, and Japan

That's just what it says on the page for their first Orb style cooler. I have no real idea if any have been approved or not as air coolers don't really interest me, but patants and who really owns them and who has the license to use the disign, has and will always be a huge secret, ................... ;)

_Korruption_ said:
That's because the Coolermaster Vortex looks pretty simple. If anything, it reminds me of the stock thermal solution you get with the new LGA775 processors. Zalman's flower is a trademark design, everybody knows the flower is from Zalman.

I have to laugh, but if you want to talk “rip-off” go look at a STOCK Intel HSF, then go back and look at the Zalman, thermaltake etc.

Intel did the design first folk. Did a lot of companies improve the design? Sure, but the concept was all Intel’s much as I hate to admit it.

The Orbs are older then dirt. They do go wayyyyyyyyyyy back “to the day”. Again, another product where everyone “borrowed” the idea.

Another thought, ThermalTake is big, could it be they actually purchased a liciencing agreement from Zalman? Since everyone is claiming the same software etc it’s unlikely the outright stole the idea.

On a side note my XP-90 with a Thermaltake Cat-90 fan killed my Zalman by a good 4c under load. As for materials, the copper version of the XP-90 buys you almost nothing except more weight.

Just some thoughts.

im sorry... this TT bashing is some cheap shit...

your bashing them, because they take a product, CHANGE THE WAY IT WORKS COMPLETELY

and then sell it as there own, FOR LESS with comparable performance?

you guys who do this are pretty sad, dont care who it is...

and for people saying the DB ratings are shrunk... my 21db TT fan is inaudible at 2 feet from my ear at 12v...

and im loving the shark posted above :p

and wheres the proof that those silenX's are zalmans? look like crimped copper to me <_< im sure its not that hard...

and anyone who says they stole the flash is just pathetic, they CLEARLY made a new one.... <_<

[edit]
image0166fo.jpg

OH LOOK! THE ZALMAN PERFORMS ABOUT THE SAME! :O

Thermaltake has, once again, taken a proven product, made a few alterations, and is selling it cheaper than the original. They don't have quite the same levels of quality (usually), but for users that don't need super high quality stuff, thermaltake is a decent enough solution. I've had my thermaltake case for quite a while now, and really like it. Is it as high quality as, say, a Lian-li? No, but it was a buttload cheaper too. Thermaltake has the manufacturing capability to mass produce items for a low cost, which drives smaller, more innovative companies to produce new and improved products, which means that the high end consumer has better and better product delivered to the market. That seems, at least to me, to be a very good thing.

Yea, but everyone know that Zalman's suck at cooling too... Not suck, but nowhere near the top at least.

It seems that TT has ripped the design then toned back the fan cfm and dBA for less cooling. They also added a lot more copper to the base, that's why it's a lot heavier than just about anything but a XP-90c.

Btw, TT is notorious for underreporting the dBA of their fans.

whats dev's hardware? zalman is tried and true, people have used it and been happy, thermaltake-your-idea has a reputation for crappy hsf's, except for their new expensive stuff, which is doing alright, like the silent tower. everything else they make, crap. their fans are usually underrated for noise, and run louder then it says.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
whats dev's hardware? zalman is tried and true, people have used it and been happy, thermaltake-your-idea has a reputation for crappy hsf's, except for their new expensive stuff, which is doing alright, like the silent tower. everything else they make, crap. their fans are usually underrated for noise, and run louder then it says.

tell that to my silent boost K8... it keeps my winnie at a happy 30-31 degrees idle when my ambient is a total of 28 degrees celcius at 1.6V at 2.6ghz... (3000+)

Yea Zalman makes people happy. But it just doesn't compare to a XP-90 and a good fan. That's all I'm saying. Zalman is also somewhat expensive imho. Dollar for dollar I'd rather spend my money on Thermalright than Zalman, but I'd spend it anywhere rather than TT (at least, on the cheap stuff like their cooling options). A few of their cases aren't bad.

I dumped my TRSI-97 and YL combo in favor of TT Silent Tower and a 5v modded 120mm YL. I am loving it.

It is majorly huge, but it works great.

And like someone said...in this age of sue anyone for any reason, don't you think TT would have at least one suit filed against it?

Back