Tuner Video Quality

l3ender

Supreme [H]ardness
Not too long ago, I got a Hauppauge 1600, but I wasn't really able to play much with it until recently. I'm surprised at the quality of the video...and not in a good way. It definitely doesn't look as good as it does on my TV. And I'm not talking about resolution. It's got a fuzzy-ish aspect to the picture with some lines on it. Here's a video I just captured demonstrating such.

It's not the cable, because I tried that on my TV. I've tried reconnecting the cable, but nothing. I would have guessed it would look just like it does if viewed on a TV. Does it always look this bad? If so, why?

i know thier cards are very dependant on what drivers you are using. so try different drivers. i am using an hvr 1800 and it has great quality. hope this helps

Assuming you're using Vista's media center for the recording?

Does that require selection of a codec for MPEG2-playback?

Yes, using Vista Media Center. Selection of codec? I haven't messed with any such thing. Is there a way to tweak it? And I'm using latest drivers for the card.

Is there a way to get just the PowerDVD codec? All I can seem to find is the whole application.

I installed PowerDVD, but I run that little app (vmcd.exe) that allows you to change the codec and nothing is found other than the default Microsoft one. Any reasons why?

Bleh. Vista x64 apparently doesn't play nice with Media Center. Anyone got anything?

that doesnt look right. strange in fact. if you are CERTAIN the cable is good (it actually does appear to be ok) then i would have to say RMA the card if you can. it doesn't look like a driver issue... more like a grounding issue.

I'm not about to install a codec pack when ffdshow plays everything I throw at it. And if you'd read the thread you'd know that this doesn't really apply to my problem. I can't set the decoder in media center.

I'm not about to install a codec pack when ffdshow plays everything I throw at it. And if you'd read the thread you'd know that this doesn't really apply to my problem. I can't set the decoder in media center.

It's because you're using Vista 64, hell, thats probably the cause of the video issue too. V64 has too many issues to be used as an HTPC OS.

It's because you're using Vista 64, hell, thats probably the cause of the video issue too. V64 has too many issues to be used as an HTPC OS.

I know. :( I've come to realize that. The thing is, it's my main PC which I just added a card to.

I guess I'll live with what I have for now. Hopefully before too long I can get my hands on an older PC, fix it up, and make it a dedicated HTPC.

Hate to bump this thread but I figured I might as well do that than make a new one.

Anyway, I finally got my HTPC (in sig) and the same issue is occurring. I have an antenna that can pick up HD signal and those channels look crystal clear but the ones from cable are still fuzzy...which would mean that it's not the codec being used, correct?

Is there any reason why this would be happening? What can I do to fix it?

Sorry to hear about your troubles. i have an 1800 and had similar problems with it. after searching around, i realized that Hauppauge makes a great piece of hardware, but shit software. i uninstalled everything from hauppauge and just let vista discover it and use its own drivers and vmc as viewing program. picture looked as good as it did whenit went form the cable box to tv. i do not know if this applies to your problem, but i hope it helps.

I was hopeful that it wasn't a x64 issue. Maybe you have a bad tuner card?

I returned my 1600 b.c of that very problem and bought a MSI 650. I didn't even think it could be a codec related problem... hmmm...

Back