Turbo Tax Deluxe - Fed & State e-File - $39.95

Turbotax also provides free filing under certain circumstances:

http://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom/

Should also note that taxact basic or whatever is free for federal e-filing for everyone (although you can pay for a version that has more help available...) not just those who meet the income requirements. They, like everyone else, charge for state filing though.

Personally I may go with turbotax this year, but that's because I get to file lots of forms I've never filed before and I've heard they have a better walkthrough on some of it than the alternatives. Used taxact last year and it handled things just fine though.

You forgot to add the mail in rebate from the government you might receive. <grin>

Thanks for the post OP I was looking for it.

Give TaxSlayer a shot. I think it's only like $15.00 and free for military and students under a certain age (or it used to atleast)

I've been using them for the past 5-6 years and have no complaints. Great service for the price.

do these tax software apps have a way to xfer in data if u filed online with hr block?

Should also note that taxact basic or whatever is free for federal e-filing for everyone (although you can pay for a version that has more help available...) not just those who meet the income requirements. They, like everyone else, charge for state filing though.

Personally I may go with turbotax this year, but that's because I get to file lots of forms I've never filed before and I've heard they have a better walkthrough on some of it than the alternatives. Used taxact last year and it handled things just fine though.

If you qualify for tax freedom state e-file is also free for a handful of states.

AL, AR, AZ, GA, IA, ID, IN, KY, MI, MN, MO, MS, NY, NC, ND, OK, OR, RI,
SC, VA, VT, WV.

Didn't TurboTax used to give you the federal version for free?

That said I like using Turbo Tax, it uses last years filings to fill in any info, and also if I have any tax credits that carry over.

I just logged in to turbotax website and the deluxe edition is 29.99 from them.. am I missing something?

That said I like using Turbo Tax, it uses last years filings to fill in any info, and also if I have any tax credits that carry over.

The simplified version, federal is free. This is deluxe. State is extra, $30~ or so I believe.

The federal taxes are free, but only if you can file the 1040EZ (very simple tax return.. no itemizing, etc). H&R Block is advertising the same thing this year.

Course EVERYONE is eligible for free federal returns this year, if you meet certain requirements:

http://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/jsp/index.jsp?ck

All things considered, IMO if you own a home or have any oddball deductions, many times you're better off paying for the more in-depth product.

I kind of want to do it myself with Turbo Tax just to get it done. On the other hand, I've got a bunch (ok, only about 5 or 6) of 1099s on the way, and I really don't want to deal with it...

Is this compatible with the online version of Turbo Tax?

The federal taxes are free, but only if you can file the 1040EZ (very simple tax return.. no itemizing, etc). H&R Block is advertising the same thing this year.
See I thought it wasn't just the EZ version, I sure as hell didn't use the EZ version last year with all the credits I took, but then again I don't remember last years tax too much, trying to forget that :D

Course EVERYONE is eligible for free federal returns this year, if you meet certain requirements:

http://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/jsp/index.jsp?ck
See I don't fucking get that, why the hell should it cost money to e-File. If you go the paper route it costs you a few stamps (depending upon how thick your return is). Requires someone at the IRS to open it (yeah I'm sure there's someone who's job is to do JUST that), requires someone to place it in the appropriate category to be analyzed, and yeah even requires someone to manually check for certain flags to see if an audit is necessary. What does eFile cost? Computers that already exist and an internet connection which also probably already exists?

See I thought it wasn't just the EZ version, I sure as hell didn't use the EZ version last year with all the credits I took, but then again I don't remember last years tax too much, trying to forget that :D

See I don't fucking get that, why the hell should it cost money to e-File. If you go the paper route it costs you a few stamps (depending upon how thick your return is). Requires someone at the IRS to open it (yeah I'm sure there's someone who's job is to do JUST that), requires someone to place it in the appropriate category to be analyzed, and yeah even requires someone to manually check for certain flags to see if an audit is necessary. What does eFile cost? Computers that already exist and an internet connection which also probably already exists?
E-filing doesn't cost a lot of money, preventing e-file fraud costs a lot of money. Allowing everyone to e-file their returns, either themselves or through a 3rd party, without the current measures in place would allow for more tax fraud then their currently is.

If I get the download version, will it update on their website too? I've always just done it through the website and paid full price, but I like being able to log back in to download my returns if I have to.

does the download version include multiple e-files like the physical version? i think physical has like 5.

EDIT: nm, found it. it has 5

Last edited:
The free tax usa site i posted earlier lets u itemize your free fed return. I think it even pointed out some things that turbo tax didnt

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If I get the download version, will it update on their website too? I've always just done it through the website and paid full price, but I like being able to log back in to download my returns if I have to.

A few years ago the box version didn't link to online with box retail version.

I am a student that does stocks too. Do i need the extra state tax or can i just file 1040ez?

In for one. I was planning on purchasing this locally tomorrow, thanks OP.

I am a student that does stocks too. Do i need the extra state tax or can i just file 1040ez?

1040EZ is a federal form. If you buy and sell stocks you can't file on Form 1040EZ, you have to file on Form 1040. If you live in a state that has income taxes you will need to purchase the state product as well. If you buy and sell stocks you probably want to pay a professional to prepare your taxes. Turbo Tax and all the other home tax prep programs are garbage if you have anything beyond a very basic tax return. If you try out 3 programs from different vendors you are almost certain to get 3 different tax returns when done (and none will probably be correct). I started going to a professional about five years ago and with the time savings and knowing its correct it is well worth the cost.

1040EZ is a federal form. If you buy and sell stocks you can't file on Form 1040EZ, you have to file on Form 1040. If you live in a state that has income taxes you will need to purchase the state product as well. If you buy and sell stocks you probably want to pay a professional to prepare your taxes. Turbo Tax and all the other home tax prep programs are garbage if you have anything beyond a very basic tax return. If you try out 3 programs from different vendors you are almost certain to get 3 different tax returns when done (and none will probably be correct). I started going to a professional about five years ago and with the time savings and knowing its correct it is well worth the cost.

Agreed. I my ex had multiple rental properties, traded stocks, out of pocket medical expenses, charitable donations and much more. She had been going to H&R Block for years, I tried to convert her by giving TurboTax a shot... 5 days later I thought I had everything done, saw the amount of the return and chose not to file. She went to H&R block, they had her in and out in under an hour and after their fees she got almost $800 more back then what TurboTax calculated. If you're going to itemize, get a pro, if you're going for standard deduction, at home tax software is probably right for you.

Just wanted to throw in there, do not rule out an accountant. I never used one for alot of years because I thought they were expensive. But when I finally went and priced them out they were really close to turbotax. Now days turbotax looks like the bigger packages have come down in price though. But if you run a business, or have alot of investments, or need a ton of detuctions, you owe it to yourself to go price out some local accountants and see how much they will do it for. The thing is some accountants are a little pricier than others so you need to shop around a bit.

In my case I saved money on city taxes I had no clue about I do not think turbotax even does my city taxes. It is also nice to just throw most of the forms down to them and let them deal with it and ask you questions.

I've been using TaxSlayer for years. They offer a free federal return, and with a coupon, a 4.95 state return.

Is there something particularly special about TurboTax?

I never bothered with newegg's support before, but they gave me my 10 beans back in store credit. Which is good because I saw it on amazon for this price too shortly after order, and it was stupid of me to not know I could have done better than $50. I usually have restraint, unless I want a GPU!

Just did the HR block free one via website. Super easy and didn't pay a dime. Though not sure if that's cause for celebration...Would be kinda nice to NOT be able to use the free ones lol (higher income).

Turbo Tax Basic version was available for free last week. It's like Deluxe, but no free state and misses out on a few features.

Back