Turn off, screen savor, or put it in sleep?

Justinkoko

Gawd
To prolong the life of LCD, which method is best?

Right now, whenever I go afk (which happens rather frequently), I always turned off my display.

Wouldn't this frequent on-off pattern shorten the life of the backlighting?

I have the Windows power management scheme set to turn my screens off after 10 minutes of inactivity.
When I come back to my PC, I just press a key on the keyboard or move the mouse & presto!, the screens wake back up.

Works great.

Now if I'm going to be away from my house for some time, I'll usually just shut my PC down entirely.

I would expect the backlight to be the component most likely to fail.

Based on that, I would recommend using Windows power management to put the monitor into standby during periods of inactivity.

well, common sense would suggest off is better than anything else.

well i was thinking frequent turning on/off would be more detrimental than turning it on black.

say i turn it on/off 10 times a day...

should i leave it on or turn it off whenever i leave?

Get a friend near to you and try push him, her out of their standing position. You'll find that it's rather muscle consuming. However, when your friend got going it's easier to kip him going. When a car starts moving you have to press down deeper on the accelerator than when already moving. So, any object that has to be dislodged from a static position requires an initially high energy input.

Therefore, any electrical appliance requires a surge of electrons at start up. It's like a tide on the see shore. The tide constantly beats up the shore, it's a periodic motion, which finally breaks (see California's high coast). This surge is hard on components of all kind. Your electric bulb gets zapped if the philament is weak, because of this surge when you turn the switch on. When ther's an electrical surge and you don't have a power conditioner to pick up the surpluss of electrons, your computer may get zapped.

Your monitor gets that surge any time you turn it on. Its power supply has a current limiter which absorbs the surge, but at a price, that is, it weakens in time exposing the monitor to surges. Virtually everything in the monitor is vulnerable to surge: its back light, transistors, passive components, etc.

I tend to keep my monitor in sleeping mode. This is a mode that is supposed to shelter it from surges. I don't know how well this works. So far, my 15" monitor still works after better than 4 years keeping it in sleep mode. When the computer is off, the monitor is still in sleep mode by its own embedded software (blinking LCD light on).

Back