turning the ipod completely off

Shy 7th

n00b
I already tried reading the manual, searching this forum, the apple forum, and google and I still can't find the information I?m looking for. If anyone here can help, it would be much appreciated. If this has already been asked/over-asked, please don't flame, I tried the search and nothing came up.

Let me begin...
I have an Ipod mini. The firmware is completely updated.

What I have noticed is that there are 2 states of "off".
1. "standby." This is when I hold the 'play/pause' button for a couple seconds. I have noticed that the screen is still lit, though dim, and the Ipod is still on. The screen looks like it is off, but I can still see the pixels just barely lit, just not displaying anything. I have no problem achieving this state. Turning the Ipod on is instantaneous and takes me directly to the music.

2. "completly off." This is when I leave the Ipod in the standby mode for a day or two. I don?t know exactly how long it takes, but it's definitely too long for me to watch and time. The screen shuts off completely, the pixels are no longer lit and the Ipod is no longer on. Turning the Ipod on takes about 10-15 seconds and displays the apple splash screen while it 'boots up.'

What I want to know is how to get to the second state without having to let my Ipod sit in standby for a day. If this is impossible to do, simply call me a noob.

hm. don't you just hold the play/pause button for a few seconds and it turns off? That works for mine except it is a 2G one

ycchan said:
hm. don't you just hold the play/pause button for a few seconds and it turns off? That works for mine except it is a 2G one

yah, i can do that, but it only puts it into something like a sleep mode or a screensaver mode. i can still see the screen lit, just barely. the screen has power, which as i understand, uses batery power even if it is only a minute amount. what im looking for is a way to completely turn it off something equivelent to unplugging one's computer (as opposed to sleep/standby) so the batteries dont drain at all.

i was eavesdropping on some geneyusses the other day and i over heard the following-

"the only way to completely turn off an iPod is to drain the battery."

:-/

I know how to restart the iPod, but i have no idea how one would go about getting it to shut off other than letting it sit for a while. Just curious, but why do you want to do this? Just to save a little bit of batt. power?

You just hold down the Play/Pause button. That's considered off. :) There is no 'real' off.

DatHak512 said:
I know how to restart the iPod, but i have no idea how one would go about getting it to shut off other than letting it sit for a while. Just curious, but why do you want to do this? Just to save a little bit of batt. power?

it's really annoying that if you don't charge your iPod every couple days, when you go to use it, it's dead.

i'd like to be able to leave it off for a couple of days. would really help my camping excursions.

vinividivici said:
it's really annoying that if you don't charge your iPod every couple days, when you go to use it, it's dead.

i'd like to be able to leave it off for a couple of days. would really help my camping excursions.
Hmm, that dosen't sound quite normal to me. I have no idea if i'm remembering this right, but i think the iPods should go into 'deep sleep' and turn off 'completely' (but are still respnsive to the controls of course) after about 36 hours. (I think i may have read that in the manual, but i'm not sure.) If your iPod won't even wake up from this deeper sleep after a few days unless it's plugged in, i'd say you have a pretty major issue there.

But this still dosen't solve your problem. What does Apple Care have to say about this? Have you tried talking to them about getting a battery replaced? Is it still under warrenty?

go to the hidden folder in ur ipod under ROOT/iPod_Control/Device.

Then inside that folder should be 2 files. duplicate any of those 2 and rename it to "_short_deepsleep"
(without the quotes) (keep in the same folder)

then everytime ur ipod sits for like 5 minutes of inactivity it should boot up with the apple logo first.

this is considered the offest you can get without taking the battery out.

i got that from ipodhacks btw. i also take no sponsiblity expressed or implied, on the funtionality of this hack, or the posible repercussions by the results of said hack.

Back