Turning Web retailers into Tax Tattlers

HardOCP News

[H] News
Trying to collect taxes on internet sales might not be as easy as politicians would like. There are privacy issues, constitutional challenges, lawsuits, voter backlash and that’s before a single vote is cast on the issue. :eek:

An increasing number of politicians, concerned with shrinking budgets and eyeing continuing growth in e-commerce, want to force out-of-state retailers like Amazon.com, Overstock.com, and Blue Nile to tattle to tax collectors about how much in sales taxes their customers have avoided paying.

I really wouldnt have a big problem paying taxes on internet purchases if they would in turn drop taxes on groceries.

how about they drop the sales tax in their states to encourage more sales (and thus more taxable revenues on the companies) instead :)

I really wouldnt have a big problem paying taxes on internet purchases if they would in turn drop taxes on groceries.

I wouldn't mind paying taxes on internet purchases if I didn't have state income tax, federal income tax, sales tax, and a vehicle registration tax. :rolleyes:

I guess I mind.

I wouldn't mind paying taxes on internet purchases if I didn't have state income tax, federal income tax, sales tax, and a vehicle registration tax. :rolleyes:

I guess I mind.

Aye, your earned money gets taxes over and over and over again. It's bs to pay income taxes and then again pay taxes on stuff you buy with the remaining money. I hope this internet taxing proposition burns in hell.

Love how it is always the consumer that is the tax cheat, yet how many corporations go without paying taxes for years, and decades. Stop blaming the little people for all your shortfalls, and start going after your fat cat friends who have loopholes large enough to drive their big bonus through!

its hard for the government to go after those 'fat cat' tax cheats when those in the government are also the tax cheats.

Considering that income tax is a non apportioned tax that wasn't approved by congress, they are lucky anyone pays that at all. When you don't pay, they persuade you by taking your house. Oh, at times how I wish I had nothing to lose. I already pay taxes on my internet service. As far as I'm concerned, I've payed those taxes already.

Thankfully, I live in a state with no income tax. The sales tax around here is directly decided by the community. We pay 7.5% on the dollar to keep our police and fire dept. in bullets and water.:D Of course none of that money goes to the volunteer FD that actually would come to my home and put out a fire. So, I have to pay them 80$ a year separately.

Love how it is always the consumer that is the tax cheat, yet how many corporations go without paying taxes for years, and decades. Stop blaming the little people for all your shortfalls, and start going after your fat cat friends who have loopholes large enough to drive their big bonus through!

Actually corporations don't pay taxes, thier customers do. If you raise taxes on business, they have to raise thier prices (or maybe fire a worker) to pay the additional tax.

What do you think is going to happen with the new taxes on medical devices in the new obamacare plan.
The companies will have to raise prices to pay the tax... i.e. medical cost will go up even more....

That sucks to have to pay tax on groceries. Here in WA, we don't. We also don't pay state income tax. We pay Federal income tax and state sales tax on basically everything but groceries.

If they are gonna tax me, then TAX me dammit. Pass the laws requiring the retailers to collect and quit the bullshit. We all have way to much bullshit to deal with these days.

I don't need to be worried about this cluster-fark every April. Have the retailers collect it and be done with it.

IF you can get the laws passed.

Aye, your earned money gets taxes over and over and over again. It's bs to pay income taxes and then again pay taxes on stuff you buy with the remaining money. I hope this internet taxing proposition burns in hell.

Your Right, even more than you Realize..

Taxed Money has a Cycle;

You earn a wage; You pay income Taxes and other Taxes, the company you work for also pays taxes.

You Spend your money and pay sales tax, the money the company brings in pays workers who pay a portion of those profits as tax, as well as the company pays a portion again as tax.

By the time the Cycle completed 3,4,5,6 times (depending on the transactions), the entire dollar that was "earned" is now revenue for the government.

Basically, ALL money winds up in the hands of the government, the taxes only change the rate at which the cycle completes.

To think.. we went to war with Britain over a 3c per pound tax on tea to pay for the French-Indian war..

(And.. Trivia for the day.. there were virtually NO federal income taxes in the US (with some exceptions during war) until 1916..) http://www.ustreas.gov/education/fact-sheets/taxes/ustax.shtml

If they are gonna tax me, then TAX me dammit. Pass the laws requiring the retailers to collect and quit the bullshit. We all have way to much bullshit to deal with these days.

I don't need to be worried about this cluster-fark every April. Have the retailers collect it and be done with it.

Should they just cut to the chase and take it all.. Comrade? :D

Really.. that is where we are heading.. like it or not. There is not a human being alive that knows and fully understands the ENTIRE tax code.. THAT is scary..

(And.. Trivia for the day.. there were virtually NO federal income taxes in the US (with some exceptions during war) until 1916..) http://www.ustreas.gov/education/fact-sheets/taxes/ustax.shtml

We also didn't have a welfare state, or military bases in 100+ countries. But then again, it's the American people that keep voting in the same tax and spend politicians because nobody wants to give up their piece of the pie for the good of the country.

Actually corporations don't pay taxes, thier customers do. If you raise taxes on business, they have to raise thier prices (or maybe fire a worker) to pay the additional tax.

What do you think is going to happen with the new taxes on medical devices in the new obamacare plan.
The companies will have to raise prices to pay the tax... i.e. medical cost will go up even more....

I would put it slightly differently "The companies choose to raise prices to maintain their profits..."

We also didn't have a welfare state, or military bases in 100+ countries. But then again, it's the American people that keep voting in the same tax and spend politicians because nobody wants to give up their piece of the pie for the good of the country.

Doesnt the milk taste so sweet off the gubment teet? :D

If you take my wife and I together, her entire Job is to pay the Tax/SS/MedC Bill for the family.. All 2048 hours a year. If they add taxes on internet, she will have to get a 2nd job to cover my Newegg addiction.

We only have military bases in 63 countries world wide. Some of those countries are under our protection Guam, Philippines... A few of those countries pose a strategic intrest or important to globa economy for example the Panama canal. Many are remnants from the Cold War.

I give the tax man a big middle finger.

So sick of getting raped and reamed on everything these days.

F Obama too, time to move to Canada instead of paying for some lazy ghetto persons health care.

I can't wait for politicians to implement this tax and then be out of a job the next November and have new politicians repeal the Internet tax. :cool:

I give the tax man a big middle finger.

So sick of getting raped and reamed on everything these days.

F Obama too, time to move to Canada instead of paying for some lazy ghetto persons health care.

LOL Canada for lower taxes, that's a new one

F lazy sick people. Let them die. Survival of the fittest and the rich (although the rich aren't necessary fit). :rolleyes:

Compassion; please take some and pass it around.

this really is just companies trying to boost or keep their ridiculous profits coming in

This.

Until our politicians pay for their limos, drivers, suits, pilots, flights, rent on multiple apartments, fuel, food, and god knows what else out of their own kick backed/bribed pockets they will never care. These "elected" officials have salaries far greater than over half of the people they are supposed to represent. 100% of these officials get paid by giant lobbyist groups on top of that. Until the 2 party system and the lobby groups are done away with, NOTHING will change for the better of the people in THIS country.

I'll bet Newegg, Amazon, etc would setup off-shore options so people can get out of taxes.

And yes the two party system is directly responsible for the political gridlock this country has been in for the last 70 years.

And yes the two party system is directly responsible for the political gridlock this country has been in for the last 70 years.

I wish we had a one party system a la Soviet Union. Maybe then people would give enough of a shit to actually do something about it.

Agreed. I'll add - so long as each state tries to set its own rules, you'll end up with more of the mess that's going on right now.

George Washington's thoughts on a two party system:
It serves to distract the Public Councils, and enfeeble the Public Administration....agitates the Community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms; kindles the animosity of one....against another....it opens the door to foreign influence and corruption...thus the policy and the will of one country are subjected to the policy and will of another."

Yeah, when you get here, try not to make any money or buy anything, that way you won't find out how much higher our taxes are. Oh, and "OHIP" is native-canadian slang, it doesn't have anything to do with our fully socialized health-care that everyone(everyone who pays taxes, that is) pays for.

That makes no sense at all. First you say corporations pay no tax then you say if they pay ADDITIONAL tax they're gonna fire people. Pick one.

That's the same BS argument we've heard from the lobbyists not to mention some of a particular political leaning for 30 years. Coddle the corporations and screw the citizens. I pay my taxes and a corporate entity is considered an individual under federal law. They need to pay their taxes too. I don't see why I need to pay more money out of my paycheck to make up for a corporation that doesn't pay their share.

I don't buy the argument that you can't make business play by the same rules or they're gonna fire people. I say screw them. They don't wanna pay get the hell out of the country and let someone else start a business who does play by the rules and doesn't treat their employees like cattle. Also, if they want to sell to the US after they've been thrown out then they can pay the import duty as well.

As for E-tailer taxes. If there's a business office in the same state that you live in you're going to pay sales tax anyway. The problem with this plan is figuring out who's taxes you pay in the proposed scenario of taxing all internet sales. What state gets the taxes? what if what you buy is shipped from another state or is incorporated in a different state than the business office you bought from? What if your state decides not to participate in the program.

Too many questions and the only solution would to collect taxes for all the states involved which would kill etailers or eliminate state taxes and just have one national sales tax rate.

States don't get to collect taxes on internet sales in many states because they had nothing to do with the business transaction and didn't facilitate it in any way. The business still pays its own taxes (not sales tax though) in the state they're located however.

:cool:

I live in Canada, we are already taxed out the wazoo, and we have healthcare :) They should just add Sin taxes on your smokes and booze and that will all be taken care of.

We only have military bases in 63 countries world wide. Some of those countries are under our protection Guam, Philippines... A few of those countries pose a strategic intrest or important to globa economy for example the Panama canal. Many are remnants from the Cold War.

It's called exaggeration, but regardless many we can do without and their cost adds tot eh problem.

That sucks to have to pay tax on groceries. Here in WA, we don't. We also don't pay state income tax. We pay Federal income tax and state sales tax on basically everything but groceries.

In Indiana there isn't a tax on grocieries either.

I live in Canada, we are already taxed out the wazoo, and we have healthcare :) They should just add Sin taxes on your smokes and booze and that will all be taken care of.

The USA already has taxes on alcohol and cigerettes.

Back