tv over wireless network?

ignitionxvi

Limp Gawd
Hey Guys,

I have been planning on buying a tv card for my PC, and now that i also have a laptop, i was wondering if there is a way for me to have the TV go in to the PC, and then "stream" over my wireless network so i would be able to watch TV from my laptop. I hope this is clear, and it seems like it should be do-able, as it would have many practicle purposes. My parents also have a system in their room, however we don't have a cable going to the area with the computer, and it would be a lot more reasonable if we could just use a wireless connection to send the audio/video.

I'm pretty new to the whole HTPC idea, so any help is appreciated.

it can be done, but with what software i don't know. I think with MCE and an extender? you can do it. Need 20mbit or so for HD, probably 10mbit for SD. So in other words you need a good 802.11G or A connection, B won't cut it for HD, and probably not for SD.

(I've seen it talked about on the web with a MCE box, and a xbox 360 as the player). I dont know if the laptop can be a player with mce. Sage or beyondtv or something also supports streaming across the network, and will have similar bandwidth requirements.

get G and you'll be fine. I use sage in a client server config. MCE and an extender would be usefull as well.

you might want to check out slingbox, but that wont give you the option of pvr capabilities i dont think.

ignitionxvi said:
Hey Guys,

I have been planning on buying a tv card for my PC, and now that i also have a laptop, i was wondering if there is a way for me to have the TV go in to the PC, and then "stream" over my wireless network so i would be able to watch TV from my laptop. I hope this is clear, and it seems like it should be do-able, as it would have many practicle purposes. My parents also have a system in their room, however we don't have a cable going to the area with the computer, and it would be a lot more reasonable if we could just use a wireless connection to send the audio/video.

I'm pretty new to the whole HTPC idea, so any help is appreciated.

i do this all the time with my laptop. I have a server running mythtv that records everything for me, then I use my laptop and browser to my tv folder and have a list of TV shows, double click and I'm watching my record TV... some times my wireless card in my laptop freaks out and starts eating my CPU, but really it works pretty good.

However since i'm just using media player to watch the videos it's not as nice as using something like a sage client to watch TV...

Back