TV tuner card... is this going to suffice?

slowbiz

2[H]4U
Hey, I'm looking to buy a card with stereo/video av inputs on it (you know, the red, white and yellow goodness). I'm going to be uploading some footy I've shot to make a video. The cheapest way I can do this is get a TV tuner card with inputs. I'm not sure if this will capture video AND sound. This is the one I was going to get (I can't get a link views it any better... it's the only tv card under crazy specials. it's on the right hand side). What does everyone think?

That card should do what you intend to do, simple A/V capture and if it doesn't capture audio, you can just use the line in on your soundcard without a problem. What software do you intend to use and what are the specs of the system it is going in. The reason I ask is because unless you get a hardware encoder card, if your CPU cant keep up with the input then you will end up with dropped frames. I also have no idea what the image quality of that card is either. I would suggest getting a Hauppauge PVR-150MCE for about $70 from pcalchemy.com as that will give you hardware encoding, good image quality and a vast amount of software support.

The system is:

P4 2.8 FSB 800Mhz on asus P4P 800SE
1 gig of PC3200
hundreds of gigs of hdd space
geforce fx 5900xt (not cutting it anymore)
all that.

I used to have a video card with a video in and I just used windows movie maker. I'm probably going to re-learn adobe what's it called (I can't remember, but I used it in high school). What would you recommend?

Oh yeah, pcalchemy.com doesn't ship to Canadia.

I would suggest getting a Hauppauge PVR-150....

I also have a aiw 9600xt....its install, setup it difficult
compared to the happ...

the aiw has some software stuff that I can't live
without it...video soap, divx encode...etc

xman

f :cool:

I also recommend a card with hardware MPEG2 encoding, such as the Hauppauge PVR-150 (I use one myself).

Not only does it take the enourmous strain of software encoding off of your CPU, but it also makes it easier to put the files directly on a DVD for TV viewing.

If you're going to get a 7800GTX in the future, be aware that they have VIVO capabilities as well (albeit without a hardware encoder).

slowbiz said:
I used to have a video card with a video in and I just used windows movie maker. I'm probably going to re-learn adobe what's it called (I can't remember, but I used it in high school). What would you recommend?

Oh yeah, pcalchemy.com doesn't ship to Canadia.

Its called adobe premiere... if the vid you shot was on a dv camera see if it has firewire.... you can do an import with firewire and it has the audio and video all in it... check and see before you go and buy...

Footer4321 said:
Its called adobe premiere... if the vid you shot was on a dv camera see if it has firewire.... you can do an import with firewire and it has the audio and video all in it... check and see before you go and buy...
Yeah, that's what it was. Unfortunately the camera I'm shooting with is a total piece of mini vhs rubbish. Well, it's not terrible, but it's only got the av cable output. Anyone know where I can get a PVR-150 for cheap (must ship to Canada)?

Back