TwinMos RMA?

maademperor

[H]ard|Gawd
Anybody ever had to RMA memory through TwinMos? I've got a gigabyte kit that needs replacement, and am hoping they wont give me a hardway to go. The guy on the phone said I had to set it up by email and that I would need my reciept? He said the reciept was needed because they sell to distributors and the TwinMos warranty is given to them, NOT the consumer. If the distributor doesnt offer to warranty it for more than X amount of time, then TwinMos is out of it...Newegg says very plainly, all warranties are through the manufacturer so it looks like a catch22 to me...

One of my sticks went bad. I'm still trying to get into contact with TwinMOS on this. I'm wondering, have you resolved this issue yet? It seems to me like you should be able to print out the newegg form and use that in lieu of the ordinary receipt?

All I can say is that their site makes their waranty quite clear and it very clearly says they will replace them if they are still in production. If they are unwilling to honor this, that is breaking a law or two I'm sure. I've been pretty happy with TwinMOS in the past, but, right now I'm stuck with 512MiB and things running a lot worse than before despite the fact that I now have 1T timings just due to the fact that I don't have enough memory (in particular, I was playing Oblivion when the other stick started going noticably bad and crashing my system. Now I find Oblivion to just be unplayable even at reduced settings since it's always loading and jerking in outside areas.) I'm a little worried that the UTT CH5 I'll invariably end up getting back will not play nicely with my UTT BH5, but, at least it would be an improvement (even single channel 1GiB is better than single channel 512MiB, though I worry that since I can't afford to get a OCZ DDR booster right now I may end up having to use loose timings, but, even that worst case is better than this.) I tried contacting the only e-mail address they had for America (which is listed as a generic info@ instead of having one just for RMAs or anything handy like that) and no response in days. I gave up and called, but, had to leave a message on someone's machine (that was today, so maybe they'll call me back tomorrow or so.) Seems it's rather hard to get an RMA...

My issue is still ongoing...they've had my memory for just barely 8 weeks now, and I've emailed twice the past 2 weeks as they said it would take 4-6 weeks for replacement. Starting to get a bit annoyed.

I signed all my emails with an embellished job title in my signature, as I emailed from the corporate account. That got the ball rolling nicely to get the RMA going but now I'm stuck waiting for my memory. At 6 weeks, I emailed for a status and was told it was pushed back a week due to the Golden Week Holiday

My last email this past thursday has gone un-answered. I think I'll get something from them, just dont know when. I've always had this type of problem with the Asia based companies, Enermax hung on me repeatedly before I just said forget it and have stuck to my vow not to purchase thier products....

Good luck, wish I could pass on a valuable person's name or something, but its all very anonymous.

It just really makes me wonder if one should think about contacting the BBB. I never had such troubles contacting, say, Lexar for example. I still haven't even gotten a contact back about getting the RMA form to even START the process...

I'd say call again, try to get a name to attach to your email correspondence. I also initially provided all the information from my chips in my email, in as compact and direct a manner as I could muster. Like I said, if you have a corporate email, or non-ISP based address to send from, I'd use it and be sure to trump up a nifty sounding title. Something like Purchasing Director may catch someone's eye...

Unfortunately, the BBB only seems to make an impact with companies that actually care about what may come.

Problem is, I don't have any of that. First I sent an e-mail (don't have a corporate account, not even a fake corporate sounding account) and have yet to see a response. Second I called their number and it sent me to an answering machine. I left my contact information, nothing so far (been well over a week now.) I don't have any names or anything to work with here. I mention BBB because this is starting to sound more and more like a very dodgy company that perhaps shouldn't be doing business anymore. It's one thing to just not care enough to have a 24/7 line or anything silly like that (I mean, they just make memory, so I can forgive them for not having someone at the line I suppose, though you'd think they'd at least have a customer service representative or something) but, even after contact information is left and they are contacted multiple times through different means to still not respond? Seems pretty unforgivable to me.

That's really too bad. I mean, I liked the SpeedPremium line which was decent memory that was more or less guaranteed to do decent stuff (they specifically picked UTT BH5 and CH5, which is known to do things like low latency and high speeds with just a little more juice) and they priced it very decently. And then they guarantee all their stuff for it's lifetime (funny wording there since lifetime means "lifetime of the product line" not "until you die.") But when you try to even get in touch with them their guarantee falls short considering the mess one must go through even to get in touch with them. I regret recommending this company to my dad for his memory and from now on I'll recommend against them if they can't even handle a simple thing like simply answering an e-mail or phone call within the same week (or heck, now I'm thinking I have to shoot for hoping for a contact this month...)

I agree, I wont be buying Twinmos products again. When I did get someone on the line, they seemed VERY reluctant to deal with me. As in my original post, there was definitely an attempt to not have to honor anything. But, as I said, this is the experience I've had with Asian based companies, as they arent US companies, and dont sell directly to the public anyway, they figure they can dodge thier responsibilty a whole lot easier.

Do this, call the sales line and ask what the name of the service manager is. Then, try to get him on the line, leave another message and send in an email with ALL applicable info regarding the product in question, what you did to fix it and end with "Please provide an RMA#" Make sure to mention the individual who's name you got before, whether you managed to talk to him or not. Feel free to say this is the #X correspondence and in the interest of proper business practice, you would appreciate a timely response.

Update: I got an email from them today (yesterday evening really) stating an apology for the delay (just about 8 weeks instead of 4-6) and that my memory was being sent via priority mail today. I suppose I should have it by Friday/Monday. I'll let you know what I get.

All my email correspondence was to TwinMOS Info [[email protected]]

Everything I recieved back had a very casual manner to it....I mailed them on the 18th, they reply on the 23rd...and even then it was just: sorry for the delay, your module is being sent by priority mail tomorrow" signed RMA...very anonymous.

The whole attitude is pretty dissapointing though. I know "the customer is always right" and "the customer comes first" died years ago, but, is the customer anywhere in their equation?

I will admit though, I do have the impression they've decided to stop doing normal memory or something. In all my searching before I realized I probably can't count on getting my memory replaced after all when I just wanted to get another memory module of the same type so I could be sure it matched (an RMA would almost certainly be UTT CH5 which may not dual channel well at all with my UTT BH5) I found that the only twinmos memory I could find was one DDR2 module that may have just been left over in stock. I found flash memory of various types all over the place though. Not to mention all the multimedia related things on their site.

Nonetheless, they haven't stated anything and those lines are still "in service" thus are still covered under waranty and should be honored (officially they state that they will announce six months in advance before canceling a line.)

Well, I thought seriously about contacting the BBB, but, I really don't like how it says that they give every bit of your information to the company and everything. It's one thing if the BBB gets information like that, but, does the company have to get it too?

Anyway, good luck on yours. So far still nothing for me. At this point I'm kind of just going to assume the worst and consider the memory lost. I'll keep trying, but, I've already bought memory to replace it and if I ever get it to go through, I'll just sell it or something.

well, I got my memory today. appears to be an unopened 1 GB PC3200 dual channel kit. different s/n and p/n#'s from my old memory, so I'm optimistic that they didnt just send me back my old RAM :p

First email contact on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 12:14 PM, finally finished right now. Just gotta see if it passes memtest now. Good luck with your situation, Nazo...

Not sure if anyone else is reading this anymore, but figured I'd update: one of the replacement sticks they sent me is good, the other is bad. tested the bad stick in two different boards, at stock voltage and over voltage. Extremely relaxed timings and stock "optimal" timings. Fails Memtest at test 5 (or pass 5?). Either way, its bullocks.

I emialed back to Twinmos of this situation, and advised that I'm not paying to send it back, wait another 8 weeks and get more crap back from them. I also mentioned that I've been posting this whole ordeal on a popular site and that another member wasnt even able to get a response from a rep (Nazo), so I suppose I've been lucky. Except for the fact that I'm right back where I started from, with one bad module and out 7 bucks for shipping.

I also mentioned how Crucial/Corsair handles these things better and how they are unlikely to see my business again. I doubt they will respond, but oh well. I need 2 gigs of matching memory anyway.

Ouch. I know bad sticks happen, and I don't actually blame them for accidentally sending you one, but, with the runaround they give you, it's almost a fatal error since you may never get it replaced... Thank goodness I want only to swap one chip. Assuming I ever even get someone that is. I think they aren't aware that the technology world is a lot more time sensitive than, say, farming or something. We can't AFFORD to have to wait 8 weeks + the time it takes to even get them contacted just to replace one stick of memory that they guaranteed wouldn't go wrong in the first place. I know I've certainly been crippled by having to use 512MiB of memory... Problem is, Windows takes almost half that the moment I turn my computer on, so I'm left with pitiful amounts of memory for normal tasks. And I do a lot of high memory tasks (and games too.)

I'm defnitely recommending against TwinMOS products to everyone I know in the future. They've completely lost this customer. I feel bad for having recommended that memory to my dad so long ago now. The memory itself is usually pretty good, but, if anything goes wrong, you're stuck. And it's a manufacturing process in which things must go wrong occasionally.

Back