Twitter Suggested For a Nobel Prize&#63

HardOCP News

[H] News
Oh. My. God. You have got to be kidding me. Twitter suggested for a Nobel Peace Prize? What ever happened to giving this award to people like Jean Henry Dunant, Martin Luther King Jr, Mother Thersa and the Dalai Lama?

“Twitter and other social media outlets have become the soft weapons of democracy ...It is telling the story of the Iranian people yearning to breathe free,” he wrote.

I'd sooner give the award to Al Gore for defeating ManBearPig than to an over-glorified "status message" system.

The deciding panel for the Nobel Prize should really watch this video.

Twitter isn't anything revolutionary, people have been IM'ing, setting their away status, and creating blogs for years. In no way do they deserve a reward over any of the social sites similar to facebook.

Let's see...couple days ago chick dies in tub tweeting that she is now in the tub...

Nobel Peace Prize .... no

Nobel Peace Prize for a website? Does it matter that it makes me want to strangle the person/people who suggested it? Global civil riots starting in 3...2...1...

Twitter isn't anything revolutionary, people have been IM'ing, setting their away status, and creating blogs for years. In no way do they deserve a reward over any of the social sites similar to facebook.

Agreed. I guess IRC was too ahead of its time :p

lol I was gonna say, that award lost all credibility when gore got it... so with that said, who cares if twitter gets it

hey, while we're at it we should give pulitzers for smut novels. just hand that shit out like candy to everyone who makes it into penthouse letters too.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

at least he actually put real effort into activism with an admirable benevolent goal. twitter is aimless, pointless.. its an incidental pop-culture fad that was in the right place at the right time to take advantage of the need for young peoples coordination in iran. theres no comparison

reminds me of this story from back in 2007 : http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=20901

I think the Nobel... Prize Committee... has lost any sort of credibility over the past several years. I think Alfred Nobel would be... disappointed... with the political direction the awards have gone. A quick glance at recent Peace winners, which do actually include the likes of Al Gore, shows that the Prize Committee hasn't actually put any thought into who they pick outside of political boundaries.

Given that the Prize Committee has distinctly failed on all accounts to accurately judge the criteria that Alfred Nobel set, a non-person like Twitter does actually stand a fair chance.

There is hope, however, that the what are you smoking backlash may be large enough this time for something to be done.

What... I don't know.

Is it even possible to lock the current committee up for clinical insanity?

Yesterday, I shat a turd that looked like Jesus. I think I would have a good shot for a Nobel Prize.

If twitter gets a nobel prize, i am moving to Canada to join the ranks of American hating french Canadians.

One step closer to buying my wilderness retreat and going all Kacyznski ... minus the letter bombs and all that.

at least he actually put real effort into activism with an admirable benevolent goal. twitter is aimless, pointless.. its an incidental pop-culture fad that was in the right place at the right time to take advantage of the need for young peoples coordination in iran. theres no comparison

The rich kids in Iran twitter twats have their own agenda. Besides that, you couldn't have summed it up better.

I've not used Twitter...nor do I plan to. The idea that people feel the need to constantly publish what they're doing on the net to readers on the net is disturbing. I mean...I read what celebs twitter and I think "WHO THE FUCK GIVES A SHIT!!!!" Do I REALLY want to know that Madonna just left a deuce? Do I really want to know that some dude in New Mexico is eating pork 'n' beans? Hell no. The fact that this was suggested for the Nobel Prize is ridiculous. I thought receiving the Nobel Prize meant that you had in some way made the world somewhat better. I don't see any redeeming qualities in twitter whatsoever.

Twitter is a freaking knockoff of the Facebook status tool...
I'm still saying it'll die off in a couple years. Only option they have is expanding the web-based profiles, which would become more like Facebook which would result in lawsuits...

Why not nominate like a religious guy or something? I mean, anyone actually doing good for humanity rather than just creating a "tool".

Well, Al Gore got one for massive fear mongering. Why not Twitter?

The Nobel committee lost all credibility with me when they awarded Al Gore a peace prize. This does not surprise me at all.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahaha

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHahAHAhahaHAhaa

If twitter gets a nobel prize, i am moving to Canada to join the ranks of American hating french Canadians.

How does this even make sense? Because it was an American who suggested it? Americans have no more control over when wins a Nobel Prize than Canadians do over who wins...say the Stanley Cup.

I've not used Twitter...nor do I plan to. The idea that people feel the need to constantly publish what they're doing on the net to readers on the net is disturbing. I mean...I read what celebs twitter and I think "WHO THE FUCK GIVES A SHIT!!!!" Do I REALLY want to know that Madonna just left a deuce? Do I really want to know that some dude in New Mexico is eating pork 'n' beans? Hell no. The fact that this was suggested for the Nobel Prize is ridiculous. I thought receiving the Nobel Prize meant that you had in some way made the world somewhat better. I don't see any redeeming qualities in twitter whatsoever.

Um... Iran. China.

I'll let you figure it out.

Um... Iran. China.

I'll let you figure it out.

I was referring to the useless bullshit that people publish. If someone finds a good legitimate use for the service, then so be it. Yes, I did read on the use it has/is serving in Iran, but, when looked at as a whole, I still don't see it as a genuine entry for the Nobel Prize.

While I completely agree about Twitter specifically, there was more in the wording then just Twitter

"Twitter and other social media outlets have become the soft weapons of democracy "

I think what they are getting at is that information can not be stopped anymore because of all these outlets that are accessable by nearly any person in the world. Iran, China, North Korea all have tried to road block the media and for the most part they are fairly successfull because the media still has to play by the rules especially when its not their country to begin with. But these latest events have shows the actual citizens to be news reporters.....these people cant be stopped because they will not cease and there are just too many of them. And thats where the revolution comes from.....not CNN Vs. Ashton Kutcher publicity crap.

Back