Two graphics card installed and low FPS

tim0chen

n00b
I recently started using a dual monitor setup with two graphics cards, a Radeon x800 (PCI-E) and Radeon 9700 (PCI), so that I can use two DVI slots. I'm getting unusually low FPS with this setup. Even when I play a non-intensive game like CS at 800x600 in OpenGL, my FPS drops to 20-30fps when I'm encountering lots of action.

I suspect that what's causing this could be that the graphics are being driven by my Radeon 9700 instead of x800, even though the x800 is PCI-E. Is this possible? 800x600 in CS shouldn't stress an x800, but it could be tougher for a 9700 to handle. If this is possible, how do I switch the setup so that the x800 drives the graphics? If this is not the case, what are some other possible solutions?

Thanks in advance!

Why do you need two graphics cards for dual display? Doesn't the X800 have dual outputs?

There's a Radeon 9700 pci?

Yup, apparently so :).

Why do you need two graphics cards for dual display? Doesn't the X800 have dual outputs?

The x800 has an analog output and a DVI output. Since DVI produces better picture, I wanted two DVI outputs so I got a secondary card.

Gaming while using a second monitor is not a good idea.
Even with two video cards.
You will get a FPS hit.

tim0chen said:
The x800 has an analog output and a DVI output. Since DVI produces better picture, I wanted two DVI outputs so I got a secondary card.

Point taken. :)

The performance hit from dual monitors shouldn't be that large though... I game with dual monitors on a 6600GT, the framerate hit isn't big enough for me to notice. Have you tried updating / reinstalling the drivers since you added the pci card? As far as making games come up on the correct screen, make sure that "Use this display as my primary monitor" is selected for the monitor you want to use for games. If games are coming up on the screen that's connected to the x800, and you're still getting lots of slowdown, then it's an issue that I can't help you with.

DanK said:
make sure that "Use this display as my primary monitor" is selected for the monitor you want to use for games

That fixed my problem--thanks! I thought that x800 would power graphics on both monitors, but I guess not.

Now I have another problem: I'm trying to set up the monitor connected to the x800 as the "1" monitor, since it's on the left. If you don't know what I mean, go to Display Properties --> Settings. Windows identifies whatever monitor is attached to the x800 (the one on the left) as the "2" monitor by default, and I don't know how to change that. As a result, the Start button and quicklaunch area, etc., are all located on the right monitor instead of the left.

Any ideas?

9200 or 9700? If it is a 9700 can you post some pics?

Spectre said:
9200 or 9700? If it is a 9700 can you post some pics?

Don't listen to me; I'm stupid. I just double-checked, and it's a Radeon 7000.

Sorry for the confusion.

Back