Two more major vendors kick HD-DVD while it's down

I only own about 8 BR movies, but im glad I made the right choice.

And I dont really care about Transformers....lol

Yeah screw transformers, the only HD-DVD that I care about coming to bluray is Army of Darkness :D

I'm also a little confused about Transformers. I thought it was kind of a fun movie, but it wasn't that great. Yes, the first 1/2 was written pretty well and Megan Fox is easy on the eyes...but the last 1/2 of the movie was kind of lousy.
It was good for a blockbuster-type movie, but you'd think it was the second coming of the Godfather online. Ah the internet. Where's you'd think Transformers was Oscar worthy and Ron Paul will be president.
I'm actually interested in seeing a Blu-Ray of Fight Club. I'm a big Palhniuk fan, and my DVD of it looks pretty rough.

I actually do too, but if you were isolated online, you'd think he was in the lead or something. With all of the insane fandom the guy has online, he has pretty much no chance of winning. He was taking a beating from most of the guys who already dropped out.
It's just one of those internet things that doesn't translate to the real world.

good thing because all movies will be release on one format

bad thing because competition help lower prices

Probably could have done with a few more months of competition to push the prices a little more... but it's likely to be a good thing on the whole.

Uhm... they still have competition.. DVD's are still selling, and cost 1/2 the price of BR. So to sell well againts standard DVD's, BR will still have to drop in price.

Army of Darkness is a great movie, I just recently picked this one up for 9.99 at walmart (Standard DVD, but it looks great while being upscaled via PS3)

Uhm... they still have competition.. DVD's are still selling, and cost 1/2 the price of BR. So to sell well againts standard DVD's, BR will still have to drop in price.
Doesn't really work like that though. They know they'll sell their movies on one or the other so there isn't a lot of pressure to price drop the films or the players simply because they know the HD nut is usually happy to pay a premium.

I dont see much difference in price in some retail shops with the latest movies, dvds certainly arent 1/2 price (talking abot most new releases)

Yeah, pricing varies. For the "special edition" new releases with more than one disk, you'll usually see the DVD as $19-25 and the Blu-Ray at $29.
I think the funniest thing of all time is that we already have 2-disk Blu-Rays for movies like Superbad. Whatever happened to that amazing capacity? Oh yeah...it's still easier to just have a second disk of extras and have the movie disk be the same across the board.

Not new movies. New DVDs are still $20 a pop, and BR version of the same movie are $25-$35. Mostly $30. Not the 50% price difference you claim. This is at retail stores such as Target, Walmart, Bestbuy, etc.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing for us consumers?
The only people who truly benefit are the studios who only have to produce 2 formats instead of 3....and maybe people sticking with dvd because of the lower prices on media and players. Blu fanboys on the other hand can enjoy $20 being the new special "sale" price for movies (it was around $10 just about a month ago with BOGO's and such) and not much movement on the price of standalone players until more companies get in the act (with finalized 2.0) and compete with each other.

The consumer benifits. With 1 format, High Definition media actually has a chance to survive. It did not stand a change with 2 opposing formats. Prices will go down with Blu-Ray just as they did with DVD. All in good time. There's simply not a large enough userbase to justify low prices at this point. They have to recoup their investment.

As for movies I'm anxious for....Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2 on Blu-Ray! Not only are they awesome movies, but they are incredibly visual experiences. Vol. 2 in particular is a beautiful looking movie.

Yeah, pricing varies. For the "special edition" new releases with more than one disk, you'll usually see the DVD as $19-25 and the Blu-Ray at $29.
I think the funniest thing of all time is that we already have 2-disk Blu-Rays for movies like Superbad. Whatever happened to that amazing capacity? Oh yeah...it's still easier to just have a second disk of extras and have the movie disk be the same across the board.

Yeah, typically the second disc is a SD version. I chalk it up to the studio being lazy :p

Back