Two storage questions

cyberslag5k

Limp Gawd
1. Would 12GB of memory be overkill for a computer built for gaming and software compilation? I was considering just doing 6, but now that motherboards and operating systems can support so much, if there's a significant performance increase in doubling that, I think it would be worth the small price increase. Is it worth it?

2. This may be a dumb question, but I can't, for the life of me, figure out which are the new Intel SSD drives. Looking on Newegg there are a handful of drives, but the model numbers don't tell me much, and I can't determine which are the new drives (or if any or all of them are). I checked Intel's site, wikipedia, and googled around, but all I can determine are that both the old ones and the new ones are named X25-M, which does not help.

Thanks!

1. For gaming yes, 12GB is overkill. Most likely overkill for software compilation also but I don't know anything about those types of programs so I can't say for sure.

But, if you are ever going to buy 12GB, now is probably the time.

Thanks.

But, if you are ever going to buy 12GB, now is probably the time.

Why do you say that?

Also, I've found the answer to my SSD question. It seems the generation 2 model numbers end in G2.

Thanks.

Why do you say that?

Also, I've found the answer to my SSD question. It seems the generation 2 model numbers end in G2.

In general, the plan of people to buy 6GB now and 6GB later can be problematic. Memory changes so quickly that you may not be able to easily find a matching 6GB later down the road if you want it. And, buying matched kits of 6GB OR 12GB is the best way to do this. And, pricing is pretty decent right now.

Back