Tyan K8WE Problem

guber42

n00b
Hey I just built a new machine. When I first booted it up it said no operating system found. I then installed windows xp and everything was fine. I turn the computer off. The next morning I turn it on and again when it first boots up it says operating system not found. What is the problem here? I then proceed to install it again and find out that all of the things I did last night are still on the mahine (such as installing programs). Anyways its wierd because when i first boot up it doesnt go into DOS or the BIOS or anything. I think the hard-drive is not the boot drive, I think the DVD drive is. Cuz even though I have the OS installed already on the hard-drive when i first boot, the computer cant find it, but as soon as i put in the XP installation disk it can do it. Anybody know what is going on?

Sorry this is so long I feel it is better to give more info than needed.
Thanks in advance for reading.

By the way here are my specs:
2x AMD Opteron 246's
Tyan K8WE Mobo
2GB Kingston PC3200 REG ECC RAM
Seagate 160GB HDD (IDE)

Yeah, it sounds like your harddrive is not set to be the boot device. You just need to get into the bios to change it. As the board boots (this can take a while) press F2 and Del (I don't know which one it is, so press both) and you'll be into the bios just fine.

just go into the BIOS and set the primary master higher (or put it in) the boot priority.

As a Tyan K8WE owner I can attest to the boards boot menu stuff is ass. Very poorly laid out and mine doesn't boot to certain devices very well.

well it seems to have worked!
i am really excited about this computer, its very fast and stable. It can handle anything i throw at it.
Well, thanks alot guys i appreciate the help.

alienb said:
yeah, I have the same thing. Nice board, but it has it's quirks

Most of the quirks I've seen are BIOS related. Other than that though, very stable and very solid. I've enjoyed mine.

Back