U.S. Video Game Sales Up 10% in February

HardOCP News

[H] News
U.S. video game sales rose 10 percent in February to $1.47 billion. To the surprise of no one, the Wii is still in first, the Xbox 360 still in second place and the PS3 and PS2 bring up the rear.

"What it tells you about this economy is that there are a couple of categories of consumer that are just going to get what they want," said Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter. "I think that what this is telling you is that guys who buy video games have no clue that we're in a recession," he said.

More people laid off at home = more people with time to play videogames.

this

You know, I really need to stop reading these articles because I just become furious with how they simplify everything. Perhaps these people who buy games do know we're in a recession, and that playing video games on Friday nights is a much cheaper alternative to going out to a bar. I don't know, Mr. big shot analyst, tell me what you think.

this

You know, I really need to stop reading these articles because I just become furious with how they simplify everything. Perhaps these people who buy games do know we're in a recession, and that playing video games on Friday nights is a much cheaper alternative to going out to a bar. I don't know, Mr. big shot analyst, tell me what you think.

Exactly. That is something that has been said many times over, certain areas are going to continue to see money and entertainment is one of those. People aren't going to go out as much, they wont' go out and spend $5,000+ for vacation. However they will be more likely to buy games and movies as it gives them something they can do at home. Dinner and a movie for 2 will run you about $50 or more. At that rate you can rent or buy a movie and make your own nice dinner for two and save yourself some money. Instead of going out finding things to do every weekend you can save money on gas and the cost of whatever you might have done and buy a game and play that.

Not only that but when you have lost your job or have other finanical issues, a game or something like that can help you take your mind off of what is bad.

Then again not everyone is feeling the hurt as much as others. I'll say that I havent' really noticed anything change for me. I still have a job, i still make just a much as I did before. I still have a house, still have a car... Only thing I have noticed is that my 401k is going down the drain, but I haven't had one for very long so I don't have much to lose. When you only have about $4000 vested in one, a 25% lose really isn't all that much. So I still buy games, movies and cds just like I did before.

Actually to me it seems like a good thing that people are still spending money on stuff like this, it helps keeps the people making the games in business, along with the people running the stores...

Well, I doubt laid-off people are sitting at home and playing video games all day long. I'm sure that they are looking for a job and working hard.

What these analysts fail to realize is that video games is a GREAT investment on leisure, assuming that the amount of time occupied is the "return." You could spend $20 at a movie theater for 2 hours, or you can spend $50 on a game and spend hundreds of hours on it. You could go out to bars and spend $100 for 6-hour, hazy memories of drunken debacles with your friends (and strangers), or you could spend $50 on a game and frag your friends for hours on end.

It's just silly how the analyst was so quick to say that gamers are oblivious to the current state and that we're stupid when in fact, we're being thrifty. Now, I don't know if the value of video games along with recession is actually the reason for increased video game sales, but I think it certainly merits consideration.

<snip>

Actually to me it seems like a good thing that people are still spending money on stuff like this, it helps keeps the people making the games in business, along with the people running the stores...

Yeah, I don't get what that analyst is trying to say. Is he saying that because we're in a recession we shouldn't help out companies that make or sell video games? Honestly what it sounds like he said we shouldn't be spending money on certain things because we're in a recession, but that will just make things worse.

SFIV is a good game...I'm still trying to master the art of cancelling throws....the shit is annoying...

"I think that what this is telling you is that guys who buy video games have no clue that we're in a recession"

lolwut? and gaming being one of the cheaper forms of entertainment has nothing to do with it :p

Yeah, Pachter is a dick. As others have said, gaming isn't as expensive as other entertainments you could be doing. They've even invented a new word during this recession - the stay-cation. Instead of spending $3000 going to the Florida Keys, you take a week off and spend the time relaxing and doing things near home that are free or cheap.

Dinner for two at a mediocre restaurant is like $40. Games that are six months old are $40. Which one's going to give you more actual entertainment?

Also as others have said... just because we're in a recession doesn't mean everyone is hurting. My salary is the same as it was last July, before the huge collapse. My 401k sucks, but I'm not living off that, and have 35 years to make up what's been lost (just think of it as buying low!). My expendable income is just as expendable now. I might be a little more judicious about big purchases, in case the layoff hammer comes down, but buying video games? pah. It's a good investment, especially since you can always resell them.

YOU SHOULD ALL BE AT HOME M I S E R A B L E!!! WE ARE IN A TIME OF DOOM AND GLOOM! HOW DARE YOU SIT AT HOME ENJOYING A CHEAP FORM OF ENTERTAINMENT YOU BASTARDS!

I want to be an anonymous internet forums analyst too! :rolleyes:

Here I go...

My analysis is that games, like all products, are all being bargained-bined much faster because of the recession.

I know almost nobody that buys new $60 game anymore, we either just go and get us some Steam games during weekend sales or buy year one or year two console games like Saints Row and Gears of War (both of which I got at $5 a pop for the 360 in February)

What I find interesting is that the Wii is selling the most games. Now mind you, those "games" are not superior to those on other platforms. But since the Wii costs less to begin with there is a mass of owners willing and waiting to feed their machines.

games have been cheaper the last year then they ever have been. i never remember a time when it was commonplace to find brand new titles for $20... and nothing is more then $40.

Back