U3011, 3007WFP or U2711 for gaming?

dakU7

Gawd
Which monitor will be better for gaming out of the three?
I'm leaning towards the 3007wfp because I can buy it for relatively cheap.

Last edited:
None, unless you like grey blacks (below average contrast), aggressive AG coating which makes whites+light colors look dirty/grainy+dull and possibly getting a screen with tinting for the sake of some size and resolution.

Relative to what?

EDIT: more appropriately phrased: what would you suggest?

ACD/Hazro IPS for glossy or sitting closer to a smaller display with good image quality.

Increasing the size+resolution does not make up for the most important aspects of image quality which are below average and ruined by unecessarily aggressive AG coating and possibility of tinting+exchanging, despite the premium pricing.

Which monitor will be better for gaming out of the three?
I'm leaning towards the 3007wfp because I can buy it for relatively cheap.

If you don't need extra inputs then that's a very good gaming screen. Exceptionally low input lag and a panel with decent pixel response, though definitely not class-leading. If it's the 3007WFP and not the 3007WFP-HC you have the benefit of it being a standard sRGB gamut monitor which improves color accuracy in general windows use, especially gaming where a color correction profile is difficult to apply.

None, unless you like grey blacks (below average contrast), aggressive AG coating which makes whites+light colors look dirty/grainy+dull and possibly getting a screen with tinting for the sake of some size and resolution.

3011=18ms of input lag, U2711=24ms (old method, in reality lag=around/slighly over 1 frame/16.7ms)

Outside of input lag none of the factors you've listed affects gaming whatsoever. Also dull colors are made up for by wide gamut, which to me is not desirable due to super-saturated innacurate colors with Winblows.

Aggressive AG coating affects text more than gaming
Contrast affects entertainment use like movies and videos more than gaming
Tinting affects color-accurate work more than gaming

Not trying to troll your post here, but from one Canadian to another "stay the course".

3011=18ms of input lag, U2711=24ms (old method, in reality lag=around/slighly over 1 frame/16.7ms)

So what would you recommend? How's the 3007WFP in terms of input lag? Is it something i'm going to notice in FPS games?
I can get it for 550$ new and I'd like to know if 600$ more for the U3011 is going to be worth it, or if there's any other monitors that'll give me better bang for the buck, I'm willing to invest more money if it's worth it.

So what would you recommend? How's the 3007WFP in terms of input lag? Is it something i'm going to notice in FPS games?
I can get it for 550$ new and I'd like to know if 600$ more for the U3011 is going to be worth it, or if there's any other monitors that'll give me better bang for the buck, I'm willing to invest more money if it's worth it.

Of course it won't be worth it!

I got my 3007WFP-HC for 750$ two years ago. I haven't noticed ANY ghosting with it, compared to my 2ms TN panel, and it has no scalar, so no input lag.

I've been telling people to get a 3007WFP-HC for months..

I've never heard of a compelling argument for the U3011. Sure, it's got a newer panel, but twice the price? No way!

And the U2711, just like the 2709, it's just silly to spend so much and not get 30".

Wow, if you can get it for 550$, can you tell us where? I'd love to go 8043x1600.

The 3007WFP and 3007WFP-HC are considered to have very low input lag.

Of course it won't be worth it!

I got my 3007WFP-HC for 750$ two years ago. I haven't noticed ANY ghosting with it, compared to my 2ms TN panel, and it has no scalar, so no input lag.

I've been telling people to get a 3007WFP-HC for months..

I've never heard of a compelling argument for the U3011. Sure, it's got a newer panel, but twice the price? No way!

And the U2711, just like the 2709, it's just silly to spend so much and not get 30".

Wow, if you can get it for 550$, can you tell us where? I'd love to go 8043x1600.

That would be ony helluva Eyefinity/Surround resolution :eek:

Aggressive AG coating ruins whites and light colors in gaming.

Low contrast makes colors look washed out and blacks grey in gaming, on top of the allready dulled and dirty colors due to aggressive AG coating.

Tinting makes light colors and whites in gaming look tinted on top of looking dull, dirtied and washed out.

3007 doesn't have any input lag, and in reality neither do to the 3011/U2711 @ around 18ms, with Vsync on one still has <30ms of input lag. If one isn't a hardcore gamer and thinks they need to destroy image quality for size and res it all comes down to pricing when choosing.

Any reason you aren't considering the HP? All the benefits of the big dells with less AR! No?

Aggressive AG coating ruins whites and light colors in gaming.

Low contrast makes colors look washed out and blacks grey in gaming, on top of the allready dulled and dirty colors due to aggressive AG coating.

Tinting makes light colors and whites in gaming look tinted on top of looking dull, dirtied and washed out.

I just wanted to add a point of data:

I have noticed none of the above symptoms with my U3011.

[/in before the "My eyes are better than yours" argument]

That's nice, but it doesn't change the facts: these montiors use aggressive AG coating and have below average contrast.

If you don't notice or have a good monitor for comparison you are lucky, you can be happy with your purchase. In the meantime it is only fair to warn potential buyers of serious issues many people on [H] can not stand and have opted for the Glossy Apple Cinema Display.

None of the above. RMAed my DELL U3011 due to the above points listed by NCX, and I couldn't be more than happy to be rid of it.

Wait for the 27" Samsung SA850.

Out of curiosity, what is average contrast?

Last year it was round 850:-900:1 @120/140/200cdm/2 according to DV/PRAD/TFT Central , is probably around 900:1+ this year.

These clock in at around 650-750:1=greyish blacks+IPS glow=fail. The big monitors are the furthest behind in terms of image quality. The Hazro IPS panels can do 900:1+:D

Many of the e-ips panles do around 1000:1 with some variances: PRAD recieved an ML239H with a 200:1 contrast vs TFT Centrals unit with 800:1, one site tested 3x NEC EA232's, one had a 600:1 contrast ratio vs 900:1+ on the other 2.

Back