Ubi goes Old School - Might and Magic X legacy

Mr_Zen....thank you very much for sharing your perspective of the game. I do have a question for you regarding story. Is there one? I saw a passing comment on another forum that there was no story to speak of whatsoever. Just wondering if it's Bard's Tale kind of thing where you're basically working your way up to kill Mangar and free Skara Brae without any real narrative or is there more to it than that?

I know linear is a bad word and everyone wants sandbox but I've been playing table-top and computer RPGs since the early 80s and wondering around in a sandbox looking for something to do does not appeal to me at all. Give me a good story, even if it's on rails.

Thanks again!

Thanks, I'm downloading the digital deluxe version now.

Did a little reading around the developer blog and I'm hoping that some die-hard fans of the genre develop some new content for it over time :).

This should be a fun game for a dinosaur like me :p. While I can enjoy games like TES, Fallout, and STALKER I really enjoy RPGs where I can develop a party and it's member dynamics.

Crossing my fingers that I don't run into some of the nastier bugs I've read about though... Still willing to take the risk!

Hope you enjoy it as much as I have so far :)

The classes appear to offer interesting dynamics that compliment each others skills very well. This only improves as the game progresses as more skills become available that offer plenty of strategies in battle. I have already identified weaknesses in my current party and am looking forward to a second play-through with everything streamlined. It's not easy to gimp your party though, unless you make some really poor decisions :)

In regards to the bugs, the biggest issue would be the overworld performance. There is no doubt the game needs more optimization. Due to the turn-based nature of the gameplay, it's not a show stopper.

Mr_Zen....thank you very much for sharing your perspective of the game. I do have a question for you regarding story. Is there one? I saw a passing comment on another forum that there was no story to speak of whatsoever. Just wondering if it's Bard's Tale kind of thing where you're basically working your way up to kill Mangar and free Skara Brae without any real narrative or is there more to it than that?

I know linear is a bad word and everyone wants sandbox but I've been playing table-top and computer RPGs since the early 80s and wondering around in a sandbox looking for something to do does not appeal to me at all. Give me a good story, even if it's on rails.

Thanks again!

Yes, there is definitely a main storyline and the writing for the most part is just Ok. It stays true to the M&M universe, however I wouldn't go as far to say the story is a strong point of the game. It would probably be made a lot better if there was more voice acting and cutscenes involved. That being said, the game does offer decent direction for progressing the side quests and main story so you never feel like you are wandering aimlessly with no goal. The order in how you approach things is entirely up to you, so it is not too linear.

The real star of the show is the questing and gameplay. So if storyline is super critical for you, then you might be a little disappointed in that respect.

Major performance issues in part of Act 2, which is sad. That's when the game gives you a ton of places to explore.

Otherwise, pretty solid still. My party is level 17 now... getting my ass handed to me fairly often. Probably because I like to do things out of order. I was exploring areas clearly not meant for my level. The party is almost invincible if I have a steady stream of mana potions, but not enough dps for enemies well over my level. I somewhat regret picking a ranger.

Major performance issues in part of Act 2, which is sad. That's when the game gives you a ton of places to explore.

Otherwise, pretty solid still. My party is level 17 now... getting my ass handed to me fairly often. Probably because I like to do things out of order. I was exploring areas clearly not meant for my level. The party is almost invincible if I have a steady stream of mana potions, but not enough dps for enemies well over my level. I somewhat regret picking a ranger.

I am regretting picking the Scout. Seems ranged attacks are really under powered at the moment. It's a real shame about the performance of the over world. When the game tends to chug, you can see a lot of object pop-in. They need to optimize their streaming code, big time.

On the next run I'll replace the scout with a tank character.

I can do decent bow damage at range, crits in the 70's. There simply aren't enough levels to bang out both melee and ranged to a good level, and you're not going to spend that many turns in ranged combat. Other than some air spells, not much in the way of pulling her own weight.

Just wanted to say I started playing M&M X this past weekend and I am having a blast. The game is more intued with M&M 3, 4 and 5, with sound effects from 6. Some interesting points:

There is a lot of high level mobs in the early game area, I assume because if the game is not truly open world, they had to make certain areas inaccessible till you gain a higher level.

Speaking of maps, I like that I can put my own notes down, so I am doing that for locations of chests if I don't have enough space in my inventory and all of the Expert and Master people.

I finished Act I, so I am looking forward to Act II. I am also looking forward to mods of the game, I wonder how unique the mods will be?

Bought and downloaded the game on Steam before work this morning. Just got home from work but have a meeting this evening for a new D&D group that's forming. I may not get to play tonight. Man, I love being a nerd. :p

Not sure how far away from finishing Act I I am, but I'm really, really enjoying this game right now. It's not perfect, but then most of my favorite games aren't. Playing on Warrior too and it's pretty unforgiving if I screw up.

My current party plays pretty well together too... Crusader, Berserker, Scout, Druid. My experience so far with the scout has been great though. I did find a pretty wicked axe early on and he's been rocking face. His range attacks do suck.

I like the items that level up with you... Reminds me of the artifact weapons from Dark Ages of Camelot. I also had a pretty funny moment when I saw a bright purple clownfish flying over a stream when I first stepped out of town. Everything looked great... then there was this fish just floating across the screen, no animation, nothing... It was a wtf moment lol.

Worth the purchase for me even with the need for polish.

Not sure how far away from finishing Act I I am, but I'm really, really enjoying this game right now. It's not perfect, but then most of my favorite games aren't. Playing on Warrior too and it's pretty unforgiving if I screw up.

My current party plays pretty well together too... Crusader, Berserker, Scout, Druid. My experience so far with the scout has been great though. I did find a pretty wicked axe early on and he's been rocking face. His range attacks do suck.

I like the items that level up with you... Reminds me of the artifact weapons from Dark Ages of Camelot. I also had a pretty funny moment when I saw a bright purple clownfish flying over a stream when I first stepped out of town. Everything looked great... then there was this fish just floating across the screen, no animation, nothing... It was a wtf moment lol.

Worth the purchase for me even with the need for polish.

Yeah, my bad with the scout. I focused too much on perception and not enough on might so he is fairly useless in melee currently. His ranged attacks were never anything amazing regardless of having a ton of perception.

Speaking of WTF moments, I swear I heard some modern pop music randomly start playing in one of the dungeons. I had to Alt-Tab to see if I left a browser open or something. Nope. I think the devs have hidden all sorts of quirky little easter eggs in the game.

I agree the game is worth the purchase. The asking price is very reasonable considering how many hours worth of entertainment it contains. It's a steal for fans of the old skool.

Speaking of WTF moments, I swear I heard some modern pop music randomly start playing in one of the dungeons. I had to Alt-Tab to see if I left a browser open or something. Nope. I think the devs have hidden all sorts of quirky little easter eggs in the game.

Heard the same music the other night out by a stream near the Lighthouse.

I'm in Adventure mode and level 7 and am getting beat up pretty badly (Barbarian, Crusader, Scout, & Druid). I've explored all the area outside of Sorpical; completed Den of Thieves. Found the Dragon cave (insta-death), Cyclops cave (insta-death), ruins with Banshees/Wraiths (insta-death). I made it to the 4th level of the lighthouse and the boss closed to melee and one sweep sent me over the edge. I found some portal behind the Governor's keep (cannot access), a bridge that is blocked by guards, I cannot get into Governor's (forget it's name) keep which is blocked by guards.

The game has been a fun diversion, but I'm kind of at a stand-still with the game. I keep going back to town to see if I've missed a mission or contact. Maybe someone can PM with a hint.

Heard the same music the other night out by a stream near the Lighthouse.

I'm in Adventure mode and level 7 and am getting beat up pretty badly (Barbarian, Crusader, Scout, & Druid). I've explored all the area outside of Sorpical; completed Den of Thieves. Found the Dragon cave (insta-death), Cyclops cave (insta-death), ruins with Banshees/Wraiths (insta-death). I made it to the 4th level of the lighthouse and the boss closed to melee and one sweep sent me over the edge. I found some portal behind the Governor's keep (cannot access), a bridge that is blocked by guards, I cannot get into Governor's (forget it's name) keep which is blocked by guards.

The game has been a fun diversion, but I'm kind of at a stand-still with the game. I keep going back to town to see if I've missed a mission or contact. Maybe someone can PM with a hint.

There is a strategy to beating this guy. The battle is like a dance, you have to keep away from the edges. It took me several attempts to beat that boss. There is a certain percentage of luck involved with that battle too. Keep trying and you'll eventually win.

The game isn't level scaled, so you will encounter monsters that can kill you in one round.

I made a lot of progress and got to the end of act2 last night. I'm enjoying it immensely.

This game is an absolute blast to play. Finally got started this morning, built my party, and set out. And that was after blowing 3 hours in WoW this morning, half-heartedly PVPing on my 90 priest.

About to leave Sorpigal for either the lighthouse or the Den of Thieves. Gotta stop wasting my time with WoW. ;)

Unfortunately my playing MMX has been brought to a standstill due to incredibly poor performance upon reaching the "Menthil Coast".

Performance was always a bit choppy in the forests of the overworld, but this area is unplayable for me. I have set all the graphic settings to LOW or OFF for the video to rule out settings being too high. The performance is exactly the same when all settings are maxed.

YouTube Clip

@mr_zen256

Sounds like a memory leak. Have you checked memory usage when this happens?

@mr_zen256

Sounds like a memory leak. Have you checked memory usage when this happens?

It's very location specific. If I return to the previous area performance returns to normal.

Memory usage for MMX hovers around 1.8gb

EDIT: Decided to push on through the area with the crappy performance, luckily the area wasn't huge. They definitely need to release a decent patch and include stability fixes. I've had about 8 CTD's in 52 hours of play.

Last edited:
It's very location specific. If I return to the previous area performance returns to normal.

Memory usage for MMX hovers around 1.8gb

EDIT: Decided to push on through the area with the crappy performance, luckily the area wasn't huge. They definitely need to release a decent patch and include stability fixes. I've had about 8 CTD's in 52 hours of play.

I have no idea how far away I am from the Menthil Coast. I just finished Castle Portmeyron a little bit ago. Hopefully they'll get it patched up soon. I have yet to CTD but I'm still in Act I.

I'm really astonished at how much fun I'm having with this game. I feel like a teenager playing The Bard's Tale or Pool of Radiance for the first time. Taking a break for the Super Bowl but I can't wait to get back to it.

I have no idea how far away I am from the Menthil Coast. I just finished Castle Portmeyron a little bit ago. Hopefully they'll get it patched up soon. I have yet to CTD but I'm still in Act I.

I'm really astonished at how much fun I'm having with this game. I feel like a teenager playing The Bard's Tale or Pool of Radiance for the first time. Taking a break for the Super Bowl but I can't wait to get back to it.

You've got a long way to go before hitting Menthil Coast. You will notice some choppy performance before that though.

Technical issues aside, I share the same sentiment about the gameplay itself. It's the most fun I've had with a dungeon crawler in quite some time.

I have faith that the developer will even out the rough edges. Judging by how many bugs are being reported, I expect it will take at least 2 or 3 big patches to get this game all evened out. I'll probably wait for a few patches to be released before a second play through.

Unfortunately my playing MMX has been brought to a standstill due to incredibly poor performance upon reaching the "Menthil Coast".

Performance was always a bit choppy in the forests of the overworld, but this area is unplayable for me. I have set all the graphic settings to LOW or OFF for the video to rule out settings being too high. The performance is exactly the same when all settings are maxed.

YouTube Clip

I'm curious, has anyone run a 4GB patcher against the M&MX executable? I have read on a few forums that the game appears to top out at 2GB memory allocation currently. Not sure how much the extra allocated memory would help with performance but it could be worth looking into.

I don’t have the game yet to test it myself, but based upon the surprising amount of positive feedback from users, I’m planning to pick it up this week. Really looking forward to diving into another old school adventure/dungeon crawler like this.

I'm loving it. Stopped playing dark souls and path of exile for this. Love the old school feel and the graphics aren't all that bad maxed out.

Haven't tried a 4GB patcher. However, there has been a lot of speculation that there may be some dodgey asset models that are the cause of some of the performance issues.

Reportedly, some assets have an unusually large polygon count. Many of the assets have been recylced from HoMM 6 and it is suggested some assets may not have been properly optimized for the MMX and the Unity Engine.

Well, I've put in about 60 hours... Completed all my Paragon quests, explored 100 % of the overworld, have more gold than I can spend for the moment and haven't even finished off chapter 3.

So far, I have not encountered any CTDs, but I have run into needing to reload a couple of times because after zoning into a new area I can't move because the game thinks I'm stuck in combat. The most annoying bug I've found so far is when the combat music gets stuck on and keeps playing - so annoying.

Besides that little bit the game is fantastic. Money well spent. Can't wait for the new content to come out for it.

I've put in about 4 hours so far and I'm really enjoying what little I've played.

It does feel very old school, which is great btw, but not outdated if that makes sense. I can see why people have had complaints about the graphics/textures but they really don't bother me. In fact, I kind of like the dated look, it kind of suits the game.

Anyway, might be too early to have a solid opinion but the game has already got its hooks in me. Looking forward to seeing what all is in store over the rest of Act 1.

I've put in about 4 hours so far and I'm really enjoying what little I've played.

It does feel very old school, which is great btw, but not outdated if that makes sense. I can see why people have had complaints about the graphics/textures but they really don't bother me. In fact, I kind of like the dated look, it kind of suits the game.

Anyway, might be too early to have a solid opinion but the game has already got its hooks in me. Looking forward to seeing what all is in store over the rest of Act 1.

So far, act 2 and 3 are quite a bit better than the 1st.

Just finished the game with a total of 60 hours logged. Very solid game, bugs and performance issues notwithstanding. Well worth the asking price.

Bought the game yesterday ... The memories of Dungeon Master, Ishar, Robinson Requiem. This is how you revive the classic. And seriously, what happened to Ubi? Management change, exorcisms, essence transfer, that from most hated dev, doing bad games as FarCry 2, and telling each of us is a thief, they transformed into makers of FC3, Blacklist, BloodDragon, AC4 and this gem?

I just got into Act 2 and mapped out Seahaven. Have so many quests, not even sure where to begin.

Heard this game has some serious memory issues and that it gobbles up as much as it can being a 32 bit application, but still doesn't perform well. Wonder why they don't release a 64 bit version...

I suspect very low budget and very small development team. It was fun; I still need to do the new dungeons added after the patch.

Game runs fine for me. On my second play through with no memory leaks or slowdowns. On my gaming rig it loads almost instantly on my laptop without an ssd it takes a bit to load but nothing that would cause me to not recommend the game. One of the best games I've played in a long time.

I recently revisited this game. The newer Nvidia drivers have some issues on Win 10. For example, in Elemental Forge the assassins have a shimmer effect/black boxes that looks like they are being transported up to the Enterprise. I rolled back to 365.19 and the problem was resolved. Just passing along in case anyone else has had issues.

Also, the game still runs like crap when you get out west of Seahaven. Very laggy and jerky when loading assets, and they pop in horribly. It's still quiet fun though.

Back