ubuntu and root account

eno-on

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi all, dumb ubuntu question here.
I installed ubuntu on a machine here (been through slackware, debian, and suse) and rather like it out of what I've tried. Only problem : doesn't ask me for a root account password on installation.. which means of course, I can't log in as root once it's installed. What am I missing here? Can't install drivers without being root...

Ubuntu have a strange way of dealing with the root acount (only strange since I dont use Ubuntu)

Everything is done through the sudo command

The account you made at install-time gets full-ROOT-sudo control

so while ls /root will fail due to permsiions sudo ls /root will work

see what I mean

Kinda. Thats. wierd. I tried su, then it asked me for the password, which there was none, and of course failed. So, there isn't a root account ot log into? I mean, I guess I could make an account and set it up to automatically give me admin permissions, but that seems kinda back-asswards... no? I could be wrong, I'm a total noob at this...

I started linux a week ago with ubuntu. I could logon to root with 'su' then root password.
after that I don't have to type sudo anymore. Not sure if that was proper way to logon as root, but it worked :)

No, su gives you Super User privelages, but it's not the same as root. But for all intents and purposes, it works fine. :)

I do like the sudo function as the most common account on linux is no longer active.

I'm a huge fan of Ubuntu with such a large compatibility plate, it's nice.

Nother prob with ubuntu that I didnt have with SUSE:

Trying to share some folders on the ubuntu machine over here, so that my windows machines can use the shared folders. I have them set up properly,
Code:
[servershare]
path = /home/mark/servershare
comment = ubuntu server
available = yes
browsable = yes
public = yes
writable = yes

When I try to connect to the linux box (it shows up in my windows network neighborhood) it asks for a username adn password. I give my own, or any of the others I've made to try.

The ubuntu box is able ot get shared folders adn files from the windows boxes without issue.

If this is a dumb question, point me to something htat will tell me how to fix this. 4 hours of googling has turned up shit I've already tried or really, nothing helpful.
Thanks again.

look up something about setting auth to shared vs account or something like that. I remember having that problem when I setup a mp3 server a while back. The box is gone now so I can look it up, sry.

Back