Ubuntu and school wifi, can't see/connect to the network

KevC

Supreme [H]ardness
Ubuntu's wifi works *great* at home. I have an 802.11b network here.

At school I also have an 802.11b. But it's kinda different as in it doesn't broadcast the SSID. It *is* DHCP and I have the SSID and password right.

However, it's set up such that I have to connect, *THEN* put in my ID and password for school on the first page of any browser (it automatically goes to that page) before I can access the internet.

Ubuntu doesn't even see the signal at all. I have the correct SSID and code in the Network Config.

I'm guessing Ubuntu doesn't realize that I have to put in my school ID and pass before accessing the internet? Is there a way around this? I don't really want to put XP back on for this, I've just gotten used to linux.

Thanks!

I would give a call to the network support guys at your school, I'm sure they would be more than happy to help you out

I did. They said "we do not support linux" and couldn't help me any further. I have doubts that they know more about networking than me haha. And I don't know much! All they're used to doing... setting DHCP and putting in the SSID and Pass.

Some schools have contracts with microsoft and intentionally make it a pain in the ass to use anything besides windows for their networks.

Make sure that firefox is not blocking a pop-up window. With my school, when I log in through the webpage, it opens up a secondary page behind...that really only happens on my window/linux lappy...not on the mac laptop.

Hm. Firefox in Windows worked fine. I'll check if they are using WEP or WPA sometime, thanks! Has anyone heard of this problem before?

When you tested it in Firefox Windows, did you notice whether or not the wireless network was secured, ie WPA/WEP enabled?

Also, try airsnort or something to make sure that your wireless card can see _something_ on that ssid they gave you.

I am NOT advocating using airsnort for anything nefarious, just as a diagnostic tool to try and see what in the heck your wireless card can actually see.

In firefox windows, my wifi card saw a network even before I put in my username/pass.

I'll try airsnort.

I checked ubuntu forums and somebody told me they had this problem with Hoary 5.04. It went away in Breezy 5.1. I'm not sure I want to use a preview release, but apparently it'll be out in a month so that shouldn't be that bad.

KevC said:
In firefox windows, my wifi card saw a network even before I put in my username/pass.

I'll try airsnort.

I checked ubuntu forums and somebody told me they had this problem with Hoary 5.04. It went away in Breezy 5.1. I'm not sure I want to use a preview release, but apparently it'll be out in a month so that shouldn't be that bad.

I havent had any problems since array 3, the preview release should be good to go. I highly doubt they are going to make any major changes before the release. GCC and Gnome have allready been upgraded, everything else is minor.

Your school is using a captive portal that will give you a school ip after you enter your username/password, if you log into windows and register the MAC of that NIC you should be able to log into linux and everything on the school's side will work fine.

O and not supporting linux is another way of saying hey we have more people to deal with, and yes we are -that- lazy.

Newbify2 said:
Your school is using a captive portal that will give you a school ip after you enter your username/password, if you log into windows and register the MAC of that NIC you should be able to log into linux and everything on the school's side will work fine.

Hm. I don't have my laptop dual-boot...

Sorry, I'm not at school now. Tomorrow I'll lug this bish to school (ugh, I'm such a weekling, 600m's "thin and light" is neither thin nor light for me with this giant astrophysics text.

After a while you get used to it, or you develop serious back problems. I've lugged a 15 inch Emachines laptop and a 15 inch powerbook along with 3 medium size hard-bound books from class to apartment (2 miles) a .75 miles of that was walking :) other was on the bicycle.

Back